REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

My Saab can deal with 87, but it boosts higher and feels quicker on 94. The Volvo with the high compression ratio and the turbo needs 94 or in a pinch 91 to prevent knocking. I prefer to use 94 mainly due to the no ethanol content and hopefully slow the deterioration of the fuel lines that ethanol causes.
Advertisement
Zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

my 95 corolla i had b4, i used to run 87 but it knocks, tried 91 and higher and it quiet the car right down... and they said no difference? that is bs... my Sentra Spec V had noticeable difference in power even just between 91 and 94 octane... i am not gonna risk my Lexus when it recommends premium only...
95 AE101L -sold-
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
It's as simple as the compression of your engine and conditions under which you drive, higher compression engines require higher octane gasoline. It's not rocket science, don't bother paying for 91 if you don't need it. The owner's manual for my S10 states that 87 is fine, my old Jetta had a label on the gas cap that said to use 91 octane ONLY.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I only put 94 in my Honda lawn mower
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
so conclusion of this thread is that all grades are about the same quality?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
This has always been a question of mine though. The gas companies claim to put in more additives in their premium gasolines, so theoretically speaking if one chooses to use premium gasoline in their vehicles that only require 87, would they theoretically be protecting the engine better given the higher level of additives (cleaning agents) as well as the higher detonation point of higher octane fuel reducing the chance of knock? Someone school me on this!
Technically yes, octane rating is resistance to knock so higher octane means less chance of knock. The only time increasing octane will help the vehicle is if it's knocking with the lower octane. But increasing it further won't do anything more for the car, you're wasting money by adding protection that wouldn't be needed.

Here's an example, if you have a car that weighs 2000lbs and you try to lift it with an 1800lb jack, it's likely to fail (knock). If you have a jack rated for 2200lbs it will lift it no problem. So there's no point buying a 2500lb jack or a 3000lb jack because you're just adding to a margin that isn't needed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:07 PM   #32
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

My opinion,
1- could be those with the older vehicles see a difference due to carbon build-up and/or blow-by (since the vehicles are older, more wear on the engine) creates hot spots in the combustion chamber that cause the engine to not run properly (pre-ignite or knock, you don't necessarily hear or feel it) and the higher octane fuel "band-aids" the situation.
2- In a newer healthy engine, higher octane will make you car run differently, loose power and may lead to deposit build up in the engine due to the unburned higher octane fuel your engine/ecu isn't designed to be working with
3-I encourage everyone to try different fuel brands, check your current consumption, then try a different brand same octane, check your consumption again, repeat with another brand. You'd be surprised how it can affect your vehicle.

4- It's your vehicle, feel free to fill it with whatever you want, whatever makes you happy
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote