REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Electric and Hybrid Car Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706431-electric-hybrid-car-thread.html)

Hondaracer 04-19-2018 07:58 PM

Yea might as well when you’re doing the wiring already, good foresight

I commend you for your tree hugging though, personally when it comes to EV’s I’m a bottom line type guy

MG1 04-24-2018 02:46 PM

Nice!! They Installed a DC Fast charger at the Coquitlam Superstore. All Superstores will have them. I was at 60% battery charge, plugged her in and done is 7 minutes flat. City of Vancouver is going to have 30 of them within a couple of years. The electrician I talked to today said there will be one within ten minutes drive from each other. I believe the ones at the Superstores will eventually be pay stations at 30-35 cents per Kw. Still a helluva lot cheaper than gasoline. Who knows? In ten years, we may have clean enough air to see downtown buildings clearly again, gulolol. I’m doing my part.

!Aznboi128 04-25-2018 09:05 PM

Although fast chargers are around, I still find it hard to charge. I had a chance to drive the PHEV Clarity, and it was a good mix. With 72km of electric range, it was enough for me to go to work and home for a few days without trying to find a charger. And if one could not be found, I just let the battery run flat, and the system automatically switches to the gas engine.

Personally, PHEV is the way to go for another few years until more charging stations pops up.

MG1 06-08-2019 07:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MfD67KCFxqI

Cot Dam, I soooooo want this car.

punkwax 06-08-2019 09:07 AM

^ yes. That will be my first EV.

https://media.giphy.com/media/IcCd2FhIzuIo0/giphy.gif

Traum 06-08-2019 11:02 AM

EV, RWD, Honda reliability (hopefully?). All the right ingredients.

I don't actually understand why Honda has no plans to release it in N.America. 200km is plenty for a city car, and many of the earlier EVs have ranges that are far poorer than that (I'm looking at you, 1st gen Leaf!) Even the current i3 only has ~250km range, so a 200km range isn't uncompetitive.

MG1 06-08-2019 01:31 PM

Cot dam, why did I post about it. Now I have to fight off the competition. Although, by the sounds of it, they may have plenty ready to go. Not like Civic Type R.

Come to think of it........... I better go to the dealership and put down some money.

Anyone on RS a Honda salesperson? PM me, gulolol.

punkwax 06-08-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8950192)

I don't actually understand why Honda has no plans to release it in N.America

Well that sucks.

donjalapeno 06-08-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8950192)

I don't actually understand why Honda has no plans to release it in N.America. 200km is plenty for a city car, and many of the earlier EVs have ranges that are far poorer than that (I'm looking at you, 1st gen Leaf!) Even the current i3 only has ~250km range, so a 200km range isn't uncompetitive.

2013-2015 Leafs have 130-150km range and we sell them like hot cakes. We sell more used Leafs than any Nissan dealership in the country. 200km is more than enough for most people. Honda should definitely bring it over to NA

MG1 06-08-2019 03:50 PM

WHAT???????????? FUCK YOU, Honda Canada. Yet another reason for me not to buy Honda anymore. Latest three vehicles have been non Honda after 5 decades of owning nothing but Honda cars. This was going to get me back into loving Honda again. Arghhhhh.............

supafamous 06-08-2019 04:33 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/11/19/...ed-for-europe/

In the rest of the world Honda offers up the CR-V as a hybrid and it'd likely get close to 40mpg on our tests. It uses what appears to be a detuned version of the Accord Hybrid drivetrain - if it was the un-detuned version I'd sign up pretty quick. As a new parent, the CR-V hit all the marks for me except it lacked about 20-30hp (would have been nice to have a real transmission too).

Fingers crossed that Honda or Acura offer up a hybrid of either the CR-V or RDX soon - I'd buy now if they had it but I'm holding off on buying a pure ICE version of their cars at the moment.

68style 06-08-2019 04:55 PM

^ have you driven one though? I spent some time behind the wheel of a new CRV and it was the automotive equivalent of eating plain oatmeal, what a completely vapid and uninspiring experience........

Hehe 06-08-2019 05:52 PM

I don't even have EV yet, but just installed a Nema 14-50 socket today when an electrician was coming to do some work on the breaker box for some problem we were having. He was able to do it for $50 extra (not including the materials, which was $150 or so) :fuckthatshit:

I figured I'm going Tesla after wife's lease is up and in-laws (who's already ordered one) can use it when they come over.

supafamous 06-08-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8950206)
^ have you driven one though? I spent some time behind the wheel of a new CRV and it was the automotive equivalent of eating plain oatmeal, what a completely vapid and uninspiring experience........

Have you driven the competition? The CX-5 is the only one that drives better, the rest are all hot garbage in comparison. I didn't love the CR-V as-is - the CVT sucks ass thus the RDX is at the top of my list BUT if it had a better drivetrain (like the Accord Hybrid) I could live with it for $10K less than the RDX. It's a baby-mobile so I gotta compromise, I ain't driving a Stelvio or X3.

I wish VW would sell a GTI wagon or sell the Golf R wagon here - I really liked the Golf wagon but it was missing a few luxury type features that I really wanted (ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, memory seats for example).

68style 06-08-2019 07:53 PM

I agree the CX5 is the only one I would want to drive, my sister has a newer RAV-4 and it also made me feel like sighing in resignation.

EvoSpider 06-09-2019 11:35 AM

For some reason, all the eGolfs on Craigslist are imported from US.

supafamous 06-09-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoSpider (Post 8950237)
For some reason, all the eGolfs on Craigslist are imported from US.

Vw.ca says there's a 12-18 month waitlist right now for Canadian e-Golfs so that would probably explain it.

Was chatting with my friend about how electric cars are getting to the point where they are cheaper than gas cars to own and operate and it really brought into relief how close we are to the tipping point. He spends about $200/mo on gas on his Civic hatch so figure $2k/yr after accounting for the cost of charging an electric. If he keeps the electric for 8 years (avg ownership of cars is now about 8-10 years) he'd save $16K just in operational cost and that doesn't even count lower maintenance costs (no oil changes, fewer brake jobs and fewer fluid changes).

Consider that a Kia Niro EV is $45K to start with a $10K rebate while a Civic hatch ranges from $24 to $32K and the numbers start coming up pretty good for the electric for a lot of use cases today.

In a few years when the 2nd rev of these cars show up (level 3+ charging, 500km of range) and charging stations are more common the debate might well die.

Man, I really gotta think hard about whether my next car is an ICE car or not.

supafamous 06-10-2019 05:07 AM

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...ch-eu-co2-goal

Mazda announces EV for 2020 but it comes to Europe first.

Mazda has been pretty firm in the past about not working on EVs and Hybrids but they're backed into a corner and are partnering up with Toyota now to ship EVs. A Mazda EV is pretty tempting - if it's a CX-5 sized car then it'd hit a lot of marks for me even at $60K but I don't think I could wait till 2021 or so for it to actually show up in Canada.

UnknownJinX 06-10-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 8950284)
https://europe.autonews.com/automake...ch-eu-co2-goal

Mazda announces EV for 2020 but it comes to Europe first.

Mazda has been pretty firm in the past about not working on EVs and Hybrids but they're backed into a corner and are partnering up with Toyota now to ship EVs. A Mazda EV is pretty tempting - if it's a CX-5 sized car then it'd hit a lot of marks for me even at $60K but I don't think I could wait till 2021 or so for it to actually show up in Canada.

The EV is gonna be a Mazda platform, not a Toyota one.

Either way, I am waiting to see the rotary range extender if that's really a thing.

twitchyzero 07-02-2019 10:37 PM

too bad not available this side of pond (and overpriced/poor range)

Jas29 07-03-2019 10:50 PM

Dads loving his model 3. Hes been charging it mondays and fridays at work.

The only real issue we have had is getting enough power to have a suitable charger for home use right now we have a 30amp circuit which gives 35kph of charge. If we wanted a faster charger we would have to upgrade the power line coming to our house which isnt really worth the cost with him being able to charge at work for free right now

Koflach 07-05-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jas29 (Post 8952619)
Dads loving his model 3. Hes been charging it mondays and fridays at work.

The only real issue we have had is getting enough power to have a suitable charger for home use right now we have a 30amp circuit which gives 35kph of charge. If we wanted a faster charger we would have to upgrade the power line coming to our house which isnt really worth the cost with him being able to charge at work for free right now

my neighbour installed a range plug in my garage and it gets me about 50 kph of charge.

MG1 07-05-2019 11:32 AM

Not being picky, but you guys referring to kWh?

As in kilowatt per hour. KPH, I think stands for kilometres per hour, a measure of speed.

Just Saiyan..............

carry on carrying on.

CorneringArtist 07-05-2019 11:44 AM

Just picked up a Rav4 Hybrid the other day. Considering it shares a platform with the Camry, it's surprisingly nimble for an SUV. With my commute between Surrey and Langley, I'm pulling in 5.7L/100km, so I'm looking forward to getting some real drives in to test the range.

Being that it's $1400 difference between a gas and a hybrid, the break-even is insanely short.

Jas29 07-05-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8952775)
Not being picky, but you guys referring to kWh?

As in kilowatt per hour. KPH, I think stands for kilometres per hour, a measure of speed.

Just Saiyan..............

carry on carrying on.

If you go on the Tesla website they have a chart that shows you how many Km's you can drive after charging for an hour at different amps

So 30 amp breaker, max output would be 24amps , 5.7kW and 35 kilometers of range every hour (kph)