REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 73
Thanked 171 Times in 20 Posts
What benefits of not going through ICBC

So a jeep just backed into my front bumper today, driver was nice enough to walk into the store and let me know he backed into my Miata. The front bumper was just repainted about a month ago... and the the hood is also warped and messed up.

The driver of the jeep gave me his insurance information but asked if we could settle privately. What are the benefits and risks for me to settle privately (only pro I can think of for me is the fact that the repair won't show up when I try to resell).

This is the first time I have dealt with my car being hit and it wasn't a hit and run.
Advertisement
sauceking88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
bluejays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,325
Thanked 735 Times in 206 Posts
You should always report to ICBC just to cover your own ass. Just explain to him that you just want to report the incident to ICBC; however, they will give him the option to pay for the damage himself or have his rates go up. In this case with minor damage it will be cheaper for him to pay out the damage himself instead of his rates going up.
__________________
Current:
10 Evolution GSR (Summer)
'01 Sentra (Daily)
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
Suprarz666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: burnaby
Posts: 1,003
Thanked 524 Times in 103 Posts
If you go through ICBC, just hope the other party doesn't change the story. Unless of course you have video footage.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 5,063
Thanked 4,587 Times in 1,573 Posts
If you go through ICBC he can pay out his claim, same as if it was private except you are protected.
__________________
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A

2019 F150 CC/SB 3.5 EcoBoost
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 73
Thanked 171 Times in 20 Posts
Appreciate the feedback.
sauceking88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,734
Thanked 9,651 Times in 3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
If you go through ICBC he can pay out his claim, same as if it was private except you are protected.
what daredevil said
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 05:38 AM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Reeyal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Peace River, AB
Posts: 1,778
Thanked 158 Times in 103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
You should always report to ICBC just to cover your own ass. Just explain to him that you just want to report the incident to ICBC; however, they will give him the option to pay for the damage himself or have his rates go up. In this case with minor damage it will be cheaper for him to pay out the damage himself instead of his rates going up.
Agreed here. Always go through ICBC. The guy who hit you has the option to payout the repair to ICBC or have his premium go up.

I wouldn't go through privately unless you know the other person really well.
__________________
Quote:
Unknown
"If someone has to pass you on the right, you are in the wrong lane."
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
PM me for my nudes
 
smoothie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 3,673 Times in 972 Posts
Downside to claiming is there will be a claim on the car.

Aside from that it's infinitely better to go through icbc, private deals get shady pretty quickly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Too bad it isn't about flipping cars to lose money, I'm really good at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Ricer Mod
 
Berzerker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Smithers
Posts: 7,000
Thanked 5,232 Times in 1,498 Posts
Tell him to pay for the damages and an extra $200 for your troubles. Easy way to make a bit of cash. Other than that go through ICBC and let him pay them.

Berz out.
__________________
President of RS Beat Down Crew
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,906
Thanked 1,799 Times in 514 Posts
Even if you go through ICBC you have a chance to get fucked over as well. If the guy changes the story and says you rear ended him icbc will put you automatically at fault. Thats what they told me when I made a claim because some dumbass backed into me on a red light.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
PM me for my nudes
 
smoothie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 3,673 Times in 972 Posts
^ theres witnesses, guy was parked.

OP... you got witnesses to what the guy said, right?!?!?!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Too bad it isn't about flipping cars to lose money, I'm really good at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 73
Thanked 171 Times in 20 Posts


Didn't get witnesses but the guy was parked and I have a bunch of pictures. I see him at my gym a lot up at SFU, I don't think he would try any funny business as I kind of know who he is (at least I hope lol).
sauceking88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,462
Thanked 7,630 Times in 2,319 Posts
If the guy wants to settle outside, have him pay the full amount to get the car fixed. Let's say $1000.

Then report hit and run to ICBC. You'll pay the deductible and the accident won't go against your record.

So then take your leftover $700 and buy yourself something nice for all the trouble.

Boom. Ass covered. Money made.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: surrey
Posts: 2,437
Thanked 4,422 Times in 877 Posts
then take that $700 buy some heroin and resell it
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 533
Thanked 789 Times in 153 Posts
Always go through ICBC. I got rear ended by some guy near Market Crossing. Called ICBC, settled for the $1000 as well as all repairs covered + courtesy car for a few days. No money out of my pocket.
My friend got rear ended at the same location and didn't know the procedure, he settled for a couple hundred privately. He had to go through shopping for a cheap body shop and whatnot to get it repaired and didn't have a car while the repairs were being done.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Reeyal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Peace River, AB
Posts: 1,778
Thanked 158 Times in 103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
If the guy wants to settle outside, have him pay the full amount to get the car fixed. Let's say $1000.

Then report hit and run to ICBC. You'll pay the deductible and the accident won't go against your record.

So then take your leftover $700 and buy yourself something nice for all the trouble.

Boom. Ass covered. Money made.
... really now...
You're walking a very fine line there buddy.
__________________
Quote:
Unknown
"If someone has to pass you on the right, you are in the wrong lane."
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Xu.Vi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 616
Thanked 791 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
If the guy wants to settle outside, have him pay the full amount to get the car fixed. Let's say $1000.

Then report hit and run to ICBC. You'll pay the deductible and the accident won't go against your record.

So then take your leftover $700 and buy yourself something nice for all the trouble.

Boom. Ass covered. Money made.
Great way to enforce fraud! Fuck over the company that covered you for your loss
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
...in the world.
 
Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 28,462
Thanked 7,630 Times in 2,319 Posts
"Covered". They didn't give me enough. I still lost significant money from an accident that happened while I was parked.

And you gotta do what you gotta do. I see only in numbers.
__________________
- edeats.com <-- my food blog
- edlau|photo <-- photos
- Instagram <-- moar photos
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,838
Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
go to a reputable shop that offers a courtesy car while they work on yours have them estimate the damages worst case scenario cus quite often there is hidden damage (rebar etc) and have the jeep owner pre pay for said damages and get your car fixed. no need to make a claim if hes willing to cover it.
__________________
Rise Auto Salon

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More


We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #20
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 13,837
Thanked 6,654 Times in 2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceking88 View Post
only pro I can think of for me is the fact that the repair won't show up when I try to resell.
On the flip side though if I'm looking at a car and notice body work that isn't listed in the history I won't buy it, since you know the car was damaged but don't know how well it was repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
"Covered". They didn't give me enough. I still lost significant money from an accident that happened while I was parked.

And you gotta do what you gotta do. I see only in numbers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to sign off agreement with what ICBC offers you?
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 352
Thanked 298 Times in 83 Posts
The only benefit to having him pay out of pocket is that it will end up being cheaper for him. Shops like to charge a little more when ICBC is paying.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #22
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,732
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
The only benefit to having him pay out of pocket is that it will end up being cheaper for him. Shops like to charge a little more when ICBC is paying.
That's not true. ICBC has a set rate that they pay out for paint and labour.
Most of the time, ICBC pays them less, but then again with a private job, you get what you pay for. With an ICBC claim, ICBC accredited shops have to warranty their work.

As for OP, I saw the mark on your car. Don't worry about going to ICBC and having a claim against your car.
Take pics of the damage and go through ICBC to protect yourself.
When it comes time to selling the car, the damage is under $2000 so it isn't that significant and you'll have pics to show the potential buyer how little damage there is.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 352
Thanked 298 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
That's not true. ICBC has a set rate that they pay out for paint and labour.
Most of the time, ICBC pays them less, but then again with a private job, you get what you pay for. With an ICBC claim, ICBC accredited shops have to warranty their work.

As for OP, I saw the mark on your car. Don't worry about going to ICBC and having a claim against your car.
Take pics of the damage and go through ICBC to protect yourself.
When it comes time to selling the car, the damage is under $2000 so it isn't that significant and you'll have pics to show the potential buyer how little damage there is.
When I got some work done to my bumper/hood at a shop the guy i dealt with said if I would of not done it as a claim it would have been cheaper after I told him I was just going to pay ICBC (was my first accident and i didn't know better). I don't see a shop deciding to do a crap job because ICBC isn't paying for it, most places just over charge when they know an insurance company is paying. It's the same with medical.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 AM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
meme405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,720
Thanked 7,540 Times in 2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
... really now...
You're walking a very fine line there buddy.
Nope only way that would ever work would be full on insurance fraud, this isn't a fine line at all, you've passed the first down marker and your almost in the fucking end zone at this point.

Because you would have to lie to ICBC and tell them it was a hit and run when it wasn't, you know who did it, and as soon as you tell them who it was, they would go after him.

Then that guy would be choked that he paid you $1000 and you still narc'ed on him to ICBC, and he would probably come break your fucking legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
"Covered". They didn't give me enough. I still lost significant money from an accident that happened while I was parked.

And you gotta do what you gotta do. I see only in numbers.
I feel for you dude, it's not fair, but two wrongs don't make a right, and your solution to this situation is DEFINITELY considered wrong.
__________________

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #25
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,732
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
When I got some work done to my bumper/hood at a shop the guy i dealt with said if I would of not done it as a claim it would have been cheaper after I told him I was just going to pay ICBC (was my first accident and i didn't know better). I don't see a shop deciding to do a crap job because ICBC isn't paying for it, most places just over charge when they know an insurance company is paying. It's the same with medical.
You get what you pay for.
ICBC standardized everything so they pay $XX per hour for paint and $XX for labour.
Depending on your colour, you get so many layers of paint.
And they have to do it, especially if they are an accredited repair shop.

When private, you get what you pay for.
You ever see those $199 Maaco specials?
It's one coat of paint over your existing paint. No clear coat.
Minimal masking.
No sanding of the old paint.
Only a 6 month warranty.
etc....

To fix a dent, they can spend the time to try to hammer out the dent as best as they can before filling it with bondo.
Cheap way would be to leave the dent and use lots of bondo.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net