REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Recommendation for stripe install?

For: 2015 mustang GT. Going for this sort of style: glossy black dual stripes

But with some yellow, orange, or red pinsripes for a better contrast.

Googled around and n-motion had a posting here so gave them a call. About $950 for everything. Thought that was a bit steep, but I know they have a good reputation. For just install, guy guessed about $500 if I bought my own stripes.

Alpha auto group (or something along those lines) where a bunch of mustang people go to was charging about $500 for everything, but some of the stripes I saw were peeling on the other cars.

Anyone have any recommendations so I can save a couple hundred? It might be cheaper to buy the stripes from bigwormgraphix, about $250 usd, and get them installed i'm thinking.

Last resort I could maybe try it myself...

Extra question: is there a way to get replies as an email notification? can't seem to find anything.
Advertisement
clevernickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

250usd is about 325cad so if you went the route of buying your own you'd only save 125(minus shipping/taxes) and you are running into the chance that if there is a problem with the product the shop will just say too bad, they didn't provide it and the manufacturer could blame the shop. Personally i'd look for a shop that provides everything so that if there is an issue you just have to go to one source.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Try Wrapworkz. Seen pretty good work from them.

Lol at first I thought you were asking for straight pipe install
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

950 bucks for stripes?? that seems outrageous
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
950 bucks for stripes?? that seems outrageous
It's honestly not. Takes a good deal of patience and time to measure everything out and make them straight and install nicely.

Material alone would also be in the 200 dollar range.

Personally I think stripes are probably harder to do than just wrapping the entire roof, hood and trunk, and that would run 700+ depending on who you call.

So 1000 bucks honestly isn't that bad.

OP give wrap-workz a shot, but they won't be your cheapest option. They will however be one of the absolute top in terms of quality.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #6

700 to wrap the whole car? i've been getting quotes of about 2000.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
if you hear their peeling off cars,i guess the autobody stuck them on and didn't bother to clear coat them,where you could press your finger across it and not feel it.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 10-10-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevernickname View Post
700 to wrap the whole car? i've been getting quotes of about 2000.
No wrapping the entire car would be 2000 (for a really cheap shop, most established shops would be 3000+). The material alone to wrap an entire car is 500+ bucks.

I was saying 700 (at the very least) to just wrap the hood, roof and trunk one solid colour. Doing stripes would probably cost more than doing just a solid colour because it takes much more labour to measure it out and make it all even.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I thought stripes is a 600 factory option from factory?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
you can go order it online and get something that's already precut for mustangs eg. american muscle 2015-2016 Mustang Racing Stripes | AmericanMuscle | Free Shipping

pinstriping is a different matter. i've tried it before and i could never get it straight. had to go to a bodyshop to get them to finish in 5 minutes what took me 2 hours of epic fail to do

if you've done some sort of decal application before or can follow instructions well, it can be a DIY and you save big $$$. but it's very labor intensive getting it aligned and then having to work out the water, bubbles, etc. out of it, hence the high labor cost the shops are quoting.

otherwise, my recommendation for a local shop is GPFX graphics in richmond because andy is a good friend. he did this one from scratch:

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-13-2015 at 08:22 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #11

thanks, i'll give them a call tomorrow. was it expensive?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
if you hear their peeling off cars,i guess the autobody stuck them on and didn't bother to clear coat them,where you could press your finger across it and not feel it.
is that standard for stripes?
Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,549 Times in 1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
otherwise, my recommendation for a local shop is GPFX graphics in richmond because andy is a good friend. he did this one from scratch:
I'd recommend Andy too, he's got lots of experience. He's probably been doing it for at least 15 years now and his work is top notch.
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevernickname View Post
thanks, i'll give them a call tomorrow. was it expensive?
i did not ask, but he does charge a little more than the others. having said that, i've seen him redoing other shops work so unless you want to do things twice i would recommend going to him and only do it once.

someone mentioned above that the stripes should be clearcoated. i'm not sure if that is true or not for ford. i remember looking at the stripes on a factory ordered shelby (ie. not dealer add on) on the sales lot and there was no clear on it.

i'm not sure if this is possible, but you might be able to get away with one giant black stripe down the centerline of your car, and then add a grey stripe that matches your paint down the middle of the black stripe. might save time and money... or not.

regardless, if you want the stripes to last the car's lifetime, then i would suggest that you should look at getting them painted on instead.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-13-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
Witness protection

also, follow this guy:

http://mymustang.ca/

rory is a GVMA member and has won in several shows so he probably knows best where to go get things done.

Last edited by thumper; 10-13-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i did not ask, but he does charge a little more than the others. having said that, i've seen him redoing other shops work so unless you want to do things twice i would recommend going to him and only do it once.

someone mentioned above that the stripes should be clearcoated. i'm not sure if that is true or not for ford. i remember looking at the stripes on a factory ordered shelby (ie. not dealer add on) on the sales lot and there was no clear on it.

i'm not sure if this is possible, but you might be able to get away with one giant black stripe down the centerline of your car, and then add a grey stripe that matches your paint down the middle of the black stripe. might save time and money... or not.

regardless, if you want the stripes to last the car's lifetime, then i would suggest that you should look at getting them painted on instead.
oh what's the timeline on stripes before they start showing wear. like 5 years?

how much is it to paint stripes on properly. guessing have to sand the area too so like...$1500?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
Witness protection

i'm going to assume 5 years, just like they say for full vinyl wraps.

no idea on how much it costs to paint.

something to watch:

Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Stripes should last you more than 5 years. I had Oracal 951 Premium vinyl stripes on my Viper, those were rated for 10 years. If you take proper care of them, I think they should last you quite a bit longer.
Just make sure you ask the shop what brand of vinyl they use. Some of them will use the cheap ebay stuff, or very thin vinyl, and that won't last so long. Good vinyl, like Oracal or 3M, is definitely the way to go.
Personally, I wouldn't clearcoat the stripes. You wont ever be able to remove them in the future.
Stripes are going to look awesome on the new Mustang! For some reason, American muscle cars are just made for stripes. Post some pics when you have them installed!
Indyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #19
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,947 Times in 585 Posts
I helped a friend do a camaro here. We DIY'd it but used wrapcut tape to do it.

What is WrapCut Fine Filament Edge Cutting Tape?

Turned out pretty well. Didnt have to worry about lining up the vinyl perfect, as long as the wrapcut stencil was on straight it turned out well.
RCubed is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
I helped a friend do a camaro here. We DIY'd it but used wrapcut tape to do it.

What is WrapCut Fine Filament Edge Cutting Tape?

Turned out pretty well. Didnt have to worry about lining up the vinyl perfect, as long as the wrapcut stencil was on straight it turned out well.
that is so cool... i've never heard of it before
Old 10-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #21

FYI wrap workz told me they generally try to stay away from knifeless tape as much as possible because the edges are much less perfect than cut vinyl. Take that for what it is worth, I'd say an edge which was cut using knifeless vs one which was pre-cut would be much more prone to lifting.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #22
Witness protection

maybe he can get away with it because he said he wanted to pinstripe? it could hide the rough edges?
Old 10-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #23
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I tried pinstriping at first, but immediately took it off again. Didn't like how it made the stripes stand out too much, imo.
Indyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #24
Witness protection

it seems to work on the gt350r... butni guess it depends on the color or contrast?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #25

Love the pinstripes, most people on the mustang forums do as well. But obviously to each their own. If you were going for a more stealthy look on a magnetic, matte black is what people like.

Frankly I want it to pop a lot more. Magnetic looks great, but at night, doesn't stand out as much.

Almost makes me regret not getting it in white.