REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Travel Shaving Kits?

I wasn't sure where to post this. Hopefully it's okay here.

My dad travels, and recently Air Canada lost his luggage, along with his travel shaving kit that he's had since forever.

I want to replace it as his Christmas gift, but I don't want to ask him otherwise it will spoil everything. I use a shaver so I'm clueless as to what to get and where... can anyone who uses a razor help me?

I don't remember exactly what he had before, but it looked like this:

http://www.beautybar.com/p/the-art-o...scented-814419

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
hmmm is hard to suggest something without a budget. It could be as cheap as #40 and go all up to several hundred.
When I travel I just use my electric shaver.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Witness protection

i'm expecting to spend in the neighborhood of $200.

he dosen't use a shaver... says it does a half-assed job.

the only place i know not online is house of knives.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/RevolucionFineGiftsandCigars (Edit: They are in Yaletown.)

They carry a good stock of finer products. My personal opinion is Art of Shaving stuff is a cop-out.

I've had good experience with Edwin Jagger, which is sold at Revolucion. They folks there are pretty helpful and knowledgeable. Pick him up a few cigars while you're there. Good luck.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Witness protection

thanks. any recommendations out of their lineup? i wish i paid more attention to brand his was. he's had it for over 20 years and it was high end... damn you air canada

Last edited by thumper; 11-24-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Most of the Edwin Jagger line is pretty good. I bought a "low end" brush 10 years ago, and it still holds up well. It all boils down to how much you want to spend.

Their shavers are very nicely made, and in comparison with an entry level German-made Merkur, the Edwin Jagger is just THAT much nicer in terms of quality, materials and finish. If you want to get something purely for travel, Merkur makes a travel sized shaver as well which I bring on all my business and personal trips.

Keep an open mind as to what they sell. There are a lot of other shops in Vancouver that carry different lines, but I find most of it is just run-of-the-mill. For shave creams, I have had excellent results using Taylor of Old Bond Street, also a British brand. The folks at Revolucion won't steer you the wrong way. Be prepared to cough up a few extra bucks, but just remember, this is for your dad, and not just some chump off the street!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
Witness protection

thanks for the advice bcrdukes.

Last edited by thumper; 11-24-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
These guys are all natural and doesn't leave you with that "musky" smell..

Men's Wet Shaving Sets with Brushes and Travel Shaving Kits - Baxter

I use their shave cream + deodorant. Not baller enough to afford the rest.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I have art of shave products. They are fairly high quality and long lasting.

Baxter products are good too as above.

Check out the Fendrihan website for stuff. they have pre made kits on there, or you can put together your own bundle. The prices are fair.

I have an Art of Shave handle for Gillette 4 blade on (fusion?) and the full shave kit, oil, aftershave balm, shaving cream, brush.

Also have a Mercur double edge razor (best way to go). I haven't used my Gillette since I got the double edge. I bought a whole bunch of blades for super cheap... http://www.tryablade.com/blade <--- good place to get small quantities of different blades. Or get a bunch of ones that you like from around the world.

Also i think you SHOULD get this for him for sure, its Proraso Green!!!! Highly recommended. Shit is amazing. Use it for pre shave or after shave or both.

I am looking for a travel kit as well, please let me know what you end up going with.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #10
RS Veteran

I may be the only one against the grain here (hah) but my personal experience with Baxter and Art of Shaving has not been positive whatsoever. I could not recommend it in any way or form.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I may be the only one against the grain here (hah) but my personal experience with Baxter and Art of Shaving has not been positive whatsoever. I could not recommend it in any way or form.
I have to say the opposite on Art of Shave. I like their shaving creams quite a lot. and they last a long long long time.

Most of my experience with Baxters has been through samples and not long time use, so may be just good in small doses?
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
Witness protection

thank you for the advice everyone.

i went with bcrdukes recommendation and went to REVOLUCION. wow what a great place. i've never been a shop like that before.

they talked me down from an edwin jagger and sold me a merkur solingen instead, because my dad's old one was a long handle, which the solingen is. prices seemed fair compared to the few places online i looked at and at house of knives.

next i have to go with what nabs mentioned and get blades from http://www.tryablade.com/blade ... any specifics i should look at? REVOLUCION threw in a 10 pak of platnium stainless merkur supers.

but i was unable to decide upon a shaving soap for him. they told me to think about it some more and come back. i did look on http://www.baxterofcalifornia.com/products/shave/kits/ but again i don't know which to choose. i don't want to talk to my dad because he will know what's up lol... recommendations appreciated again.

Last edited by thumper; 11-29-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Glad to hear Revolucion took care of you and they didn't up-sell you. The Merkur-Sollingen's are well made and well priced, offering the best bang for buck.

From my experience, the Merkur Super blades are the best. I have very coarse facial hair and the Merkur blades outperform a lot of the brands out there. They also last a lot longer.

Keep in mind, everyone's facial hair is different, so make note of your dad's. Most people I know who wet shave have tried various brand, but always gravitate back to the Merkur. The only way to know is to sample different blades, but I wouldn't go overboard on it. Blades are cheap to buy so it won't be the end of the world.

As for soaps, you'll just have to dive in head first and get him something.

Edit: If you want some Astra blades, I have a shit tonne. I want to get rid of that shit pronto - FREE. PM me if interested.

This post thanked by: