REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Telus rolling out $1 billion fibre optic network across Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705674-telus-rolling-out-%241-billion-fibre-optic-network-across-vancouver.html)

cunninglinguist 10-03-2015 09:42 PM

Telus rolling out $1 billion fibre optic network across Vancouver

Telus rolling out $1 billion fibre optic network across Vancouver

We're getting fiber finally but only 150 mbps. That doesn't seem that much better.

twitchyzero 10-03-2015 09:50 PM

meh
1gbps at competitive rates or bust
CRTC needs to let Google in...assuming they want in

TOPEC 10-03-2015 09:52 PM

internet speeds and data cap is a joke in vancouver, just like how cell phone plans are, compared to the rest of the world. heck even ISPs out east provide better price vs performance ratio. at least telus is moving in the right direction. with the network upgrades, capacity for bandwidth is increased, hopefully in the "near" future better plans will be offered.

Manic! 10-03-2015 10:12 PM

150 mbps lol!!!!

The First US City With 10 GB Internet Is ... Salisbury | WIRED

Jonydakiller 10-03-2015 10:50 PM

Telus is more of "forced" to do this upgrade. They can't compete with what Shaw has, which is a very capable coax system and it is through out the city in every corner.
Most of the neighborhoods in lower mainland are still on its traditional tel wires, which has hitting the wall for its limitation on offering clean and fast digital services.
Shaw abandoned fiber to house/condo since last year. Docsis 3.1 will really get things started and Telus will spend the next 5 years try to catch up.

urrh 10-04-2015 12:59 AM

don't they call their plans optik or something? so that it sounds like they provide fiber optic service but don't have to deliver fiber optic speeds

iwantaskyline 10-04-2015 02:19 AM

Shaw already offers 250 mbp/s lol

SoNaRWaVe 10-04-2015 02:58 AM

Quote:

If your Internet connection is still running over old lines, movie downloads will speed up and office Internet slowdowns could disappear with Telus' Vancouver-wide fibre optic infrastructure announced Friday.
i find it weird that they would word it like that when it is illegal....

TOPEC 10-04-2015 05:30 AM

^ movies can be downloaded in many different ways... such as paying?

westopher 10-04-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8686229)

Yeah because every single video on the internet is illegal.......

willystyle 10-04-2015 09:00 AM

With a 500GB cap.

Hondaracer 10-04-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPEC (Post 8686188)
internet speeds and data cap is a joke in vancouver, just like how cell phone plans are, compared to the rest of the world. heck even ISPs out east provide better price vs performance ratio. at least telus is moving in the right direction. with the network upgrades, capacity for bandwidth is increased, hopefully in the "near" future better plans will be offered.

I find that this perception that other places have far better services and at much cheaper prices is a falicy

Two of my good friends live right downtown TO, both pay more for slower internet service than I do in Burnaby

Both are also paying as much as I do for cell service, with far less attached to their plans, especially data.

Even in the states, some of the wireless carriers may have very cheap plans, but their coverage is shit.

Only place I've ever legitamitely seen a huge improvement in both cost and service in cellular services was in Europe. Other than that I wouldn't really complain about my current services. Both in what I'm getting and the price

willystyle 10-04-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8686266)
I find that this perception that other places have far better services and at much cheaper prices is a falicy

Two of my good friends live right downtown TO, both pay more for slower internet service than I do in Burnaby

Both are also paying as much as I do for cell service, with far less attached to their plans, especially data.

Even in the states, some of the wireless carriers may have very cheap plans, but their coverage is shit.

Only place I've ever legitamitely seen a huge improvement in both cost and service in cellular services was in Europe. Other than that I wouldn't really complain about my current services. Both in what I'm getting and the price

On the ISP side of things, if you know where to look, you will get better price and service in Toronto than in Vancouver. Compared to the rest of the developed world, we are downright embarrassing for what we pay for what we get. The latter is indisputable.

Like I said in another post concerning this topic, Canada is already lagging behind in the digital economy due to incompetent service and pricing, and will continue so, until this issue is addressed.

jinxcrusader 10-04-2015 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8686229)

netflix n chill

!LittleDragon 10-04-2015 01:29 PM

Urbanfibre Internet - Urbanfibre

Not available to detached houses yet tho. If you live in a condo, I'd seriously give them a call.

RickyTan3 10-04-2015 02:26 PM

thats stupid because you can already get 100 mpbs off telus itself

FerrariEnzo 10-04-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8686194)

LMAO.. this town has 33,000 People with 10GB interenet.... damn Always Fast connection all day...

TOPEC 10-04-2015 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8686266)

a simple search would net numbers u cant deny, lets compare purely monthly rates, no intro offer no install fees no bs, for under $100 u can get from the major ISPs

out in the east:

Rogers:
250Mbps/20Mbps/unlimited - $94.99

Bell:
300Mbps/100Mbps/750GB - $95.95

out in the west?

Shaw:
60Mbps/3Mbps/450GB $93

Telus:
100Mbps/20Mbps/500GB - $93

Hondaracer 10-04-2015 07:35 PM

where is "out in the east"

and my buddies with Rogers are paying like $75 for 20mb/s in downtown TO, so dunno why anyone would be paying that if those options were available?

edit* Rogers current promo for Ontario:

Quote:

Get an Internet 30 + Basic TV + Home Phone bundle for $72.96 for the first 3 months, $115.46/month thereafter on a 2 year term. Plus, get a 30-day shomiTM subscription, The Movie Network® + HBO Canada® for 2 months and Super Channel for 3 months.* Limited time only.

Your Rogers Internet 30 + Basic TV + Home Phone bundle includes:

100GB data/month
HD set-top box rental
Wi-Fi modem
Rogers Home Phone: unlimited North American long distance4 and your choice of 6 features
Add-on: shomi FREE for 1 month2,3
Add-on: TMN + HBO FREE for 2 months1
Add-on: Super Channel FREE for 3 months1

the fine print:

Offer available till September 30, 2015, within Rogers cable service area (where technology permits) in Ontario only and subject to change without notice. Taxes extra. One-time $14.95 activation fee applies. Two year term required

so yea.. no

TOPEC 10-04-2015 09:06 PM

umm donno y u started talkin about bundles, ive been talking about internet and internet all along, and even you specifically mentioned internet... besides the infrastructure upgrade to fibre will benefit INTERNET first and TV second. ur now comparing apples to oranges

also if ur friends paying $75 for 20Mbps of internet from rogers then hes getting ripped off. a quick search on rogers site with a postal code M5T 1V1 from downtown toronto yields this, $75 for 60Mbps...

http://i.imgur.com/fuRTO0c.jpg

so yea.. no

rageguy 10-04-2015 09:19 PM

Wow, Shaw is $93 for 60. Ridiculous.

Mr.HappySilp 10-04-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8686267)
On the ISP side of things, if you know where to look, you will get better price and service in Toronto than in Vancouver. Compared to the rest of the developed world, we are downright embarrassing for what we pay for what we get. The latter is indisputable.

Like I said in another post concerning this topic, Canada is already lagging behind in the digital economy due to incompetent service and pricing, and will continue so, until this issue is addressed.

Is all about density. Look at some of country in Asian. HK, Japan, South Korea their density is pretty good so is cheaper for ISP to wire up apartments after apartments relative cheap. However their cell phone plans are that cheap. HK cell phone plans aren't cheap at all and they also have a cap on it.

If you have too much density is also bad. Look at China. Most their Internet speed isn't much faster than a 10Mbps line and their cell phone most of them is still on 2g or 3g. If they allow faster connections it will kill their network.

Overall I think Canada is a bit on the expensive side but we get what we pay for. My Shaw internet haven't gone down since years ago (due to power outage.) Same with my cell phone.

willystyle 10-04-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8686432)
If you have too much density is also bad. Look at China. Most their Internet speed isn't much faster than a 10Mbps line and their cell phone most of them is still on 2g or 3g. If they allow faster connections it will kill their network.

The reason why their internet speed is so slow mainly is because of the Great Firewall. They purposely slow down their network so that they can inspect each packet. If they really wanted to be as fast as South Korea, they would've accomplished that long ago.

meme405 10-04-2015 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8686451)
The reason why their internet speed is so slow mainly is because of the Great Firewall. They purposely slow down their network so that they can inspect each packet. If they really wanted to be as fast as South Korea, they would've accomplished that long ago.

You missed half the point, and arguably the only valid half.

Our cost will not come down until we have the population to support it, just like cell networks.

It's more expensive because we have a very sparse population, and the infrastructure to cover that area costs a lot.

Compared to somewhere like california where a population greater than all of canada lives in an area half the size of BC. Obviously more people paying for subscriptions, in a much smaller service area, is going to drastically reduce the cost.

willystyle 10-04-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8686459)
You missed half the point, and arguably the only valid half.

Our cost will not come down until we have the population to support it, just like cell networks.

It's more expensive because we have a very sparse population, and the infrastructure to cover that area costs a lot.

Compared to somewhere like california where a population greater than all of canada lives in an area half the size of BC. Obviously more people paying for subscriptions, in a much smaller service area, is going to drastically reduce the cost.

I didn't miss any of the points. I don't agree with the mouths of corporate execs (especially execs of Rogers, Bell, and Telus where they have their own interest at hand), which in this case, is where you're mirroring the msg from. If you understood how IT infrastructure works, you wouldn't be echoing their message. Those on the other side of the fence will sing a different tune. Your points are exactly what the Big 3 wants you to believe.

EDIT: This was an article published by The Globe and Mail, where in 2012, the cost of delivering ONE GB of data to a consumer cost 3 cents/GB (after operating expenses) in Canada. This was back in 2012, you can bet your ass that it cost somewhere less than 1 cents/GB today in 2015, while at the same time, the cost of accessing internet has been increasing yearly. Make your own judgement.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...article622177/