REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Dogs in trucks and 10 over the speed limit

2 questions:

1) When having a dog in the bed of a pickup is it required by law that the dog be leashed, in a kennel, or free to roam? I have heard leashed in city and kennel on hwy. Can you confirm what the real law dictates?

2)The law states you cannot go over the posted speed limit on the hwy, but I regularly pass police officers cruising 10km/hr faster than the speed limit. Is this just an unwritten rule that they don't really care about 10km/hr over?
Also is this just a hwy thing or a every street thing?
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
The speed limit is the speed limit. Flow of traffic is often higher than the posted limit and in that situation I believe your allowed to keep up with the flow of traffic ( you still are speeding and could be pulled over even if the flow of traffic is speeding )

Berz out.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The speed limit is the speed limit. Flow of traffic is often higher than the posted limit and in that situation I believe your allowed to keep up with the flow of traffic ( you still are speeding and could be pulled over even if the flow of traffic is speeding )

Berz out.
You are not "allowed" to keep up with the flow of traffic. It's exactly as you said; the speed limit is the speed limit. Yes people exceed it without consequence every single day, but they are still breaking the law, and when people get a ticket they all come on here and bitch about it.

When you take your road test the first fucking tip on the sheet is exactly that, you need to drive the speed limit or you fail. Keeping up with the flow of traffic will get you a fail.

As for the dog thing, I have no idea what the rules are, are there even any?

Cause I see people driving with dogs on their lap, dogs in the bed of their truck, dogs with their heads and bodies almost completely out of the side of a window, etc.

These same people probably go around telling everyone how much they love their pets, and that their dog is like their child. Yet I'm willing to bet they buckle their child into a car seat, and they just let their dog chill in the bed of a pickup at 120km/h? Have fun at your dogs funeral when you get into an accident.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Dogs on your lap will net you a distracted driving ticket.

Driving under the flow of traffic on the highway is a hazard in most cases. So driving the speed limit on the highway when all the other vehicles are traveling 10 over, you actually create a problem for people trying to pass you just to maintain the flow.

Berz out.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Transporting animals
72 A person commits an offence if the person transports a living animal on the runningboard, fender, hood or other exterior part of a motor vehicle unless a suitable cage, carrier or guard rail is provided and is attached adequately to protect that animal from falling or being thrown from the vehicle.

As far as dogs on drivers laps go...I used to ask the owners why they were planning on killing their dog...in an emergency are you going to grab your dog or control the vehicle? When the airbag goes off in 1/20th of a second at 300kmh and makes puppy pizza of Benji on your shirt, how will you feel then? MY dogs ride in a carrier, inside the car, strapped in place by seatbelts.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
GO FLAMES GO

My dog travels in a strapped down carrier in my Cab in the winter and strapped down carrier in the bed in the summer, unless it is raining, then she is back in the cab.

I was just curious as i see people with unleashed dogs walking all around the beds of their trucks, thought that might be frowned upon. But i guess as long as it has a full bed with sidewalls it is legal as per the law.

im not sure why the lap dog thing was brought up. it wasnt part of the original question.

In regards to the speed thing. I know exactly what the law is and .000005km/hr over the speed limit is illegal. Any retard knows that.

I want to know your or fellow officers take on how they personally feel about 10km over.

Working in the emergency services i know many officers in kamloops and most of them dont really care about 10km/hr(in good conditions), but if ur inching over that then they will pull you over. I guess i answered my own question since i have asked friends before, but i was interested in a broader groups answer(only an officer could actually answer).

In regards to those differing opinions about flow of traffic. I travel from kamloops to vancouver very frequently. speed limit is 120 from kamloops to hope. I set my cruise at 130. I pass officers when it is just us on the road. some officers are traveling at my speed; some faster. Maybe GVRD highways are different for how an officer deals with it, but on the coquihalla i pass RCMP every trip and never had a problem in over 13 years. Im that guy who will pass everyone who is in the slow lane behind the officer and then pass the officer. Occasionally, i will catch a glimpse of him checking his speedo as I pass, or whatever computerized radar he has to gauge my speed, but never pulled over.
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

In regards to those differing opinions about flow of traffic. I travel from kamloops to vancouver very frequently. speed limit is 120 from kamloops to hope. I set my cruise at 130. I pass officers when it is just us on the road. some officers are traveling at my speed; some faster. Maybe GVRD highways are different for how an officer deals with it, but on the coquihalla i pass RCMP every trip and never had a problem in over 13 years. Im that guy who will pass everyone who is in the slow lane behind the officer and then pass the officer. Occasionally, i will catch a glimpse of him checking his speedo as I pass, or whatever computerized radar he has to gauge my speed, but never pulled over.[/QUOTE]

We usually go for the biggest fish in the school....at 10 over you are not usually that fish....BUT....some day you may be swimnming alone...or in a school of sardines and you become dinner that time. Choose to break the law and ignore the "Maximum" part of the sign and you are liable to get caught...how likely....depends on the day and the circumstances.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
depends on the day and the circumstances.
So getting picked off is more a function of convenience than safety?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Driving under the flow of traffic on the highway is a hazard in most cases. So driving the speed limit on the highway when all the other vehicles are traveling 10 over, you actually create a problem for people trying to pass you just to maintain the flow.
Not debating the fact that travelling slower than the flow of traffic doesn't make you a hazard. It does, and I definitely am not one of those people who stubbornly sticks to artificially low speed limits.

Just pointing out the fact that "going with the flow" is not an excuse if you get pulled over for speeding.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

As far as dogs on drivers laps go...I used to ask the owners why they were planning on killing their dog...in an emergency are you going to grab your dog or control the vehicle? When the airbag goes off in 1/20th of a second at 300kmh and makes puppy pizza of Benji on your shirt, how will you feel then? MY dogs ride in a carrier, inside the car, strapped in place by seatbelts.
I see this too many times. I see people almost lose control too cause the dog jumps in front of them or sits up and blocks their view. I don't know what they are thinking. If they love their dog that much, then they should show it properly by restraining them properly in the vehicle. They wouldn't (I least I hope not) let their toddler sit on their lap when driving, why leg their dog?
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #11
GO FLAMES GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
That is stupid, you know that's not what he means. You know that is not the case. Driving 10km over on 90% of roads in BC does not create a safety hazard (in proper conditions), if anything it creates less road rage and a safer driving environment. I'm not saying raise speed limits. I'm saying that giving that buffer to drivers makes them feel a little better when ur stuck behind that brutally slow car that is going the speed limit.

The cops can't win with people like you. Next ur gonna get pulled over for talking on ur cell and say "don't these guys have better things to do like catch robbers and murders than pull me over for talking on my cell?!"

Youre given a buffer. Just enjoy it and don't abuse it
Club-Integra.net OG
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Both of those, in their widest possible definitions, aree considerations when making a traffic stop...they are not the only ones though.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I remember the other year the cops were on the news. Any animal in the vehicle needs to be in a carrier strapped in.

That being said I think most cops don't know that or are just too busy to bother
Flatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
oh come on man, throw old sheets or something over the seats in the rear and let the dog ride in the back seat.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Where I am, they have this municipal bylaw

Quote:
15. Transportation of Animals
No person may transport an animal in a vehicle outside the passenger compartment unless it is
confined in a pen or a cage, or unless it is secured in a body harness or other manner of fastening
to prevent it from jumping or falling off the vehicle or otherwise injuring itself.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
The cops can't win with people like you. Next ur gonna get pulled over for talking on ur cell and say "don't these guys have better things to do like catch robbers and murders than pull me over for talking on my cell?!"
Muderers be like, "don't these guys have better things to do like catch people texting and driving?"

There's no winning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 PM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Most non-traffic cops don't really have time to pull over general speeders or people with dogs on their laps.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
In regards to the speed thing. I know exactly what the law is and .000005km/hr over the speed limit is illegal. Any retard knows that.
I think there's technically there's a tolerance allowed for speedo error, but it's something small like 3% or 3km/h.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #19
RS Peace Officer

Technically no there is not...it is an absolute liability offence...80 k means 80k...even 1 kmh above is breaking the law....technically.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Technically you're breaking the law, but can you actually be charged for it? There's a physics joke in here somewhere but highschool was too long ago for me to sort it out.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Talking about going 1km over the limit is stupid anyways, cops aren't going to ticket you for it. At the end of the day is the message to drive at a speed reasonably close to the limit with your eyes on the road, or looking down at your speedo every 3 seconds to make sure the needle doesn't creep a hair over?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:12 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Talking about going 1km over the limit is stupid anyways, cops aren't going to ticket you for it. At the end of the day is the message to drive at a speed reasonably close to the limit with your eyes on the road, or looking down at your speedo every 3 seconds to make sure the needle doesn't creep a hair over?
You may not get ticketed for it but it's reason enough to pull you over and make sure everything's "alright".
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
You may not get ticketed for it but it's reason enough to pull you over and make sure everything's "alright".
I suppose but in my 15 years of driving, 7 of them in a car that wouldn't pass a VI, I've never been pulled over for some BS reason to get checked out. I used to wonder why certain people always would complain about cops harassing them even though we drove similar cars, and then I drove shotgun with one and it became pretty clear.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Technically you're breaking the law, but can you actually be charged for it?
Sure you can. Of course, the courts would probably be inundated with disputes and a good portion of them would probably win, and cops dishing them out like candy would probably receive a stern smackdown from the court... reason enough to let a few k over slide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I suppose but in my 15 years of driving, 7 of them in a car that wouldn't pass a VI, I've never been pulled over for some BS reason to get checked out. I used to wonder why certain people always would complain about cops harassing them even though we drove similar cars, and then I drove shotgun with one and it became pretty clear.
Yeah, I had a Civic that was low and loud as hell that would never pass VI. I never got pulled over and even when stopping for roadblocks, I never got VI'ed in 2 years. My friends would complain about being harrassed all the time and sure enough, they drove like dicks. One even flipped his lowered Civic on 29th Ave. I can only imagine how fast he was going there to be able to do that.

I sold the car as I got tired of it (it was rather quite uncomfortable to drive cause it was so stiff and loud) and now enjoy a nice plush ride in a minivan...LOL.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote