REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Electric and Hybrid Car Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706431-electric-hybrid-car-thread.html)

TypeRNammer 04-25-2023 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 9097148)
So I noticed that Tesla's website is showing that the Model Y LR is eligible for full rebates? Sounds fishy, or has the value prop gone up that much since I last looked?

Because the base Model Y trim is under $60,000, the rebate triggers for the LR version which is under $70,000 MSRP

Koflach 04-25-2023 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badhobz (Post 9096769)
is this barely 400km range an issue for most people? i mean technically youre suppose to charge it every evening in your own mansion so it shouldnt be an issue. But i find the plug in and out a pain in the ass.

Im the only guy i know who've ripped his ctek charger off the wall and drove away with it trailing it behind me like a "just married" chain of cans. Fuck plugging shit in and out.

not sure about other EV's but you can't drive a Tesla if it's plugged in. even dipshits can't drive away with the car plugged in.

roverT 04-26-2023 02:38 PM

I did a test of NCA battery degradation in the 2020 Model X after 3 years and 50,000kms. Most of its life (75%) it's been level 2 charged. The other 25% has been through superchargers. The car brand new had a 524km range @ 100%. Today it's 500km @ 100% at around the same season/temp as the brand new range. So it's only lost around 3% to 4%. The battery is normally charged to 80% unless road tripping. Most of the degradation happens in the first few years then it plateaus. Just thought I'd post as I found that an interesting observation.

Manic! 04-27-2023 10:47 PM

Richmond RCMP just added a model y to its fleet. https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...rcmp-tesla-ev/

Badhobz 04-28-2023 05:28 AM

It was at the outlet yesterday. They have some sort of a po po don’t leave shit in your car event.
https://i.postimg.cc/KvwT34X5/IMG-3157.jpg

supafamous 05-12-2023 11:08 AM

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

I think someone local drove a Vinfast as well? This review is not kind to it.

Quote:

Fifteen years ago, the foundations for my car-reviewing philosophy were laid by my first editor-in-chief, Angus MacKenzie. "It's simple," he told me, "I want all cars to be good and I'm disappointed when they're not." I apply it to every car I drive, new or old, stock or custom. Many of us in automotive journalism have even taken to saying there are no "bad" cars anymore, as even the least-impressive cars on the market are all pretty decent nowadays. That's no longer true. The 2023 VinFast VF8 is nowhere near ready for public consumption, yet it's already being delivered to customers.

It's too bad, because VinFast seems to have the right idea here. Two-row SUVs are the heart of the market, and especially so for EVs. The VF8 is roomy, loaded with features, and has a competitive driving range. Moreover, most of the problems with the VF8 could likely be fixed with over-the-air (OTA) software updates.

As it stands now, though, I'd be embarrassed to look a customer in the eye when handing over the keys to this vehicle. I've driven camouflaged prototypes that were far closer to production-ready than the in-production VF8.

68style 05-13-2023 12:13 AM

What do you guys think of the electric baby Land Cruiser? Looks like it's based on a RAV-4 to me wheelbase wise, but it definitely caught my attention this morning and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it here!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...nd-cruiser-ev/

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...1639491060.jpg

Badhobz 05-13-2023 01:08 AM

Looks like a friggin Lego.

JDMDreams 05-13-2023 07:47 AM

Coming 2040, only with trade in, 10% financing :accepted:

underscore 05-13-2023 09:21 AM

It'd look pretty good if they finished painting it instead of having all that plastic that makes it look like a jacked up truck that has weenie winter tires on.

EvoFire 05-13-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMDreams (Post 9098921)
Coming 2040, only with trade in, 10% financing :accepted:

We are pretty damn close to 10% as is.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 9098925)
It'd look pretty good if they finished painting it instead of having all that plastic that makes it look like a jacked up truck that has weenie winter tires on.

Seems to be Toyota's thing lately where every car comes in like 3 colours.

underscore 05-13-2023 04:02 PM

Lol true, the GR Corolla Circuit Edition in Heavy Metal has like 5 different greys/blacks on it, it's kind of a mess.

Manic! 05-15-2023 07:09 PM

A vinfast ship was seen at rhe Nanaimo port. According to this it has 781 cars on it. https://cleantechnica.com/2023/04/18...north-america/

Eff-1 05-15-2023 08:35 PM

A resident in our condo has moved in and owns a Kia (not sure which model). She is demanding to install a "Juicebox" on the wall so that she can charge her Kia and says that's the only way. On the wall we already have a NEMA 14-30 outlet. Is she correct? Is there any reason to deny her request that we should be aware of? She's the only EV owner I know of that has said she needs to install something. Everyone else, from Bolts to Teslas to Leafs, never asked for anything, they just charge. Thanks

SSM_DC5 05-15-2023 08:46 PM

^resident trying hard to get rebate for the install? Rebate is only good for JuiceBox brand

Eff-1 05-15-2023 09:43 PM

Well she already bought/owns the Juicebox, so maybe she used it in her last place? She just moved in and is asking for permission to bolt it to the wall.

Assuming all she is doing is bolting it to the wall and it plugs directly into our NEMA 14-30, I don't see any issues other than the wall being drilled, unless I am missing something?

The previous owner who used that parking stall had a Tesla. Never heard a peep from her regarding having to install a charger.

underscore 05-15-2023 10:16 PM

If you find out the model it should be easy enough to look up the charging requirements, no?

Mikoyan 05-15-2023 11:38 PM

It seems to be just a wifi app enabled Smart charger. I don't think it's necessary to charge the vehicle. Sounds to me like the resident just wants the convenience of the app, if there's wifi coverage at the install location. If there isn't wifi, any chance she's going to start asking to have that installed as that she can't control her charge without it? The physical install looks to be simple unless you need an electrician for hardwiring.
I'm wondering is what version of the juicebox the resident has. Is the plug into the NeMa version is to code here, or would it need to be the hard wired version?

SSM_DC5 05-16-2023 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 9099192)
Well she already bought/owns the Juicebox, so maybe she used it in her last place? She just moved in and is asking for permission to bolt it to the wall.

Assuming all she is doing is bolting it to the wall and it plugs directly into our NEMA 14-30, I don't see any issues other than the wall being drilled, unless I am missing something?

The previous owner who used that parking stall had a Tesla. Never heard a peep from her regarding having to install a charger.

If you don't want the wall drilled, she can get a stand and use pavers to weight it down. https://evcharging.enelx.com/ca/en/s...juicestand-pro

She likely wants to wall mount to have a nice way to hang the unit and cable. You might also want to confirm plug or hardwired, because if you answer yes without knowing, she may go and remove your nema outlet to hardwire it in.

Eff-1 05-16-2023 10:35 AM

So I did a bit more digging on my end and I think I have identified an issue with her request.

The outlets installed in the parkade are all NEMA 14-30 and connected on a 30amp circuit. If we draw more than 30 amps, the breaker trips.

Juicebox's smallest unit is 32 amps and goes up from there.

It appears she is asking to remove and replace the 14-30 with a 14-50 and having her electrician come in and do that.

I've sent all of this to our electrician to review. Unless he comes back and says otherwise, I think we'll decline the request, unless she opts to use the Juicebox 14-30 adapter, which she can then plug in her via the adapter. In that case, the Juicebox operates at a max of 24 amps.

Eff-1 05-16-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikoyan (Post 9099204)
It seems to be just a wifi app enabled Smart charger. I don't think it's necessary to charge the vehicle. Sounds to me like the resident just wants the convenience of the app, if there's wifi coverage at the install location. If there isn't wifi, any chance she's going to start asking to have that installed as that she can't control her charge without it? The physical install looks to be simple unless you need an electrician for hardwiring.
I'm wondering is what version of the juicebox the resident has. Is the plug into the NeMa version is to code here, or would it need to be the hard wired version?

This is a good point too. There is no wifi in the parkade, but there is cell service (not great though).

She sent a photo of her Juicebox unit. It doesn't say a model number on it, but it has a plug that goes right into the wall.

Her request was:

Quote:

Hi, as per the attached images, I would like to install the Juicebox on the wall in the parking stall (179). I’ve circled the flat metal bracket that would be screwed into the concrete. And shown in the second photo is roughly where it would be placed.

Then the Juicebox itself attaches to that bracket and it has a key that allows me to lock it to the bracket. So as long as the bracket is properly affixed and cannot be manually torn off the wall, the device should be secure.

Then the cable plugs into the outlet that is there, which would be taken care of by the electrician in terms of assuring the correct wiring/connection.
And then from my own research, I figured out Juicebox only plugs into a 14-50, so essentially what she wants to do is replace our 14-30 with a 14-50 and also mount the unit to the wall.

Mounting the unit doesn't bother me so much.

But our circuits are only 30 amps so that's going to be a deal breaker I think.

SSM_DC5 05-16-2023 10:57 AM

Ease of changing to 14-50 will depend on the wiring inside of the wall. Best case scenario at this point is her electrician just swaps to nema14-50 and the breaker to 40 or 50 amps. This only works if the wiring inside the wall can handle the increased amps. Hopefully your electrician can tell you what the wire inside the wall can handle.

Eff-1 05-16-2023 12:57 PM

Agreed, and in our case both the wire and breaker are rated at 30 amps.

The owner just got back to us and acknowledged she had no idea about our limitations so she's going to instead order a 24 amp charging cable and not need the Juicebox.

Dragon-88 05-16-2023 01:33 PM

Has any other condo's looked into upgrading their parkades to accept multiple charging stations? Just curious to see what everyone's experience was.

We had a company come to our condo and quoted to upgrade the current parking infrastructure to allow for EV charging at all parking spots. It was something like $500K for just the infrasturcture + the cost of the charger was which ~$3300.00

In the end the project was denied as our building just couldnt justify the costs of the upgrade for the fact we didnt even get chargers included and apparently the level 2 charging would've dropped to to Level 1 if there were a number of vehicles charging at the same time, on top of the fact probably only 5% of the residents have electric vehicles.

Eff-1 05-17-2023 09:58 AM

I suggest going to Reddit Vancouver and searching for strata EV upgrade, you'll find lots of threads where people have asked similar questions and shared their experiences.