REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   My ICBC insurance increase by 30% (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706111-my-icbc-insurance-increase-30%25.html)

PC69 11-02-2015 09:58 AM

My ICBC insurance increase by 30%

I just renewed my insurance yesterday and saw my rate jumped by 30% from previous year. I called ICBC to get an explanation and the lady told me the huge increase was because of my vehicle type/yr. So the rate increase is not the %5.5 as suggested by ICBC in the news. Does anyone see such an increase without any accident claim? BTW my car is 2012 MB e550.

meme405 11-02-2015 10:19 AM

They probably moved your vehicle into a different risk category.

Probably cause a bunch of people with cars similar to yours wrapped their shit around a tree, or rear ended a bunch of people.

Still is an unusual jump though. Don't know if you can do anything about it.

smoothie. 11-02-2015 10:21 AM

that sucks.

contact the news departments so they can look into how many others are getting screwed?

thats a huge increase.

Acura604 11-02-2015 11:12 AM

doesn't make any sense... mind u, benz repairs arent' cheap?! if that makes a difference.

I recently moved from an 08' Acura sedan to a 14' Acura CUV... my annual rate went down by 10 cents...told them to mail me a cheque.

melloman 11-02-2015 11:12 AM

30%.. :pokerface: That's a huge fucking increase, and I'd say that's pretty unreasonable, especially if it's just because other people fucked up the same car.

How it is your fault that abunch of people fucked up the same car, it's not the cars fault the drivers are retarded. :fulloffuck:

fliptuner 11-02-2015 11:17 AM

Have you had an at fault accident with a different car, that the insurance was cancelled on recently?

PC69 11-02-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8695455)
Have you had an at fault accident with a different car, that the insurance was cancelled on recently?

Same discount rate (43%) and policy and no address change. ICBC changed my vehicle group and my insurance went up from $2000 to $2600. Total rip-off by ICBC

meme405 11-02-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8695453)
How it is your fault that abunch of people fucked up the same car, it's not the cars fault the drivers are retarded. :fulloffuck:

That's how insurance works. It's based on the probability that any given insured vehicle will end up in an accident, and how much that accident will cost.

It's all based on the data that ICBC has and collects.

So although it might not seem fair, logically it makes sense.

It's the exact same thing about how you guys joke that every silver corolla driver is shitty, well if the ICBC data showed that corolla drivers were responsible for an above average number of accidents, then that vehicle would be moved into a higher risk category and all those owners would have to pay more.

Many things work exactly like this. Take another popular complaint among business owners: WCB.

WCB rate classes are constantly being shifted around, for example roofing companies are like the worst possible rate class, because workers continuously fall off roofs, or ladders and break bones/die.

That's not to say all roofing companies are unsafe, but they do all have to pay for the collective mistake of the shitty contractors. So take someone like penfolds, who is very safe, and doesn't have any accidents. They have the highest possible discount level available as a company, but their company is still listed in the most "at risk" rate class. So they get a lot of discount for being good, but they still pay a lot cause the insurance company believes they operate in an area of above average risk.

EDIT: Note that I have no idea if penfolds is safe or not, I just used them as an example. I have no affiliation with Penfolds, and I do not endorse them or condone them.

Euro7r 11-02-2015 01:16 PM

That's a heavy hit on insurance renewal.

Isn't insurance suppose to be similar/go down each year, as the vehicle gets older assuming you have a clean record. I guess not ?=/

Expresso 11-02-2015 01:34 PM

Reminds me when I had my 2001 Prelude. They raised my rates in 3 consecutive years of ownership. Where in the third year, it was $5K with no discount. Solution: sold the car.

PC69 11-02-2015 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8695501)
That's how insurance works. It's based on the probability that any given insured vehicle will end up in an accident, and how much that accident will cost.

It's all based on the data that ICBC has and collects.

So although it might not seem fair, logically it makes sense.

It's the exact same thing about how you guys joke that every silver corolla driver is shitty, well if the ICBC data showed that corolla drivers were responsible for an above average number of accidents, then that vehicle would be moved into a higher risk category and all those owners would have to pay more.

Many things work exactly like this. Take another popular complaint among business owners: WCB.

WCB rate classes are constantly being shifted around, for example roofing companies are like the worst possible rate class, because workers continuously fall off roofs, or ladders and break bones/die.

That's not to say all roofing companies are unsafe, but they do all have to pay for the collective mistake of the shitty contractors. So take someone like penfolds, who is very safe, and doesn't have any accidents. They have the highest possible discount level available as a company, but their company is still listed in the most "at risk" rate class. So they get a lot of discount for being good, but they still pay a lot cause the insurance company believes they operate in an area of above average risk.

EDIT: Note that I have no idea if penfolds is safe or not, I just used them as an example. I have no affiliation with Penfolds, and I do not endorse them or condone them.

I know the repair cost is very high for MB. My car was keyed last year and it cost over 3k to repaint just 4-5 panels. I agree with your points but 30% increase in one year is still excessive

Urrtoast 11-02-2015 02:26 PM

So what Icbc is saying is the majority of MB E550 drivers are bad drivers and crash alot.
I bet alot of them have L or N or C stickers as well.

lol

v_tec 11-02-2015 02:51 PM

OP,
Is it true ICBC no longer accept credit cards starting Nov 1?

Dragon-88 11-02-2015 02:57 PM

I only pay $1600/yr for my corolla. Shouldn't it be like $3k+ with the amount of accidents the 10th gens have in Richmond?

PC69 11-02-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_tec (Post 8695543)
OP,
Is it true ICBC no longer accept credit cards starting Nov 1?

I paid with MC

PC69 11-02-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urrtoast (Post 8695537)
So what Icbc is saying is the majority of MB E550 drivers are bad drivers and crash alot.
I bet alot of them have L or N or C stickers as well.

lol

I guess the rate increase applies to all MB models and probably BMW too. I see plenty of MB and BMW with L/N stickers in Richmond and Vancouver.

BoostedBB6 11-02-2015 03:42 PM

It could have something to do with the fact that ICBC recently went though and caught a ton of errors in there system. People were getting rebate chqs if they were paying to much because they put it in the wrong group or would be charged more when they went to insure it the next time around.

My guess is whoever did your insurance before for the MB put it in the wrong group or put it down as a station wagon and whoever did it this time did not and you see a huge jump. My IS300 was like that too. If I insured it as the wagon it was way cheaper but incorrect.

Jmac 11-02-2015 03:47 PM

My 2006 BMW 3-series was $11xx for the year, about $200/year less than the 2002 Honda Civic I had at the start of the year. Same coverage on both (to & from work over 15 km, collision, comprehensive, $2M liability).

subaru 11-02-2015 03:55 PM

Slightly similar, but did anyone else notice that their comprehensive coverage $2m Liability went up by about 25%-30% or is it just me??
Car is 2000 corolla

yray 11-02-2015 04:09 PM

so you're saying that if I get a E class AMG wagon, the insurance is cheaper than the Sedan AMG.

ICBC :fulloffuck:

flagella 11-02-2015 04:13 PM

What car do you own? As unfair as this seems, it's just unfortunate that you happen to own a car that's in a risky category.

a00755836 11-02-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8695562)
What car do you own? As unfair as this seems, it's just unfortunate that you happen to own a car that's in a risky category.

he said 2012 mb e550.

DGN23 11-02-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8695560)
so you're saying that if I get a E class AMG wagon, the insurance is cheaper than the Sedan AMG.

ICBC :fulloffuck:

Yes, and you will pay more for the coupe over the sedan.

EDawg 11-02-2015 06:55 PM

just under $2k for my '13 STi

ime2006 11-02-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC69 (Post 8695475)
Same discount rate (43%) and policy and no address change. ICBC changed my vehicle group and my insurance went up from $2000 to $2600. Total rip-off by ICBC

I paid mine about the same with MAX discount.