REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Official Eating Healthy thread

im a pretty skinny Chinese guy and every year i try to eat healthy but i end up doing it wrong, then i just go back to cooking garbage (plus chance getting fat isn't possible as that boat has sail long ago)

for starters, i have always been huge and crazy about my vegetables and i dont know why (a meal won't make me full without vegetables)

i been cutting down salt and oil for the past year or so, i have been using bit of soy sauce to substitute the salt

im also a huge rice guy, but im not an athlete so too much carb makes no sense for me right?

also anyone have any healtht recipes to share

ps: also doing this with my dad
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
I've alway been a fan of Michael Pollan's "“Eat whole food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
Don't be afraid of both fat or salt. They make food taste good.
Just don't be stupid about it and start adding a stick of butter to everything.
Personally i try not to use too much vegetable seed oil due to high Omega 6 content.
Try not to eat too much process food, they're often made to be hyper palatable and encourages overeating.
Also being skinny doesn't mean you don't have visceral fat which is a better indicator of health then subcutaneous fat.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
#IIFYM
Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
im a pretty skinny Chinese guy and every year i try to eat healthy but i end up doing it wrong, then i just go back to cooking garbage (plus chance getting fat isn't possible as that boat has sail long ago)

for starters, i have always been huge and crazy about my vegetables and i dont know why (a meal won't make me full without vegetables)

i been cutting down salt and oil for the past year or so, i have been using bit of soy sauce to substitute the salt

im also a huge rice guy, but im not an athlete so too much carb makes no sense for me right?

also anyone have any healtht recipes to share

ps: also doing this with my dad
1) Just because you're not fat, doesn't mean you're healthy or fit. Also, you'll end up being like every other high carb diet skinny dude once you're in your 40's and above - you'll look like a pregnant man.

2) Salt is not bad for you unless you have a heart condition. Anyway substituting soy sauce is pointless because you're substituting sodium for another form of sodium and most likely MSG if not other glutamates (not that MSG is inherently bad either but there you go)

3) Neither is dietary fat (most cooking oils are however, so it's good to avoid those)

I agree with the above advice. Eat food that came from an animal or a plant, as direct as possible. A chunk of meat, and that's it. A bundle of vegetables, and that's it. Avoid processing as much as you can.

Other than that, it depends on what your goals are. Weight loss, weight gain, etc. From there, you adjust based on calories and protein needs.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
I don't get it

*Subscribed*
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
what about meals a day and how much i should be eating?

my dad would skip meals just to lose weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Subscribed. Since my back went out this summer and I can't really lift like I used to, my weight is gonna go up unless I focus on my diet more. Right now on break in having some steamed carrots, tilapia fillet and some rice
Old 09-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
what about meals a day and how much i should be eating?

my dad would skip meals just to lose weight
None of us is really qualified to give you advices, we can share some opinions and personal experiences with you. If you need solid food advice go to a registered dietitian, not a nutritionist.

If you want to lose weight you need to eat less calories then you use. Simple as that.

I'll use myself as an example. Male/30/135lbs, standard office job. Walks for maybe 1 hour a day and does body weight exercise. I do intermittent fasting and have a 5 hour eating window. Typically i eat 2 meals a day. Lunch is usually 4-5 cups of diced roasted vegetable. Dinner is standard chinese dinner with meat/veggie/and small bowl of rice. Weekend, i don't really track i eat what i feel like. This works for me and allows me to do the physical activities i enjoy and my weight is stable. I'm guessing my TDEE is around 2100 calories.

So what is body composition like, what are your goals, how determined are you? Then we can try to give you some general guidelines.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
This is my rule for the last 5-10 yrs. I only till i'm 1/2 full and I pack the rest.

Male/35/office job. I can be active but I'm not those that work out 3 times a week. It all boils down to diet.

Whenever I eat out with clients, I order but I always eat 1/2 of the dish and pack the rest. I can't be young again with the metabolism that I had and by portioning down, it helps a lot.

Lastly, one thing I cut out is rice. Unless it's epic good curry or something with some amazing sauce, I skip out rice and substitute with just eating more meat / veggies.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
What cooking oils/fats is everyone using then?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
i mainly use coconut for frying and olive for finishing. also nothing wrong with canola.
all oils are terrible if you heat them up too much.

i mostly eat carbs because i love them and i also do a lot of cardio. i just stick to stuff thats minimally processed or whole/real foods. don't snack on junk food and don't continue to eat when you're full.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Avocado oil and coconut oil mostly
Old 09-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #13

Coconut oil, grass fed butter, and I just started using rice bran oil which is supposed to be good
Old 09-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Lard, avocado oil, gas fed butter/ghee.
I've tried coconut oil, i just can't stand the taste of everything to be coconut.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #15

Yeah coconut oil serves a specific purpose. The alternative is MCT oil which is healthy but flavourless. It lacks the lauric acid, which is what supposedly gives coconut oil its "properties" It has its own though - it's basically pure energy.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #16
I STILL don't get it

I use avocado oil from Costco to do most of my cooking. One thing I have learnt since getting into shape is to find balance. It will take time for your body to adjust to eating healthier and results won't show up overnight.

Skipping meals to lose weight is not good. Remember, this is a lifestyle choice, not choosing to go on a diet. Diets are short term, lifestyle choice is for life. As long as you burn more calories than what you consume, you will lose weight. The key is to be active while eating the right foods and your body will thank you for it.
Vege is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: