REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
hard water spots

looking for recommendations for a product that can get hard water spots out.

i used to use a pre-cleaner that was liquid-hand applied made by meguiars that you used to be able to get off the shelf at crappy tire but it's no longer available...
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Have you tried washing the vehicle to remove the deposit ? Or clay baring the paint ?
gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Witness protection

yes to both. i know it will come out if i use my porter cable on it but i really don't want to take anymore clearcoat off because it's getting thin. i'm hoping for a chemical solution because i used to be able to use the meguiars product and work it into the paint by hand and it would buff out afterwards.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 10-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Try Autoglym Paint cleaner ?
gn02156668 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Water spots are mineral deposits. With that being said they're more on the alkaline side of the PH scale. Basically all chemical water spot removes are acidic. I would try vinegar diluted in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on after a wash before drying, let it sit for 30 seconds and removers with a microfiber.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Witness protection

how much of a dilution? 50/50 mix? what type of vinegar eg. white?
Old 10-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

Start off with a 1:1 (product:water) dilution. That should get it done. If they've etched in then polishing will probably have to be done. If the vinegar does work, apply another coat of the wax or sealant of your choice as the acidic properties of the vinegar will most likely remove said protection.
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #8
Witness protection

thank you for that info. i had no idea this method existed.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

i have hard water spots on windshield, will this work on it as well?

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote