REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
motorcycles + lane splitting

Lately I've been noticing a LOT of riders doing this.

I know its illegal and extremely stupid to do, yet time after time, I see it happening. A few days ago I was at a red light at Canada way and Kensington and right as the light turned green a guy on his bike ripped beside me and a bus with his girlfriend on the back doing at least 60k+ while the rest of traffic was maybe just getting up to 10k. Seen him 2 or 3 times in that general area doing it, and again today, on Boundary road near Kingsway, traffic is going slow to the point where its at a dead stop going north bound, and again, douche bag just rides between the two lanes at a speed where if I was watching him from behind me as he passes me, I'd have to snap my neck to keep my eyes on him.

You could send pictures of people texting/on the phone while driving, but what about dash cam videos of things like this? I'd rather see someone like this get busted before someone on a phone does
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

You can contact the police of jurisdiction and provide the licence plate and dash cam footage if you have it. Even if no one is able to respond right away, they'd hopefully at least talk to the rider and, if there are multiple complaints and/or video of it, they may be able to issue a ticket/set up and wait for him/her.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
every cyclist splits on the right. fuck it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I dont make the laws in bc but I strongly believe lane filtering (cutting into the front at a red) and splitting on the right side in stand still traffic at a SAFE speed of a maximum of 30kmph should be allowed. Bikes are able to avoid being rear ended and they are speeding up traffic since they accelerate much quicker from a stop.

When I see people lane splitting at 50kmph+ it's pretty ridiculous.. I hope these people don't ruin it for everyone.

Sorry, little off topic
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

Splitting on the far right lane is one thing as you've somewhat of a buffer zone between you and the sidewalk/shoulder, but splitting between two vehicles is just flat out stupid...you've no escape route. My mirrors stick out quite a ways and if I were to be beside another truck with wide mirrors, they'll either rip them off and give themselves a well deserved headache, or they'll be crouching as low as they can go, if they can make it that low that fast, if not, I'm not budging over an inch. Id be more inclined to move closer than to move further.

If theres any "you'd do the same if you could" talk, I can say right now, I have a bike, and I wont do it for safety reasons. Theres a lot of shitty drivers out there who I wouldn't trust holding a glass of water.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Lane filtering IS done for safety.
When done properly, slow speeds, it is safer for the rider to filter than sit in stop and go traffic as rear end accidents a common for motorcyclists.

There is nothing unsafe about filtering, but doing 60k through cars is just idiotic. I agree 100% with DN53

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Lane filtering IS done for safety.
When done properly, slow speeds, it is safer for the rider to filter than sit in stop and go traffic as rear end accidents a common for motorcyclists.

There is nothing unsafe about filtering, but doing 60k through cars is just idiotic. I agree 100% with DN53

Based on my previous career as an investigator of thousands of crashes, a Motor Cop, a rider with some 53 years experience and my current career as a riding/driving instructor and BC Supreme Court expert witness on motorcycle safety and riding techniques....I disagree 100%!

Chosing to ride withing a couple of inches of a vehicle whose driver does not expect you to be there is an unacceptable risk. I used to train Police riders to filter thru during extreme emergency situations but that was dropped as an unacceptable risk. It's bad enough being in a car with sheet metal, crush zones and airbags to protect you, when drivers wander in lanes, change lanes without looking or signaling, put on makeup, text, eat food, talk on cell phones (both kinds), talk with pasasengers, try to find an address...yadda yadda yadda...BUT on a bike you have none of those protective devices...just your skin and bones.

As far as rear end crashes go...pay attention while you are stopped in traffic. Don't choose to sit 2 feet off the bumper ahead of you...wait about 4 car lengths back and then move slowly ahead as traffic arrives behind you. USE your mirrors..see someone coming up fast behind and you will have enough space to move put of their way. Less than 5% of crashes are rear enders...worry about the turning vehicle in front of you...about 2/3 of them cause the crashes. Car drivers will kill you...stay as far away as possible and do not volunteer to trust them with yoiur safety by getting up close and personal when you have another option .
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #8
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
in most cases that the majority of people would filter would be in gridlocked traffic or traffic travelling 0kph. i think at that speed the risk is greatly reduced, provided you aren't doing 60k your self.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Based on my previous career as an investigator of thousands of crashes, a Motor Cop, a rider with some 53 years experience and my current career as a riding/driving instructor and BC Supreme Court expert witness on motorcycle safety and riding techniques....I disagree 100%!

Chosing to ride withing a couple of inches of a vehicle whose driver does not expect you to be there is an unacceptable risk. I used to train Police riders to filter thru during extreme emergency situations but that was dropped as an unacceptable risk. It's bad enough being in a car with sheet metal, crush zones and airbags to protect you, when drivers wander in lanes, change lanes without looking or signaling, put on makeup, text, eat food, talk on cell phones (both kinds), talk with pasasengers, try to find an address...yadda yadda yadda...BUT on a bike you have none of those protective devices...just your skin and bones.

As far as rear end crashes go...pay attention while you are stopped in traffic. Don't choose to sit 2 feet off the bumper ahead of you...wait about 4 car lengths back and then move slowly ahead as traffic arrives behind you. USE your mirrors..see someone coming up fast behind and you will have enough space to move put of their way. Less than 5% of crashes are rear enders...worry about the turning vehicle in front of you...about 2/3 of them cause the crashes. Car drivers will kill you...stay as far away as possible and do not volunteer to trust them with yoiur safety by getting up close and personal when you have another option .
You may disagree but there are MANY studies that will confirm what I have said.

Legal lane filtering (moving forward through stationary or very slow moving traffic at a slow (safe) speed it results in far fewer motorcycle related incidence.
Give your profession, you see the people who are the accidents more than you would the ones who are not. Also, where we are, people are not accustom to this practice so they are not expecting vehicles to pass them like this. That is one of the reasons why it may not be the safest practice here, however the concept and practice in other places in this world work t improve rider safety when done properly.

In Vancouver, I have seen it done and many times at high rates of speed in places that its just plane stupid.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #10

Having lived in a place (Thailand) where the motorcycles essentially rule the road and lane-splitting at reds is commonplace and you get looked at funny if you don't do it, I know that it can work. The issue is the LMD (and I would guess most of North America) and the drivers that learn to drive here and only know how to drive here.

It worked perfectly there because everyone knew that thats what happened and did it themselves, so they knew to be cognizant of the motorcycles. It will likely never truly work here because there are too many bad drivers who never look outside the bubble of whats right in front of their faces. They have a hard enough time not colliding with other cars at a standstill, let alone motorcycles filtering up to the front of the line.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
VAC Head Rotang Mod

that's the thing though.
yes we are not used to it, so it will be a culture shock, but how else to change than to be exposed to the factor that initiates the change..

you fail 100% of the things you don't attempt.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
If they wanted to pass a law about lane filtering, there would have to be a massive campaign of knowledge going on too. News segments, in the 24/metro news, radio commercials, everything!

As a rider, the only time I would be tempted to lane split is riding the hard shoulder in grid lock highway traffic in 30+ degree weather. I have not done it yet, but I would be damn tempted. Other vehicles on the road will still flip out, get angry, honk etc because you are "cheating". But you are in a full leather body suit in direct sunlight sitting on top of an engine. Non-riders will never understand how temping that 15km/h breeze is unless they have been in that situation
Old 08-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #13

I remember seeing this episode one day before I had left for work.

T.V show - Don't drive here

He's in Thailand and they're on moped/motorcycles. At one point he says "No wonder somebody dies more than once an hour in this country on a motorcycle". Sure enough, few seconds later in the clip, he gets a minor fender bender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
If they wanted to pass a law about lane filtering, there would have to be a massive campaign of knowledge going on too. News segments, in the 24/metro news, radio commercials, everything!

As a rider, the only time I would be tempted to lane split is riding the hard shoulder in grid lock highway traffic in 30+ degree weather. I have not done it yet, but I would be damn tempted. Other vehicles on the road will still flip out, get angry, honk etc because you are "cheating". But you are in a full leather body suit in direct sunlight sitting on top of an engine. Non-riders will never understand how temping that 15km/h breeze is unless they have been in that situation
I know exactly what you mean about getting that 15km/h breeze and how helpful it can be while sitting on a hot bike in 30 deg weather. I know its tempting, but I still wouldn't do it. I chose to ride the bike, I'll take the traffic that comes with it. The people that do split lanes here, I think of them no differently than the young self entitled brats in Vancouver, "I can fit between cars at a red light and I will. I'll get to the front faster than you sucker!!! I've a bike, you've a car, I win!"

Last edited by stewie; 08-29-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
When bikes are filtering through stopped traffic, what do you do when the traffic starts moving again? Now you've got 1 too many vehicles wide on the road and you're surrounded by lots of people who may not know you're there. If you split on the far right you give yourself a buffer but you're at the mercy of anyone who may pull out to the right for whatever reason.

BB6 I'd like to see some of those studies, no offense but knowing Zulu's experiences I'm going to take his statements over someone elses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Having lived in a place (Thailand) where the motorcycles essentially rule the road and lane-splitting at reds is commonplace and you get looked at funny if you don't do it, I know that it can work. The issue is the LMD (and I would guess most of North America) and the drivers that learn to drive here and only know how to drive here.

It worked perfectly there because everyone knew that thats what happened and did it themselves, so they knew to be cognizant of the motorcycles. It will likely never truly work here because there are too many bad drivers who never look outside the bubble of whats right in front of their faces. They have a hard enough time not colliding with other cars at a standstill, let alone motorcycles filtering up to the front of the line.
Thailand isn't exactly a mecca of road safety so I wouldn't be looking there for any kind of useful advice.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner. Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting. Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

Here's somewhere with similar driving laws.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/tra...20Analysis.pdf

Last edited by corollagtSr5; 08-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #16

^ It's not illegal in California, but here's a video and in the title it says "This is in California where lane splitting is legal."

then there's this guys video, I've yet to search up the stats that hes talking about, but I'll be looking into it later on tonight.

Like everyone I know who doesn't ride tells me - "its not if you'll crash, its when you'll crash".

Or as the nurse I seeing on and off years ago told me - "oooh you ride a bike???? they're nice, and thank you for being an organ donar."

I may put up a rant about this, but in the end, its illegal here, and if anyone wants to lane split and ends up with a serious injury...they wont get a single drop of sympathy from me.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
They were mentioning Thailand so I used California where they have similar laws where it's legal. Anyways, that motorcycle is going pretty fast. Also that vehicle switched lanes on a solid line, which is illegal. That link I posted is statistics in California. The idea is to reduce rider damage from being rear ended as well as reduce traffic congestion as you are a faster vehicles. It's illegal here so you shouldn't be doing it.

"Proponents of lane splitting state the Hurt Report of 1981 reached the conclusion that lane splitting improves motorcycle safety by reducing rear end crashes.[21] Lane splitting supporters also state that the US DOT FARS database shows that fatalities from rear end collisions into motorcycles are 30% lower in California than in Florida or Texas, states with similar riding seasons and populations but which do not lane split."
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Thailand isn't exactly a mecca of road safety so I wouldn't be looking there for any kind of useful advice.
The city I lived in was small enough that the number of collisions due to lane splitting was low. Then again, people actually drove in a manner that made sense there, too. The larger, urban centres were a different story. You'd have never caught me riding in Bangkok. This was also 16 years ago as well, so things have changed a bit.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
They were mentioning Thailand so I used California where they have similar laws where it's legal. Anyways, that motorcycle is going pretty fast. Also that vehicle switched lanes on a solid line, which is illegal. That link I posted is statistics in California. The idea is to reduce rider damage from being rear ended as well as reduce traffic congestion as you are a faster vehicles. It's illegal here so you shouldn't be doing it.

"Proponents of lane splitting state the Hurt Report of 1981 reached the conclusion that lane splitting improves motorcycle safety by reducing rear end crashes.[21] Lane splitting supporters also state that the US DOT FARS database shows that fatalities from rear end collisions into motorcycles are 30% lower in California than in Florida or Texas, states with similar riding seasons and populations but which do not lane split."
yup, illegal to switch lanes on a solid line, but if you take hwy 1 and look at the hov lane, its only dotted close to exits/on ramps, but that doesn't stop thousands of people a day from jumping in and out of that lane. Especially if its rush hour and their in the hov lane to carpool, traffic is less than desirable and they need to get out of the hov lane soon. They don't wait till the last second to leave when the lane breaks into dotted lines, they get out when they find a gap that they can squeeze into.

Anyways, I'm not going to drag this on, I said what I wanted to say about how I've been noticing it happening lately and how unsafe the riders are when they do it and since its illegal, was their anything that can be done about it.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
When bikes are filtering through stopped traffic, what do you do when the traffic starts moving again? Now you've got 1 too many vehicles wide on the road and you're surrounded by lots of people who may not know you're there. If you split on the far right you give yourself a buffer but you're at the mercy of anyone who may pull out to the right for whatever reason.

BB6 I'd like to see some of those studies, no offense but knowing Zulu's experiences I'm going to take his statements over someone elses.

As fun as it would be to spend a considerable amount of time finding these studies. The easier and perhaps more real world look at this is to take a look at well developed countries that allow this practice (done in a safe manner, not huge speed wiping between cars). The UK for example, they implemented this system and saw a drastic decline in traffic fatalities because of it.
California is in the process of making this practice legal because it is SAFER for road users.

But for a quick example.
UC Berkeley Study Finds Lane-Splitting Is Safe If You're Smart

Lane Splitting

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/asse...ay-29-2015.pdf

I say again, the reason why Zulu has seen a less than stellar result from this is because no one here is expecting this. It is not a common practice and no one is educated on it, resulting in idiots on bikes doing high speeds between vehicles not expecting to be passed in the manner. When done to ease congestion and improve safety (passing in safe areas at slow speeds in near stationary or stationary traffic, its proven time and time again that it is a safe practice and improves road safety).

This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 AM   #21

Also worth sharing.

Lane Splitting Resources & Links - Lane Splitting is Legal in California

Here is a collection of studies pertaining to legal lane filtering in California. This would be the best comparison to a city like Vancouver and most if not all results would be the same as found in these studies.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

When I was driving in California, I was surprised the first time a motorcycle raced past me on the interstate. I soon realized it was legal and whenever I merge or change lanes, I'd look to make sure there wasn't a motorcycle coming up my side before making the move.

For me, I personally don't mind a motorcycle coming up from behind when I'm stopped at a light and getting in front of me. I'd rather not be holding him back by having him behind me. If he moves in front of me when we're stopped, I'm fine with that as he won't be in my way and I won't be in his way.

I do think though that given how oblivious to everything around them that some drivers here are, I'd say the motorcyclists are taking chances whenever they do that though.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #23
VAC Head Rotang Mod

^ Lane splitting in CA is only legal at speeds below 35mph.

so if you were doing hwy speed and a bike blasted past you between lanes, definitely illegal.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #24

CHP states when and how its legal in Cali.

"From the CHP Guidelines:

Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).
Never drive while distracted.
You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by:
Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency
"

When done PROPERLY it is something that will cut down congestion and improve rider safety. Sadly, there are a LOT of idiots on bikes that don't follow the rules.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #25
2 Wheelin' Mod

Usually only lane split on 91 before the 72nd lights only person that has tried to stop me is a trucker and I just went around him on the other side. I have passed police cars and none of them seemed to care but I'm not flying down the shoulder either
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: