REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 12-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #51
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Looks for MG1 post......... Dafuq?

Berz out.
I was wondering that as well lol, I think he was responding to me
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #52
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

where is your coffee shop kr4l?
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #53
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I was wondering that as well lol, I think he was responding to me
Fuck, sorry my bad!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #54

Coffeeslut, that's smart!

Would be fun to host Thursday meets here actually. I have a parking area that can hold maybe 30 cars'ish? Under cover too!

kr4l, I like your style and how you explain things. It's straight to the point, and honest. Lot's of people don't want to hear it like that, but i really appreciate it a lot. So thank you. I thought I can be successful because I can put a heart ontop of your latte? Looks like i'm shit out of luck. Darn! Jokes aside though, i'm not looking to become a millionare with this right now, I want to come in a show people a good coffee experience. to be continued..
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #55
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Will u have condense milk, I don't know why Starbucks don't have condense milk for the coffee, I started using it and I like it.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #56

I'm opening a business in Richmond, so I don't think i have a choice! LOLOL
Old 12-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #57

When's the opening and where I'll be happy to come by.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #58
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
where is your coffee shop kr4l?
The Bubble Tea Shop under Superstore on 3 road. Not really a coffee shop haha but I do have it. My old coffee shop I had for 6 years was on West Broadway and Oak. I sold it in July because I was working way too fucking hard, not smart

Yeah let us know when the opening is. I'd love to drop by and chit chat
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #59

Personally, I would go to a coffee shop that has a very chill vibe that has enough outlets and great food for me to hang out and work for hours. Been looking for a shop like that lately but haven't really been able to find one besides waves or Starbucks.

Being a marketer, I would definitely say that you want to have at least one thing in your store that is sort of "gimmicky". Create a social media campaign focused on this one thing months before your store opens and it will be packed. Look at Catfe for example, they have a progress bar showing exactly when they are going to be open so people can follow them in somewhat real time, and their idea is gimmicky enough that they have over 8k followers BEFORE they even open! Other examples would be soft peaks and 720 sweets. Social media is here for a reason, utilize it to its fullest potential!

Goodluck and definitely let us know when it opens! I'll be one of the first customers!
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 AM   #60

offer coffee styles around to world?

A Cute Animated Guide To The Many Ways To Brew Coffee - Digg
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Something you need to ask yourself is, what is around your location? Residential? Commercial businesses? What's your clientele? Competition?

Is your business mainly based Monday - Friday sales or just weekends? Lunch time? Dinner? After dinner? whats the minimum you need to make a day to stay afloat? Food cost? Labour cost? Fixed costs? Rent?
These are all very important points that should be taken into consideration. I do retail consulting (from a locational and development standpoint) and there are many many variables that can provide you success or failure for your business.

What are the demographics of the area? How is it growing over the next five years? What are the culinary preferences of the potential clientele and are you able to meet them? Is there a lot of current competition? How far out is your primary trade area that you will try to capture from? Is it a 1km radius? Or is this a destination that will pull people from around Richmond?

From a location standpoint... is the leased space easily accessible? Is there a critical mass of commercial space around the cafe? Many businesses fail when they are isolated from other commercial uses. Does it have good visibility from the street in both directions? Is there a lot of pedestrian traffic or is it mainly vehicles? Parking is a huge issue for many cafes/restaurants, do you have enough? People will avoid certain places if they can't park.

On the other hand, if you create a destination that everyone loves to go to and is unique, then many of these questions can get thrown out the window because people will make the effort to go. But these types of places are rare.

Just some things to think about other than the coffee you are serving.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #62

may have spotted your shop under construction. not sure why I didn't notice earlier since I drive past that area often and live quite close. is it across from a td bank? called '12 something something"?
Old 12-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #63
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
I wanna be able to drink coffee and chill with dogs in a cafe.
I hope you're talking about dogs just hanging out... otherwise I'm steering clear of the Korean BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
Cafe Lu, not going to happen you DON'T want to see my in a bikini!
You gotta rock that beach bod, bro. Chicks dig guys with confidence!

#sorrynotsorry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #64

open a business that caters to the republic of marijuana...

where you can toke up with snacks with friends and watch dumb ass shit like rick and morty on comfy ass couches lol
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 PM   #65

GT5 championship night...... well you did ask in an automotive forum..

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mining View Post
open a business that caters to the republic of marijuana...

where you can toke up with snacks with friends and watch dumb ass shit like rick and morty on comfy ass couches lol
Next trend will be a restaurant that makes all food with marijuana. You heard it here first!
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #67
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
@bcrdukes
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #68

hahaha.. that will go over well with my old school hong kong family in law's! lol!

Your saying I should have many tv's there? I was thinking of one or two, how many is good?
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #69
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Any plans to franchise the business out?

If you are going to open up a coffee shop, you'll have to think big... as in 5 or more company-owned, or 20+ franchised.

IMHO, a coffee shop's financials is similar to a convenience store, and it's a hard business.

Restaurants and coffee shops are among the hardest types of businesses to start.

If successful, it'll be a one shop thing (and like kr4l mentioned, he was working his butt off), so plan ahead and think about expanding right from the get-go.

Get a coffee-concept going that differentiates yourself from competitors and duplicate in the Lower Mainland with 10 to 20 stores.

There is where your 10+ industry experience comes in.

It's going to be risky by differentiating, but this is up to your risk-tolerance level.

The key is to manage (work smart, not hard), but you can't do this if you only have one shop, so there is where opening more than 1 shop comes into play.

You can use your previous experience (you mentioned in your first post) AND this successful (hopefully) new coffee shop (after 1 or 2 years of financials) to:

1- Get franchisees
2- Shop around for investors to invest in your corp. to open more coffee shops.

Good luck.

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 12-21-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #70
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Any plans to franchise the business out?

If you are going to open up a coffee shop, you'll have to think big... as in 5 or more company-owned, or 20+ franchised.

IMHO, a coffee shop's financials is similar to a convenience store, and it's a hard business.

Restaurants and coffee shops are among the hardest types of businesses to start.

If successful, it'll be a one shop thing (and like kr4l mentioned, he was working his butt off), so plan ahead and think about expanding right from the get-go.

Get a coffee-concept going that differentiates yourself from competitors and duplicate in the Lower Mainland with 10 to 20 stores.

There is where your 10+ industry experience comes in.

It's going to be risky by differentiating, but this is up to your risk-tolerance level.

The key is to manage (work smart, not hard), but you can't do this if you only have one shop, so there is where opening more than 1 shop comes into play.

You can use your previous experience (you mentioned in your first post) AND this successful (hopefully) new coffee shop (after 1 or 2 years of financials) to:

1- Get franchisees
2- Shop around for investors to invest in your corp. to open more coffee shops.

Good luck.
LOL 2 years of operations and then franchise??? Take it easy there dragon!
it's a coffee shop, not a tech venture with VC's angels and seed money.
everyone throws around scaling like it's motherhood and apple pie, but look what happened to Target. Now look at Nordstrom.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
LOL 2 years of operations and then franchise??? Take it easy there dragon!
it's a coffee shop, not a tech venture with VC's angels and seed money.
everyone throws around scaling like it's motherhood and apple pie, but look what happened to Target. Now look at Nordstrom.
Although the I agree with what you're saying to an extent, if you don't start your business with the mentality of opening more or franchising, it'll be very hard to make it happen later on. You should train your staff right off the bat like a franchise would, and have standard recipes, creating a brand etc etc. instead of implementing it when you decide it's time to franchise or grow. When your staff have been doing things one way, and you decide to change the way it's done to make it franchisable, it's actually very hard to implement that into your staff.

Also set goals for yourself. For example. When I opened my shop, after the experience I had with my first cafe and working like a dog, I said ok after 3 months I need to have everything standardized. After 6 months to be hands off. After 1 year, I need to expand to a second store. 2 years 3 stores. So far so good.

However, franchising a coffee establishment is damn near impossible with all the other easy accessible options available.

Failure rate for the food business is also close to 99%. Our old commercial real estate agent was like top 1% yadda yadda sales guy. Awards. All that jazz. Turns out, he keeps selling the same businesses over and over because they all fail and each year he would come visit me and ask if I was selling. I told him I was $xx and he straight up laughed in my face. I ended up finding a buyer on Craigslist for close to asking.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #72
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
i dont spend time in richmond these days, but somewhere comfortable.
the coffee house near my house has awesome coffee, decor, design, personality, etc.... but its not comfortable. the seats basically all suck and i never want to be there for more than 20 minutes.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i dont spend time in richmond these days, but somewhere comfortable.
the coffee house near my house has awesome coffee, decor, design, personality, etc.... but its not comfortable. the seats basically all suck and i never want to be there for more than 20 minutes.
its part of business. They probably want the turnover and make money. That's why they put shitty seats in there. So you won't stay longer than 20 minutes.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #74
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
^if i want to catch up with a friend id rather go to starbucks or waves. this place actually loses business from me despite them serving better coffee. not sure if thats really a winning strategy.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #75

I got some pretty pimp chairs actually, my bar stools on the other hand i'm sure will be replaced after a few months. I'm hoping they break, they are horrible!.. not my choice! I will only have 24 or so seat's so it's not the hugest place in the world.