REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Social Club for Elderly Chinese (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706065-social-club-elderly-chinese.html)

ShanghaiKid 10-29-2015 03:44 PM

Social Club for Elderly Chinese

Hey guys,

This is a topic close to my heart. I'm not particularly sure if it belongs in this part of the forum, but hopefully someone is able to share some info.

My grandmother is approaching her 90's. This limits her mobility a lot as her health declines slowly over the years, so she is always shut in at home while the entire family goes to work during the day. She's had a few falls, luckily nothing serious, and doesn't attempt to take walks in the neighborhood anymore.

Is anyone familiar with any gatherings of elderly chinese, preferably Mandarin/Shanghai-dialect speaking, in the Burnaby, Coquitlam or E. Van area? I'd like to drive her out sometimes so she can socialize with others her age so she isn't so lonely. I think it'll improve her happiness and overall quality of life greatly.

I've tried doing some research and nothing points specifically at what I'm looking for (more socializing, less physical activity).

Thank you sincerely for any info/advice you can share with me.

bcedhk 10-29-2015 05:03 PM

maybe best to contact the SUCCESS organization? they might be a better lead.

vixroar 10-29-2015 05:28 PM

Maybe look into adult day centres? I did my career prep with two of them in high school - Chown ADC and the South Vancouver ADC (but there are many others). Chown was more multicultural in terms of staff and clients whereas South Van ADC was mainly chinese for both staff and clients - although there was one chinese staff member at South Van that was a bit dickish to the clients lol. Lunch and transportation is included too.

Puck Luck 11-09-2015 09:21 PM

When my father passed away 15 years ago, me and my sisters worried about my mom. She ended up joining a church, (on main and 46th) and she seems to enjoy it, although she was never a church person before. She is now in her early 80's. They go out for field trips occasionally and other stuff. My mom is there not so much for religious stuff, but more a social thing.
We were raised speaking toisan, similar to cantonese. Not sure of the dialect of that church though

Spoon 11-09-2015 09:35 PM

Try this place: https://www.burnaby.ca/Things-To-Do/...x/Seniors.html

Parents aren't at that age yet so I don't know the specifics. But I believe they play MahJong there if she's into it.

heisenberg 11-10-2015 01:03 AM

at my local rec centre, thunderbird they have a chinese senior group. they do ballroom dancing and socialize with coffee and tea. they celebrate birthdays too. come by and ask for a broucher

6793026 11-10-2015 08:17 PM

my grandpa has Alzheimer and has issues with his mobility now, govt has subsidies where he gets showers by someone twice a week and he gets taken for walks.

thumper 11-23-2015 11:00 AM

i don't know if this will work for you because your grandmother is relatively well enough to be on her own and is not institutionalized.

having said that, i was at mount st. joseph's hospital awhile back while my mom had surgery there, and i there are a lot of asians being cared for in the elder care wing.

Elder Care Ambulatory Clinic | Providence Health Care

maybe there is someone there who you can talk to and they might be able to recommend something for your grandmother without having to admit her?

racerman88 12-12-2015 12:59 PM

Not sure if this will help, but when my grandmother was still alive, she chose to move into a seniors apartment complex in Chinatown. She lived at the building on Keefer and Gore. Regular apartment building except that it was occupied by Asian seniors. Had their own kitchen.
She enjoyed it b/c everything was walking distance and she could go down to main lobby where they would socialize.
Just not sure if there was a nurse employed there or not.

jinxcrusader 12-21-2015 10:44 AM

My dad has been retired for many years now. After retirement he stayed at home every day and didn't seem to have any motivation to go out. He didn't have any friends to hang out with either. I'm very thankful he found this "Clansmen" thing last year - which is basically a gathering place for people (almost all seniors) that speak his same dialect of Chinese. They just chat and have coffee. Occasionally they go out on trips together.

6793026 12-21-2015 06:07 PM

racerman88 wow, it's really rare for grandparents wanting to move to senior living.

you're probably one of the few stories i have ever heard where she chose to move to the place. Good for her.

Digitalis 04-08-2016 12:57 PM

Just get her to hang out with MG1.

320icar 04-08-2016 01:49 PM

Food court at Parker place

/thread