REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Strata Bylaws vs Strata Property Act

Need some advice on a bylaw over window replace/repair. Recently my town-homes master bedroom window started leaking and I've asked strata to replace/repair the window. Strata came back saying it will be my out of pocket responsibility to repair for the window.

My friends town-home had the same issue with his window and his strata repaired the window.

Did some research and came across the Strata Property Act

Strata Property Act

Repair and maintenance of property by strata corporation
8 The strata corporation must repair and maintain all of the following:
(a) common assets of the strata corporation;
(b) common property that has not been designated as limited common property;
(c) limited common property, but the duty to repair and maintain it is restricted to
(i) repair and maintenance that in the ordinary course of events occurs less often than once a year, and
(ii) the following, no matter how often the repair or maintenance ordinarily occurs:
(A) the structure of a building;
(B) the exterior of a building;
(C) chimneys, stairs, balconies and other things attached to the exterior of a building;
(D) doors, windows and skylights on the exterior of a building or that front on the common property;

Strata Bylaws has the following ---

Windows

(1) No awnings or shades shall be erected over and outside of those windows visible from the common property.

(2) Repair and cleaning of windows is the owner's responsibility.

So the problem is , does the Strata Property Act supersede my Strata bylaw?

Any advice would be appreciated
Advertisement
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Strata property act supersede's the bylaws.
Strata bylaws are set of the strata.

From your first link.

Quote:
Repair and maintenance of property by owner
2 (1) An owner must repair and maintain the owner's strata lot, except for repair and maintenance that is the responsibility of the strata corporation under these bylaws.
Quote:
Repair and maintenance of property by strata corporation
8 The strata corporation must repair and maintain all of the following:

(a) common assets of the strata corporation;
(b) common property that has not been designated as limited common property;
(c) limited common property, but the duty to repair and maintain it is restricted to
(i) repair and maintenance that in the ordinary course of events occurs less often than once a year, and
(ii) the following, no matter how often the repair or maintenance ordinarily occurs:
(A) the structure of a building;
(B) the exterior of a building;
(C) chimneys, stairs, balconies and other things attached to the exterior of a building;
(D) doors, windows and skylights on the exterior of a building or that front on the common property;
(E) fences, railings and similar structures that enclose patios, balconies and yards;
(d) a strata lot in a strata plan that is not a bare land strata plan, but the duty to repair and maintain it is restricted to
(i) the structure of a building,
(ii) the exterior of a building,
(iii) chimneys, stairs, balconies and other things attached to the exterior of a building,
(iv) doors, windows and skylights on the exterior of a building or that front on the common property, and
(v) fences, railings and similar structures that enclose patios, balconies and yards.
Sounds like you may have a pretty retarded strata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
7) Unenforceable Bylaws and Rules
A bylaw or rule is not enforceable to the extent that it:

*contravenes the Act, Regulations, Human Rights Code, or any other enactment or
law;

In other words, windows and other common property items must be fixed by Strata.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #4

Thanks All

I have provided the feedback back to the property manager. We'll see what happens...
Old 09-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Check when your bylaws were passed and how they were passed. If they replaced and repealed what was prior, it means your strata bylaws now are the current governing bylaws and not the standard schedule of bylaws in the Act.

What you cut and pasted in Section 8 is from the Standard Schedule of bylaws. If a strata does not pass and register new bylaws, then these ones in the Act is the default.

If I took a guess, your strata passed new bylaws and you are responsible for your windows.
frandaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm curious how this turns out. If it ends up being that you have to replace your window, I say you buy something that goes completely against the current style of the building. Maybe Tudor or something...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
degenerate extraordinaire

I am curious. Since council members can be elected or thrown out by SGM's (some buildings have very unstable councils) would strata bylaw changes need to be voted for by owners in attendance of the AGM/SGM, or is it the committees decision?

Edit: regarding lomacs suggestion -- bylaw will have stupid regulations regarding the uniformity of the exterior panels. Some buildings won't let you stick the alarm sticker on your balcony door because it stands out from the rest of the building.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
any window facing the exterior is responsibility of strata.

if the strata corp is being stupid - call the management company with your question and ask to speak to the manager assigned to your strata. get it in writing and present his findings to strata in writing.

source: old man is on the council n deal with this kind of complaints every month

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
degenerate extraordinaire

Good luck to that.

source: work in accounting of a property management company.

He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

Quick update - Property Manager & the Strata has approved in the replacement of the window.

Thanks for the help all