REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Thread

Not sure if there's a thread on RS, but if there is, so solly............

I'm pretty sure there are some owners of electric, hybrid, solar, hydrogen fuelled vehicles on RS.

I drive an all electric vehicle and love it. No gas, oil changes, gears, just a lot of torque. Smooth acceleration. Some drawbacks, of course. Anyway..........
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I was considering one as we have charging stations at work and, with a 115 km round trip commute, it would save me a ton on fuel costs ... But I was told employees aren't allowed to use them
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
I always think to myself how many tanks of gas would I have to save to offset the high cost of purchasing an electric vehicle or even a hybrid for that matter over a conventional car and when the math comes out to 10 years of gas fills give or take I go back to my dinosaur burner pretty fast.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
MG1

Got $10, 000 off price. Government $5000.00 and manufacturer (Mercedes) matched the government incentive. Otherwise, like you, I would have said so for $20,000.00 I was like, why not?

Last edited by MG1; 11-24-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
What did you get? Only electric car i'd buy would be the Tesla.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
MG1

I'm so impressed with electric vehicles, I'm probably going to get a Tesla in the near future.

The electric car is not mine. It belongs to a family member, but I get to take it out often. It's a Smart for Two. Not many cars can keep up with it. Until you're on the freeway. The car maxes out at 135 km/h. Going up a steep hill, the thing is a monster. Anyway, I was hoping someone with a Nissan Leaf would chime in. The range on these things are not great. I need to get a level 2 charger. For zipping around town, nothing beats this little car.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
yo MG1 you can charge your EV free of charge at IKEA while you enjoy your free $1 breakfast this friday

Anyhow, I always wonder what would happen when we don't have enough EV stations for cars. Doubt everyone will invest a few grand to put a fast charger in their garages. Also, what do you do if you live in a condo... strata

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 11-24-2015 at 06:34 PM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
MG1

The chargers at Ikea are damn good. RS mini meet? Like the good ol' days........... when we never invited people like yray, hee hee.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
I gotta listen to that announcement every 20 mins , and I was there at all of the meets, nobody noticed

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I'm so impressed with electric vehicles, I'm probably going to get a Tesla in the near future.

The electric car is not mine. It belongs to a family member, but I get to take it out often. It's a Smart for Two. Not many cars can keep up with it. Until you're on the freeway. The car maxes out at 135 km/h. Going up a steep hill, the thing is a monster. Anyway, I was hoping someone with a Nissan Leaf would chime in. The range on these things are not great. I need to get a level 2 charger. For zipping around town, nothing beats this little car.
Electric smart car sounds pretty fun. I bet its way better than the gas powered one. If anyones driven them you would know they are the biggest pieces of shit in terms of drivetrain. Electric motor would smooth that right out.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Nissan leaf is okay. Driven 3 different ones. Range is around 130 fully charged? To get all the juice out of it you can't have the heater or A/C running. In the summer its fine you can roll the windows down, but as you are using heater to defrost windows and heat cabin in this time of year your mileage goes down.

Highway speeds also drain battery faster. I calculated from PoCo to Boundary Rd off highway 1 and back was roughly 10-20km more drain than the actual trip. Cant remember exact number.

Great as a 2nd car for the family, short trips, grocery store etc. Wouldn't recommend as a daily driver unless you have charging ports at work, and your commute is under 70km
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Model E pre-orders start March 2016 #justsayin

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

driven a leaf before at work. some civic tried to race me at a red light, i smoked him with insta torque
then the mileage went down by 20km...
OGCStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
I don't get it

I am waiting on the Tesla Model 3...
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
MG1

Right now, I turn on heated seats, heater, etc, and the thing just sucks up power. To boot, the battery isn't optimal in cold weather. Still, can get two days or more out of it driving in and around Vancouver/Burnaby.

Driving the snot out of it means having to plug it in each evening. Today, a Lexus IS whatever kept up, but not uphill. No gears is a blast.

I made it out to Abbotsford one day......... silly me, started out with 80% battery power. Planned to stay at friend's workplace. Plugged the car in and hung out. Something came up and friend had to go. That was not good. Charged at the Timmy Ho's by Sumas Way for an hour. Not enough to get home. Next stop, Walnut Grove Community Centre. Hung out at library for an hour (damn, MILF eye candy). Got to Lougheed Town Centre and plugged in for 20 minutes......... enough to get home. Never do that again, LOL. With full battery and sticking to posted speed limit, I would have made it home, but no.......... live and learn, I guess.

Last edited by MG1; 11-24-2015 at 09:06 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #16
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Electric smart car sounds pretty fun. I bet its way better than the gas powered one. If anyones driven them you would know they are the biggest pieces of shit in terms of drivetrain. Electric motor would smooth that right out.
Got that right. I saw the EPA on the gas models and went WTF? I test drove a diesel version years ago and it was hideous/horrible. Most people see my little EV Smart Car thinking it's the gas powered one. They smirk, until I destroy them at the light. I wait till they catch up and give them a really good grin.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #17
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
I'd be interested to hear from the biodiesel RSers
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
i remember watchin top gear aussie and they were talking about alternative fuel cars, one of them was driving a V8 biodiesel Holden Commodore & he called it "guilt free driving"

only problem for them is they dont have a lot of gas stations that have biodiesel, not sure if canada in the same situation as them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if there's a thread on RS, but if there is, so solly............

I'm pretty sure there are some owners of electric, hybrid, solar, hydrogen fuelled vehicles on RS.

I drive an all electric vehicle and love it. No gas, oil changes, gears, just a lot of torque. Smooth acceleration. Some drawbacks, of course. Anyway..........
wait a min, dont u drive a blk 89 civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #20
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I fully believe the car I buy after the next one will be electric driven. Whether it stores that electricity via batteries or hydrogen fuel cell remains to be seen.

My three main concerns will eventually be addressed in due time.

First is range, Telsla fixed that. They go pretty far without a charge.
Second is availability of chargers. The more electrics there, the more charging stations there will be. Supply and demand.
Third is charge time... As someone who takes a lot of road trips, this is a big one. I don't want to sit around for a few hours waiting for the thing to charge. I want to be able to fill up, squeegee the windshield and go... 15 mins and done... This is a huge drawback.

I'm aware of the things Tesla is coming up with to get past #3 like battery swaps and high amperage charging so this issue will be resolved soon.

Yet I still prefer hydrogen. It has all the benefits of electric without the toxic batteries. You don't even have to transport the hydrogen to the fueling stations. It can be generated on the spot with some solar panels and water.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
My dad just ordered the Tesla Model X, and I am planning to get an used Nissan Leaf as daily driver. It seems when u buy a EV, you should learn from current users whether the battery will last. The Leaf battery seems to degrade (drop to 8/12 on the battery indicator on the dash) after 4years of charging. Replacing the battery under warranty should be covered in the first 4yrs, but you will worry how long it will last in long run, consider a new battery itself and installation cost about 6-7grand + labour.

Also, pay attention to the breakeven years when using cheap fuel and electric car. I drive only 20km daily in average, even with the fuel price double in Asia and literally half price on the car (no 100% sales tax), it won't break even after 10yrs of driving.

Last edited by asian_XL; 11-25-2015 at 01:07 AM.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
FYI... some stuff pulled off prius forums...

Blocking the front intake grille on a hybrid vehicle is one of the most significant improvements that any hybrid owner can make to offset the inevitable loss in fuel economy during the winter months.

Why block the front grille?

On the Prius and Civic Hybrid the optimal performance range occurs when the gas engine temperature is between 60C and 90C. In between those ranges both cars offer additional stages of operation particularly in areas affecting electric propulsion, regeneration and fuel consumption rates. However, when the ambient temperatures fall below freezing , it not only takes longer for the vehicle’s engine to arrive to the optimal range, but sometimes depending on how low the ambient temperature actually is, it may not even reach ideal operation at all.
The main reason why this is so is because as the vehicle moves forward the colder air rushes into the engine bay and prevents the engine from warming up as quickly as it should.

Now, if we factor in the fact that the car is being operated by a human being, the climate control is also likely to be set to "warm up" the passenger cabin. This too helps deplete/steal the heat the engine is producing thus slowing down the warm-up process even further.

Because the Prius and HCH have smaller engines, they also produce less heat since heat produced is a function of how little fuel gets burnt per unit of time. This makes these and other small cars more sensitive to cold weather operation and causes severe losses of fuel economy performance.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #23
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
After driving a diesel, I don't think I could go back to gas. My fuel efficiency is nuts with my truck. A fill up from empty runs me about $60. 55L tank gets me a little over 700km running 33" tires.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Yet I still prefer hydrogen. It has all the benefits of electric without the toxic batteries. You don't even have to transport the hydrogen to the fueling stations. It can be generated on the spot with some solar panels and water.
It takes a lot of energy to separate out a significant amount of hydrogen from water. Your solar panels will probably give you enough to run a lighter for a few seconds.

Besides... you're taking solar electricity to generate hydrogen to power a fuel cell to run your electric engine... why not just take the power straight from the solar panel? You're wasting a ton of energy in the processing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
I made it out to Abbotsford one day......... silly me, started out with 80% battery power. Planned to stay at friend's workplace. Plugged the car in and hung out. Something came up and friend had to go. That was not good. Charged at the Timmy Ho's by Sumas Way for an hour. Not enough to get home. Next stop, Walnut Grove Community Centre. Hung out at library for an hour (damn, MILF eye candy). Got to Lougheed Town Centre and plugged in for 20 minutes......... enough to get home. Never do that again, LOL. With full battery and sticking to posted speed limit, I would have made it home, but no.......... live and learn, I guess.
So one slight change in your day cost you 2 and a half hours? That alone would keep me from wanting to buy one.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: