REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Revscene Automotive Review: 2015 Honda Civic Touring Sedan

(Note: While I have done some writing in the past - including reviews for product - this will be my first actual automotive review. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know this review tended to ramble and go on tangents a bit and will be correcting that in the future. Anyway, hope you guys like it!)

I have to admit something straight off the bat: I've never been a fan of the Honda Civic. Maybe it was due to the fact that for the first few years of driving I was involved in the Volkswagen scene, driving modified GTI's and GTX's, where there was an innate rivalry between the two brands followers. This may have been exacerbated even further by the whole Honda Nation ad campaign a few years back, with Honda attempting to capitalize on the popularity of the Fast and Furious craze. To me, modifying a car was supposed to be an expression of one's self and a small act of rebellion, not something to be embraced and encouraged by the manufacturers themselves. Add in the whole rice rocket stereotype and it became a no brainer for me. It was around that time that I had naively told myself I would never own a Honda product.

That turned out to be a short lived promise.

While I have yet to technically own a Civic, I have since owned a seventh generation Honda Accord coupe and a first generation Acura EL, which is, as we know, simply a tarted up Civic. While not much driving pleasure can be wrangled out of it, it was purchased primarily to be a reliable daily driver while I worked on my Saab 900 Turbo project car. It was during this time that I began to see the appeal behind owning a Civic. The simplicity of the engine, the decent fuel consumption and reliability were all things I appreciated from my early Volkswagen days and rediscovered within this tuxedo wearing Civic. However, this was all on an older model and I had a hard time believing the new versions shared this commonality. Thus, I was determined to find out whether Honda's latest (and outgoing model) variant was capable of winning me over.

(Disclaimer: I contacted Honda Canada about their press fleet and they agreed to loan me a 2015 Honda Civic Touring sedan.)

EXTERIOR (6/10)

Looks are subjective. You know that and I know too. Hell, even Honda knows this. With that in mind, I'm not a fan of the current cab-over bubble look. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, per say, but I just find that it looks a little too much like it's emulating a bug of some kind. I realize it's aerodynamic and likely returns a great Cd, but as a visual cue it's something I just can't get behind. That said, it's not bad looking, which is good as it needs to appeal to as big a consumer group as possible. It just doesn't do anything for me, but considering I'm a fan of lines and boxy looking cars, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Ultimately there's nothing outstanding or exciting to look at with this. It's an inoffensive shell designed to provide the maximum amount of room for it's occupants. Can't really fault Honda there for it.

INTERIOR/TECH (7/10)

Oh how I mocked when Honda first introduced the dual level dash. It looked awkward, cluttered and not at all functional. I was still laughing ten years later, right until about a mile into driving this car. The current design does look slightly dated, but it’s actually far more functional than I ever thought it could be. Since the tester model I had was an automatic, I didn’t need to bother with the tach, which is located where the traditional cluster of gauges would be. The fact that the actual road speed is displayed in clear digital numbers just below your sight line was pretty handy. The dual info/media screens were a slick touch as well. It was nice being able to have your main GPS running on the main center screen, while the rest of your information is displayed elsewhere. An added bonus was that any major direction changes you needed to follow also showed up on the secondary screen, so you wouldn’t have to look down. Not bad.

Also, big thanks to Honda for keeping the HVAC controls and display completely separate from the rest of the system. All the necessary buttons and dials were right where you'd find them and the fact that you could change them quickly without having to navigate through the touch screen was nice.

One thing I found myself on the fence about was the rear passenger camera/mirror/thingamajig. Basically, if you signal right, a camera located just below the passenger side mirror gives you a live view on your center console. Considering a combination of the large C-pillar and high beltline at the rear creates a blindspot, it’s a handy feature to have. However, I found myself relying on it too much and found myself not doing shoulder checks. This camera still had a couple of minor areas it couldn’t cover and using it as your sole source of information is probably a bad idea. But as an aid, it was nice to have.

Unfortunately the iMiD (Intelligent Multi Information Display) software felt extremely laggy. There were often quite a few times when I was changing audio sources or updating a GPS nav point and the screen would literally just sit for a couple seconds before it did anything. It felt like a computer when it’s overloaded with running programs and it lags when clicking between programs. Considering these days we all tend to run the latest smartphones, tablets and computers, trying to use this system felt archaic. There was nothing wrong per say with the UI design, just the hardware running it.

Those seats, though… I’m probably what you would say is average height (5’ 8) and average weight (170ish) and I’m pretty sure you could fit two of me onto one of those front seats. Maybe I’m just used to car seats with deep side bolsters, but the ones in the Civic just felt cavernous. More than a few times I found myself sliding around quite a bit, even with the seatbelt as tight as I could make it. They were comfortable enough for city driving, but long distance hauls made my back hurt.

...dammit, didn't realize I left a Rockstar can in the shot until I posted this... lol

NOISE (6/10)

It’s a grocery getter, not a Hellcat. There’s no noticeable exhaust note (rightfully so in a car like this) and the engine noise is your basic four-pot clatter. There was a bit more wind noise than I expected once I got up to (Coquihalla) highway speeds, but otherwise the cabin stayed relatively quiet.

The audio system is nothing to write home about. It does the job, but at a relatively neutral, slightly muddy level. Again, not unexpected in a car like this.

FUEL ECONOMY (9/10)

The car I tested came with Honda’s 1.8L 16v SOHC 4 cylinder, rated at 143hp and 129tq. It was also mated to their CVT. The engine itself coped surprisingly well considering the amount of hills I have to contend with on a daily basis and returned a decent fuel mileage. On a drive from Richmond to Kamloops, I averaged roughly 7L/100km and about 6.5L/100km on the return drive. I’m sure part of this was because of the CVT and mixed use of the Econ mode.

I’m still not sold on CVT’s, even though I know they have their advantages. This one was designed to mimic the typical shift change you’d get from a traditional automatic, but there were times (especially when going up a hill) that it was apparent you were driving something that wasn’t a typical slushbox. Again, not saying it’s wrong for a car like this, but it’s a little weird. Give me a good ol’ fashion clutch and I’ll happily row my own gears. Thankfully a 5 and 6 speed option are available for the Civic, depending on the trim level of course.

THE REST (7/10)

If you’re thinking of tackling the twisties, don’t bother. The suspension is comfortable, compliant and relatively capable, but falls flat on it’s face if you show it a corner at more than minimum speed. Stick to the grocery route.

One huge thing I really liked was the engine bay; rather, the simplicity of it. I know that 99.9% of owners aren’t going to work on their car while it’s under warranty, but when the time comes for us backyard mechanics to break out the wrenches and fix something, you will be pleasantly surprised. Everything that you would have to typically repair or replace is extremely accessible and there is a ton of spare space to work with. It will make future tuners very happy, I guarantee.

CONCLUSION (35/50)

That final points count seems lower than this car deserves. It's probably because I’m looking at this car from a driving enthusiast's point of view instead of seeing it as a tool to be used. Much like my screwdrivers or shoes, they’re simply something to be used until they break. I don’t buy a specific printer because it looks cool or because it speak of soul and passion; no, I buy them because I want something reliable, cheap to run, and wont break the bank when I buy it. If you want a car that’s fun to drive, look at the SI trim or at one of the other manufacturer’s offerings. However, as a car to be used to pick up the kids, get the groceries, and travel to work, this one is hard to beat. When someone asks what a good, reliable, new car would be for a first time driver, our answers are almost always Civic or Corolla. And you know what? I’ll still be recommending the Civic. It might not be the car for me, but it’s certainly the car for someone who isn’t.

Prices:
Starts at $15,750 - DX trim
As tested at $25,350 - Touring trim
Recommended version: LX trim

Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Head Moderator

I feel compelled to apologize. While writing this review, I was sick and on a ton of painkillers. It seems to have dulled my writing abilities slightly, unfortunately. Here's hoping that next weeks review of the Acura TLX reads better! Also, my desktop that runs Photoshop stopped running the other day. I promise my next photos will look better
Old 09-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
I kinda like the cameras on the side mirrors. Realistically if you have your side mirrors adjusted correctly you do not need to shoulder check, I have my side mirrors adjusted so that if i lean a little forward i can see everything in the lane beside me. With that being said the cameras would definitely be a added bonus especially when your making a right turn and a bike is travelling in the bike lane trying to go straight.

The last time i shoulder checked was during my drivers test 10 years ago and i have *knockonwood* never cut anyone off or gotten into a accident because of this.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
even Civics have blind spot detection now?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Nice review. I'm a big fan of the passenger side blind spot camera on my Accord.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
waiting for Revscene Automotive Review: 2016 Honda Civic TYPE RAWR!

Spoiler!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i want timpos review on the GTR please
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I hate how the side view camera is stuck on the mirror and looks like it was an afterthought.

Do you have any opinions on the quality of the interior materials? Soft touch surfaces, panel gaps, too plasticky, etc? I like reading about interior quality in reviews.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
I hate how the side view camera is stuck on the mirror and looks like it was an afterthought.

Do you have any opinions on the quality of the interior materials? Soft touch surfaces, panel gaps, too plasticky, etc? I like reading about interior quality in reviews.
The interior was about on par for what I expected. That's to say, soft touch on the pieces you're most likely to touch and hard, almost tinny sounding plastics elsewhere. The build quality seemed decent and I didn't notice any obvious gaps or issues anywhere. The steering wheel, while extremely satisfying to use thanks to how small and chunky it felt in the hands, felt a little too rubbery. But honestly there wasn't too much to complain about. Remember, it's an econobox so it's not like they're going to use real brush aluminum or carbon fibre inserts.

And I do have to agree with the blind spot camera placement. I mean, it obviously makes the most sense having it where it is, but it does look a little like an aftermarket addition.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
waiting for Revscene Automotive Review: 2016 Honda Civic TYPE RAWR!

Spoiler!
Me too!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
even Civics have blind spot detection now?
Not as bad as Corollas having LED headlights.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
I don't get it

nice review. nsx drive next?
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #13
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
review 2016 Subaru WRX STi and BMW M2 as well... if the opportunity should arise.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Excellent review. I only have two pieces of constructive criticism:

- Your introductory paragraph speaks of your past inherent bias against the Civic. I thought you were hinting to having an about face on the vehicle but instead you proceeded to give it relatively poor scores. As a result, the review does come off somewhat biased.

- The paragraph on "Exterior" could have been better presented. In particular, the usage of "I dunno" and "Deal with it". While I understand writing about the exterior styling of an appliance white Civic is difficult, I think that you could have expanded on what aspects in particular are in need of improvement.

Overall a great job. I look forward to reading future reviews and am inspired to write a review here and there as well!

Kev
Old 10-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Good points, Roach.

The exterior section has been rewritten slightly. Still needs some work, but I think I managed to convey my train of thought a little better.

As for the overall tone, I blame the medication I was on at the time. I realize I can probably rewrite it, but at this point I'm just going to leave it for now and let it be a lesson I can draw upon in later reviews.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

looks are subjective but that is one ugly ass car
rice cooker is offline   Reply With Quote