REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
Social Club for Elderly Chinese

Hey guys,

This is a topic close to my heart. I'm not particularly sure if it belongs in this part of the forum, but hopefully someone is able to share some info.

My grandmother is approaching her 90's. This limits her mobility a lot as her health declines slowly over the years, so she is always shut in at home while the entire family goes to work during the day. She's had a few falls, luckily nothing serious, and doesn't attempt to take walks in the neighborhood anymore.

Is anyone familiar with any gatherings of elderly chinese, preferably Mandarin/Shanghai-dialect speaking, in the Burnaby, Coquitlam or E. Van area? I'd like to drive her out sometimes so she can socialize with others her age so she isn't so lonely. I think it'll improve her happiness and overall quality of life greatly.

I've tried doing some research and nothing points specifically at what I'm looking for (more socializing, less physical activity).

Thank you sincerely for any info/advice you can share with me.

ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
maybe best to contact the SUCCESS organization? they might be a better lead.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Maybe look into adult day centres? I did my career prep with two of them in high school - Chown ADC and the South Vancouver ADC (but there are many others). Chown was more multicultural in terms of staff and clients whereas South Van ADC was mainly chinese for both staff and clients - although there was one chinese staff member at South Van that was a bit dickish to the clients lol. Lunch and transportation is included too.
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

When my father passed away 15 years ago, me and my sisters worried about my mom. She ended up joining a church, (on main and 46th) and she seems to enjoy it, although she was never a church person before. She is now in her early 80's. They go out for field trips occasionally and other stuff. My mom is there not so much for religious stuff, but more a social thing.
We were raised speaking toisan, similar to cantonese. Not sure of the dialect of that church though
Old 11-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Try this place: https://www.burnaby.ca/Things-To-Do/...x/Seniors.html

Parents aren't at that age yet so I don't know the specifics. But I believe they play MahJong there if she's into it.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

at my local rec centre, thunderbird they have a chinese senior group. they do ballroom dancing and socialize with coffee and tea. they celebrate birthdays too. come by and ask for a broucher
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,298 Times in 955 Posts
my grandpa has Alzheimer and has issues with his mobility now, govt has subsidies where he gets showers by someone twice a week and he gets taken for walks.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i don't know if this will work for you because your grandmother is relatively well enough to be on her own and is not institutionalized.

having said that, i was at mount st. joseph's hospital awhile back while my mom had surgery there, and i there are a lot of asians being cared for in the elder care wing.

Elder Care Ambulatory Clinic | Providence Health Care

maybe there is someone there who you can talk to and they might be able to recommend something for your grandmother without having to admit her?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Not sure if this will help, but when my grandmother was still alive, she chose to move into a seniors apartment complex in Chinatown. She lived at the building on Keefer and Gore. Regular apartment building except that it was occupied by Asian seniors. Had their own kitchen.
She enjoyed it b/c everything was walking distance and she could go down to main lobby where they would socialize.
Just not sure if there was a nurse employed there or not.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

My dad has been retired for many years now. After retirement he stayed at home every day and didn't seem to have any motivation to go out. He didn't have any friends to hang out with either. I'm very thankful he found this "Clansmen" thing last year - which is basically a gathering place for people (almost all seniors) that speak his same dialect of Chinese. They just chat and have coffee. Occasionally they go out on trips together.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,298 Times in 955 Posts
racerman88 wow, it's really rare for grandparents wanting to move to senior living.

you're probably one of the few stories i have ever heard where she chose to move to the place. Good for her.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
I don't get it

Just get her to hang out with MG1.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,737 Times in 3,863 Posts
Food court at Parker place

/thread