REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Apple iPad pro

Is it tine to upgrade from my iPad3??

Advertisement
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
I am an apple fanboy but I think this is an niche product. Most consumer will not find much use for it beside the initial hype
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
it has the potential to be a disruptive product, but the biggest drawback is that it's being released with iOS9
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Hyperbolic video as always... The only relevant thing is its size. So if you want a giant ipad, go for it!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
if you're planning to be out and about taking pictures with this monstrosity, please go ahead and kill yourself now.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
I am an apple fanboy but I think this is an niche product. Most consumer will not find much use for it beside the initial hype
said everyone about the original ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Isn't it the same price as the Surface Pro 3?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

Surface Pro is x86, you can't compare the two. One is a real PC, one is a toy (that serves some specific applications)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
so you can't use full fledged Adobe editing software on this?
was hoping they throw in a whopping 5K display
I'm wondering if tthe bezels are too thin that makes it awkard to hold a 13" slab
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Giant iPad for me to play Hearthstone... not that I would...
The ability to use Office as demo'd is neat...but aside from that, those instances demo'd are rarely used, can it be done on the surface pro?
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I'm wondering if tthe bezels are too thin that makes it awkard to hold a 13" slab
Nope it's a toy. You can do things that demo nicely and look impressive, but nothing actually useful.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:34 AM   #12

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Business users have been complaining the iPad size is too small for presentation. I also find it small when teaching a class of 5 adults, always need a projector.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:16 AM   #13

Even if it was a 30" screen it would be too small... that's why they have projectors
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Adobe has 3 new applications made for this that work, comes out like November.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The Surface Pro 3 has enjoyed success, so I see no reason this iPad cannot emulate its popularity. The form factor of the two products is similar if not identical. There are many people who prefer the Apple aura over Microsoft, just look in your local Starbucks. It appears Apple is trying to target this device more towards content creation.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Nope it's a toy. You can do things that demo nicely and look impressive, but nothing actually useful.
Whether something is a toy is purely subjective. I think the way people use technology has change greatly in the past few years.

Just because it doesn't have any note worthy spec or even full version os doesn't mean that it can't be use for work. What is consider using technology for Work is also very subjective.

Case in point the surface pro 3, great tablet. Versatile and ran full version os. But a lot of the people that brought it simply to ran PowerPoint and excel and word document, they can now accomplish the same thing on the iPad pro with less processing power and spec and what not. Is the person is doing excel is a inferior spec tablet not doing work vs the same guy doing excel on a superior spec tablet?

Similar the surface pro can ran full photoshop software (how well I can't attest) the iPad pro can't. But designer can use some specialize app for the iOS to do ui stretches drafts on the spot while having a meeting with the client are they not doing work because they are using a "toy"

I see the toy justification. Majority of the people are going to use it to play games and to surf on the shitter, but t doesn't discount the fact that dumb down device like iPad CAN be a workhorse.

One thing that dumb down device like iPad family excel in my opinion are industry specific apps and program. Stuff like healthcare for example could benefit from having an app for a specific function that doesn't really need a high spec to ran.

I use iPads and even my dumb iPhone for work everyday. I use app specifically made for the iOS to interact with industry specific hardware. Table like surface pro simply have no place in my daily work interaction. Do I see the benefit of having usb or having a full os etc? I do but it simply have no place in my workplace where I need to get an icon bring up the app and for it to work in less than 10 second and continue working in the same app for the next 5 hours. In short me working with a tablet at work consist of couple main apps I use and rely on. None of these app require very high spec but due to the poplarity of iPad and ios's hardware unity, it is only available on iOS.

Just want to throw it out there. I think the days of needing fully spec out machine to do work is long gone. All industry are utilizing tech in their own way and alot simply do not need a full spec work horse of a tablet or computer. and that yes iPad can be and are used for work, however absurd it may seem to advanced tech users.

Before being called out for being an apple fanboy. I admit I am. And I also have to admit I have a surface pro 3 in Addition to my iPad. Ironically the surface pro 3 is also use for work, I use it to ran a very specific program that simply will not happen on the iPad. In that sense I use whatever technology that's best for the job.

The difference however end when work finish. When it comes to relaxing dicking around and generally not working, I always go for the iPad.

Last edited by threezero; 09-10-2015 at 10:53 AM.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The Surface Pro 3 has enjoyed success, so I see no reason this iPad cannot emulate its popularity. The form factor of the two products is similar if not identical. There are many people who prefer the Apple aura over Microsoft, just look in your local Starbucks. It appears Apple is trying to target this device more towards content creation.
i think you're missing the point of the surface. nobody bought a surface because they wanted a microsoft tablet, everyone bought one because it has the form factor of a tablet but its a full blown pc.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
It's iOS though, kinda hard to do content creation on a mobile OS.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
I've got an ipad 4.

About the only thing I find it's useful for is streaming TV on my kitchen counter.
So that's where it spends its life.

Even for just surfing the web, I can't stand the thing and would rather grab my laptop.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Whether something is a toy is purely subjective. I think the way people use technology has change greatly in the past few years.

Just because it doesn't have any note worthy spec or even full version os doesn't mean that it can't be use for work. What is consider using technology for Work is also very subjective.

Case in point the surface pro 3, great tablet. Versatile and ran full version os. But a lot of the people that brought it simply to ran PowerPoint and excel and word document, they can now accomplish the same thing on the iPad pro with less processing power and spec and what not. Is the person is doing excel is a inferior spec tablet not doing work vs the same guy doing excel on a superior spec tablet?

Similar the surface pro can ran full photoshop software (how well I can't attest) the iPad pro can't. But designer can use some specialize app for the iOS to do ui stretches drafts on the spot while having a meeting with the client are they not doing work because they are using a "toy"

I see the toy justification. Majority of the people are going to use it to play games and to surf on the shitter, but t doesn't discount the fact that dumb down device like iPad CAN be a workhorse.

One thing that dumb down device like iPad family excel in my opinion are industry specific apps and program. Stuff like healthcare for example could benefit from having an app for a specific function that doesn't really need a high spec to ran.

I use iPads and even my dumb iPhone for work everyday. I use app specifically made for the iOS to interact with industry specific hardware. Table like surface pro simply have no place in my daily work interaction. Do I see the benefit of having usb or having a full os etc? I do but it simply have no place in my workplace where I need to get an icon bring up the app and for it to work in less than 10 second and continue working in the same app for the next 5 hours. In short me working with a tablet at work consist of couple main apps I use and rely on. None of these app require very high spec but due to the poplarity of iPad and ios's hardware unity, it is only available on iOS.

Just want to throw it out there. I think the days of needing fully spec out machine to do work is long gone. All industry are utilizing tech in their own way and alot simply do not need a full spec work horse of a tablet or computer. and that yes iPad can be and are used for work, however absurd it may seem to advanced tech users.

Before being called out for being an apple fanboy. I admit I am. And I also have to admit I have a surface pro 3 in Addition to my iPad. Ironically the surface pro 3 is also use for work, I use it to ran a very specific program that simply will not happen on the iPad. In that sense I use whatever technology that's best for the job.

The difference however end when work finish. When it comes to relaxing dicking around and generally not working, I always go for the iPad.
Yup that's why in my other reply I said that it can support some specific applications. There are definitely some instances where a tablet is extremely useful.

I really do miss having one around the house, I really enjoyed watching TV on it before bed. Now I do that on my computer, and I seem to stay up a lot later because of it.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #21

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Adobe slip-up suggests iPad Pro comes with 4GB of RAM | Ars Technica

Im interested now.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #22
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I have tablets all over the house that I've collected over the years. Galaxy Tab 10 that I got as a freebie from Telus sits on the coffee table collecting dust. Nexus 7 I won from a tech conference sits on my night stand collecting dust. iPad 3 I got from work sits next to the toilet to play a few quick games.

When it comes down to it, there isn't anything I can do on a tablet that I can't do on a smartphone and a tablet can't do everything I can do on my laptop... and my Yosemite/Windows 10 dual boot Dell Precision M3800 ultrabook is one kick ass laptop.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I have tablets all over the house that I've collected over the years. Galaxy Tab 10 that I got as a freebie from Telus sits on the coffee table collecting dust. Nexus 7 I won from a tech conference sits on my night stand collecting dust. iPad 3 I got from work sits next to the toilet to play a few quick games.

When it comes down to it, there isn't anything I can do on a tablet that I can't do on a smartphone and a tablet can't do everything I can do on my laptop... and my Yosemite/Windows 10 dual boot Dell Precision M3800 ultrabook is one kick ass laptop.
If you're willing to part with one of the 10" ones for cheap please let me know!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #24
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
It's iOS though, kinda hard to do content creation on a mobile OS.
Exactly. Doing some actual work on my iPad Air vs my Surface Pro 3 is a no brainer.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #25
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I just recently broke my iPad air2 (cracked the screen)

fixing it is about $300-400 range and I have decided to use it until the iPad pro comes out, and trade up!

I feel kind of shitty buying the same iPad again so at least this one is an upgrade =/
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote