REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Peeple

Created by a couple of vapid bitches. It's Yelp, but for people. I can't possibly see any problem with this incredibly awesome app idea.

Quote:
Peeple is an app that lets users rate fellow human beings as if they were Amazon purchases. Its creators are calling it "Yelp for people," with the app letting anyone review anyone they know and assign them star ratings out of five. Reactions on social media, however, suggest the idea isn't entirely welcome, with the concept drawing comparisons with an episode of Community where a similar app turns the school into a Hunger Games-style dystopia ruled over by a five-star elite. Peeple, meanwhile, is simply marketing itself as a "positivity app for positive people."

"Peeple is an app that allows you to rate and comment about the people you interact with in your daily lives on the following three categories: personal, professional, and dating," says the company's website. "Peeple will enhance your online reputation for access to better quality networks, top job opportunities, and promote more informed decision making about people."

In an interview with The Washington Post, Peeple's founders, Julia Cordray and Nicole McCullough, say that a lot of thought has gone into making the app a positive experience. Anonymous reviews aren't allowed, and anyone who signs up must have a Facebook account older than 6 months and a working cell phone for verification. Users are also given 48 hours to "dispute" negative reviews of two stars or less (this means messaging the reviewer and asking them to change their mind), and anyone reported for bullying on the service will be booted off. Inaccurate reviews can also be tagged for removal.

However, there's currently no way for users to opt-out of Peeple. Anyone can sign up anyone else if they have their cell number, and although only positive reviews are shown on the profiles of people who haven't signed up, members of the public can't see their reviews unless they join. It's also not clear whether negative reviews are judged to be so based only on the star rating or whether the actual content is also taken into account. If just the former, it means that users could give people extremely negative reviews but a good star rating, with the targets of these write-ups never knowing about them unless they signed up. Call it a growth hack.

This sort of asymmetric reviewing system has already met problems in the past when applied to real human beings. The "dating" app Lulu, for example, allowed straight women to rate men they had dated based on their romantic and sexual appeal, but was criticized for encouraging a sexist double standard. As the Post points out, the app's makers were eventually forced to change their rules, first allowing men to opt-out and then requiring that they opt-in before being rated. In a message on Peeple's Facebook page, the company says it has heard these complaints "loud and clear," but doesn't state whether it will be changing how the app works.

These issues haven't dimmed investors' enthusiasm though, with the Post reporting that Peeple has already been valued at $7.6 million, while a video blog that Cordray and McCullough used to document Peeple's creation reveals that they raised $250,000 in seed capital in just two weeks. The app is expected to go live on iOS devices some time "mid to late November," with a limited launch starting in San Francisco and Calgary.

A recent update to Peeple's website titled "An Ode to Courage," tacitly acknowledges some of the recent criticism of the app, stating that "innovators are often put down because people are scared and they don’t understand." The post continues, "we are bold innovators and sending big waves into motion and we will not apologize for that because we love you enough to give you this gift," and concludes: "We are a positivity app launching in November 2015. Whether you love us or our concept or not; we still welcome everyone to explore this online village of love and abundance for all."
source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/1/94...for-people-app
And some irony from Cordray:
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,525 Times in 1,154 Posts
the tweets are amusing

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Peeple?src=hash
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
I think that there can be a big can of worms in terms of legal issues coming from this Peeple site.

For example, what if a person rates a lawyer with poor ratings as a professional and adds comments to provide the context in which this lawyer is incompetent or untrustworthy as a legal professional?

Can this lawyer sue that person for defamation in a civil case or ask police to press charges of defamation under the Canadian Criminal Code?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
lol

dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:18 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
http://thedirty.com/gossip/vancouver/

ruining people lives since the mid 2000's

cant wait to see how many people go into depression over this. I bet it wont take long before someone puts me on there...possibly past girlfriend's, someone doing it as a joke, etc.

recipe for disaster... I'm sure these broads will have a page of themselves within hours of its launch, and they'll probably have theirs edited on a regular basis while everyone else will have theirs stay as is.

in the event that I do end up on there, how would you guys and gals like to give me nothing but A+ positive reviews?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
And then they can go the ashley madison route and make you pay to have your shit removed off there. This is brilliant. How can I invest?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I can't possibly see any problem with this incredibly awesome app idea.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/704180-old-people.html

don't worry presto you racist fuck, im sure all your reviews will be just fine
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
All my reviews will be about bitch about old, white people. It will be riveting.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
isnt this just 'the dirty'? surprised they're getting so much advertising, where they were going to fall into obscurity, now they'll probably become a big enough hit to sell off
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote