REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
What I look for in a good tenant:

-That they will pay their rent on time
-Won't damage my investment
-Wont bother other tenants or owners (AKA noise complaints, being an asshole, etc)
-Wont hassle me about bullshit like their toilet is clogged
-Non-smoker & No pets (Not doing drugs is another one for obvious reasons)
-Reasonable rental period. I prefer to have people who intend to stay for multiple years, obviously it can be difficult to plan this out, or get a feel for people on this one, but I've had some success with multi-year tenants.

This is what you want to know about someone you plan on renting to. If you can verify that the above conditions are met, then that will probably be a good tenant.

How you find out that information about someone, and the reliability of those methods, is dependant on you.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #52
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
asian students, safest bet in my experience...plus there's a never ending supply
Something to consider. Like all renters, it is a crap shoot. But when it comes to asian students, there is very little back ground checks you can do and most of them have never lived on their own before and have no ties so there is no reason for them to follow any rules or strata by-laws.

I have a friend who's GF was living with 2 other girls in a 1 bedroom apartment. My friend's GF was sleeping on a fold out couch bed in the living room.

I was on strata up until a few months ago, and we were called for a water leak. We walked into the 1 bed room unit and found 3 girls living in there.
They had 2 beds in the bedroom and a mattress on the floor of the living room with a folding partition set up for privacy. No, they were not prosituting themselves out of the unit.

Currently, one of our neighbours is renting out their furnished 2 bedroom unit to a couple. The couple in turn, are subletting the extra bedroom and also have a dog.
In the 2 months that they have moved in, their dog has chewed up the furniture, pee'd all over the carpets, and the tenants have had a few late night parties and the unit is full of garbage.
But worst of all, there is no recourse if these people decide to pack their bags and walk away one night leaving the mess for the owners to take care of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #53
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I will state again don't rent to international students (Chinese students especially in my experience). They tend to not clean up after themselves, let your unit rot which cost you a ton in repair fees later. Also they don't really care about fines and stuff coz well they ain't paying for it. Oh and a lot of them like to smoke (even the girls) so your suite might get some cigarette smell.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #54
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I have a friend who's GF was living with 2 other girls in a 1 bedroom apartment. My friend's GF was sleeping on a fold out couch bed in the living room.
If I had a 1 bedroom apartment, I would not allow 3 people to live there.

Quote:
Currently, one of our neighbours is renting out their furnished 2 bedroom unit to a couple. The couple in turn, are subletting the extra bedroom and also have a dog.
In the 2 months that they have moved in, their dog has chewed up the furniture, pee'd all over the carpets, and the tenants have had a few late night parties and the unit is full of garbage.
But worst of all, there is no recourse if these people decide to pack their bags and walk away one night leaving the mess for the owners to take care of.
Tenant needs written consent from the landlord to sublet. I assume this step was done? And landlord takes the risk by allowing pets in his rental unit. The recourse is that he keeps the damage deposit.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #55
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I had a 1 bedroom apartment, I would not allow 3 people to live there.

Tenant needs written consent from the landlord to sublet. I assume this step was done? And landlord takes the risk by allowing pets in his rental unit. The recourse is that he keeps the damage deposit.
As for 3 people living in a 1 bedroom unit, we had an owner who was living with his wife, infant child, teenage child and mother in law in their 2 bed room unit.
Would you be surprised if I told you they complained about having moisture issues in their unit during the winter?

But again, what can you do if you specifically tell them only 1 person can live in the unit and they sublet to 2 others.

TBH, I don't know what was written on their contract but when talking to another neighbour, we were all under the assumption the unit was rented to an older asian couple and their dog that was supposed to be house trained.
In reality, it was a young couple and their yappy dog.
Sadly, based on the damage that we saw, 1/2 the month's rent will not cover the cost of repairs and to replace things. Hopefully, the owners also got a pet damage deposit, but I can tell you it will take a while to air out the unit.
But even if a proper contract was signed and they still sublet and caused substantial amounts of damage that cost more than the damage deposit, since the tenants have no ties to Canada, there is very little recourse for the owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 10-20-2015 at 09:52 AM.
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #56
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I will state again don't rent to international students (Chinese students especially in my experience). They tend to not clean up after themselves, let your unit rot which cost you a ton in repair fees later. Also they don't really care about fines and stuff coz well they ain't paying for it. Oh and a lot of them like to smoke (even the girls) so your suite might get some cigarette smell.
This pretty much describes my experience with Chinese students as well. The worst part is the smoking because the smell starts to circulate through the whole house and they still deny it.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #57
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

on the subject of international students, be wary of those that don't go to one of the accredited colleges (UBC,SFU,VCC,Langara etc) and go to those questionable learn English colleges downtown. Most international students who go to those places don't have much money. My friend had one that ended up being a call girl and his place was like a brothel.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #58
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

In my basement suite i have 2 bedrooms. Luckily the way it was built, i was able to put up a drywall partitioning it off to be a 1 bedroom suite.
Now we only rent to single working professionals.
I think i'll keep it this way as 1 working person would not be at home all the time, not cook big "smelly" meals, less garbage, less noise.

Like others have posted, i always ask for the obvious background checks and smoking.
But i only sign them a 5 month lease at a time.
I find that this keeps them happy and me happy.
This way we can kick them out sooner if we notice any issues, and it gives them a sense that they can leave sooner if theyre not happy with us. Its not like there arent enough people out there looking to rent on a daily basis anyways, right?
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #59
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
on the subject of international students, be wary of those that don't go to one of the accredited colleges (UBC,SFU,VCC,Langara etc) and go to those questionable learn English colleges downtown. Most international students who go to those places don't have much money. My friend had one that ended up being a call girl and his place was like a brothel.
Hmm... options available for "alternative forms of payment" then?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #60
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
the students' phone number? Do we get RS discount from her ?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #61
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
the students' phone number? Do we get RS discount from her ?
Don't we need to see pics first?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #62
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I have 4 units I rent out.

One is a house with 3 bed 2 bath up and 2 bed 1 bath down. We had new tenants (2 adults 2 children) with good references and jobs move in the upper unit 4 months ago. Since then there have been plenty of issues and excuses. Late rent, added cat without asking, noise complaints from neighbours and downstairs tenants, moving truck backed into the gutter doing damage and didn't say anything.

I did an inspection recently because of the constant issues and zero communication. I discovered one bedroom was being subletted to an international student without permission. I evicted them and they got rid of the student. They admitted they couldn't afford the rental without the extra income.

People are extremely good at telling a landlord what they want to hear. Weeding out the fakers is the hard part. Every landlord wants what meme listed. I have excellent tenants in my other units and hope to fine some new solid tenants for my upper unit.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,748 Times in 699 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys.

I think we found a really good tenant. He's a wood manager from new zealand. He just renewed his visa for two years and is planning on getting his status/citizenship? (We got proof of his visa btw. )
He agreed to sign a one year lease (and then month to month after that) and has give us first months rent and one months rent for a damage deposit.

We called his boss and he said he's the best worker he has in his business. I have a really good feeling about this guy, but who knows.

He said he works long hours 0730-1800 and he seems very respectful. He is single, but I don't feel that's a big deal. He was very respectful to my parents and even to me. He doesn't smoke, he's in good shape (so he's disciplined), and he said he drinks socially.

Hopefully it works out.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by PeanutButter; 10-20-2015 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added more info
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #64
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Recommendation for those renting out

Include a weekly /biweekly cleaning service in your rental agreement. Tack on the extra money the cleaner charges to the monthly rent.

Helps in 3 ways. Keeps your place nice and tidy and wont be a giant mess to clean up once the tenant leaves, you can have the cleaner as your regular inspection person tell her to notify you if any issues, and when perspective tenants come by and you let them know a cleaner has regular access to the unit, it keeps the shadier tenants from renting.
C-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #65
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-One View Post
Include a weekly /biweekly cleaning service in your rental agreement. Tack on the extra money the cleaner charges to the monthly rent.

Helps in 3 ways. Keeps your place nice and tidy and wont be a giant mess to clean up once the tenant leaves, you can have the cleaner as your regular inspection person tell her to notify you if any issues, and when perspective tenants come by and you let them know a cleaner has regular access to the unit, it keeps the shadier tenants from renting.
is this a normal thing? as a renter, if somebody did that, i would not rent from that person.

for one, the rent would be higher than the average in the area due to the tacked on cleaning fees.

it would also make me think that the landlord is strict and will probably visit the unit frequently.

a wild guess but i think it will attract shadier tenants who need a place to stay regardless of invasive provisions.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #66
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I dont know whether its a normal thing or not, I was told this from someone with multiple units when i started renting out my basement. Both of us had no issues from the tenants thus far.

True it makes the rent higher but i see it as this is your single biggest investment. You cant be letting just any old person stay in it with just a half month of security deposit.

This adds just that extra bit of restriction / convenience and lets the tenant know youre on the ball.
C-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #67
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Do you have a company you can recommend? I have been looking for such a service and wondering how much it would cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-One View Post

xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #68

Thanked 2,748 Times in 699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Do you have a company you can recommend? I have been looking for such a service and wondering how much it would cost.
I don't want to sound like a a-hole and stereotype, but if you have a philipino or spanish friend, ask them if they know anyone who does house cleanings. I asked my philipino friend and she highly recommended her aunty. Her aunt was so grateful, she's super sweet.

Her aunt is great and it helps her family out. I would start close to home first as I trust her aunt more than I would a random person. But, this is for our house that has our personal things in it. Maybe if it's for a rental unit, you don't need someone as trustworthy?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #69

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
34-24-34
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote