REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
New Home Warranty - Deficiency

Hi,

Taking possession of a new house tomorrow and there's still outstanding deficiencies with it. The home warranty completion certificate asks that we list any deficiencies that still exist with the house and seems to imply that they won't cover any of those items under warranty and that those items are between you and the seller (and the purchase contract).

For those in the know, am I reading this right? Basically any incomplete work by the builder/seller isn't covered under the home warranty and the list I provide is their way of not covering me?

thanks,
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Deficiencies like what?

Warantee does not cover most deficiencies found on like, a home owner walk through etc

even stuff like door seals and drafts are really up to the builder until it becomes an actual "warantable issue" or somthing that is going to cost the warantee provider $$$
Old 11-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Hi,

Taking possession of a new house tomorrow and there's still outstanding deficiencies with it. The home warranty completion certificate asks that we list any deficiencies that still exist with the house and seems to imply that they won't cover any of those items under warranty and that those items are between you and the seller (and the purchase contract).

For those in the know, am I reading this right? Basically any incomplete work by the builder/seller isn't covered under the home warranty and the list I provide is their way of not covering me?

thanks,
First thing if it is a brand new unit and you purchase it from the developer what you should have done is not sign the from till everything is fix. What you need to do through the new home owner walk through list anything that needs fixing and don't sign it till everything is fix.

Once you sign it they will come up with an excuse not to fix it coz they already have your money.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #4

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
^ no the best way to go about is to put it into your purchase agreement and the lawyer/notary public will hold X amount of money until all repairs are completed.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
has the builder received all their $ or is there still a holdback?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
^ no the best way to go about is to put it into your purchase agreement and the lawyer/notary public will hold X amount of money until all repairs are completed.
never seen this happen once in over 300+ units i've been a part of as far as i know. Good idea though if people will go for it
Old 11-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ya i don't see that happening...the home warranty is for major things that the developer won't take care of....of if they ignore you long term

calling the NHW for things like a bad caulking job or paint issues isn't going to get you anywhere, they'll just say contact the builder

if you have any paperwork that still needs to be signed or any leverage on them hold off....talk to your lawyer, i'm sure they'll have other recommendations

but really just become an annoyance to the builder...phone call after phone call and emails will eventually get them to come take care of the issues......or make friends with the deficiency guy and they'll probably help you out. for the first couple months they're will be one guy directing all the trades in the building who are coming through to take care of the deficiencies. they also may not have started yet as they're waiting for a large number of units to start on at once they the guys are busy all day and not just coming for small jobs.

who's the developer and builder?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
never seen this happen once in over 300+ units i've been a part of as far as i know. Good idea though if people will go for it
my parents did that with their current house. it took a couple months but the builder finally came back to do some minor stuff they said they would do which was really minor. iirc it was put on some cupboard doors and a pole & clothesline. the holdback wasn't a lot of money but i guess he finally had time and wanted the rest of it.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #9

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
my parents did that with their current house. it took a couple months but the builder finally came back to do some minor stuff they said they would do which was really minor. iirc it was put on some cupboard doors and a pole & clothesline. the holdback wasn't a lot of money but i guess he finally had time and wanted the rest of it.
yup, my parents did the same with our previous house. there was very minor stuff that needed to be corrected so the lawyer suggested that we did this. it sure worked because all the work was completed fairly quickly.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #10

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Thanks, in our case a holdback wasn't possible b/c the seller refused to acknowledge our list and our proposed holdback amount during the 2 weeks before the deal completed. Though he actually did complete a lot of the work on our list he refused to ever sign it or agree to an amount. Technically he is in breach of contract and we could sue him for anything that's not done.

We've since taken possession and the seller has gone from very dickish to surprisingly pleasant and willing to help. Hopefully we can get him to address the remaining items over the next couple weeks.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

taking a holdback is easy when you're paying the builder directly who's building your house.....when buying a condo that's impossible to do
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote