REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
DIY using existing home alarm?

Hey guys, our house has an alarm system in it but it's currently not functional. Since all the hardware is there I assume there should be a way for my to make it functional but just use a cellular or internet connection to have it call or text me (or whoever is watching the house) should it go off instead of paying the alarm company the stupid amount that they want to do it.

Any direction would be great.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Going to depend on the systems. The alarms are all rather similar you are simply paying for them to be monitored.
You could buy the system they use that allows the unit to dial out to you in the event that the alarm is tripped, Honeywell is probably the cheapest units to look at for this but it will depend on the system you currently have.

You can get GSM diallers off ebay for $100ish you would just need a sim to put in there.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #3
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
what is making it non-functional? sensors not working? keypad broken? rats at the low voltage wiring? panel fried? I think if the wiring is all good you can reuse that and replace whatever hardware i would imagine???

or you can go with wireless security system...i just did a simple google search and this came up on amazon that seems to have good reviews

Amazon.com: Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System 8-piece Plus Package: Home Improvement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
i had the same issue. i asked the alarm company to re-activate it but not link it to the alarm company.
due to losing the master code, they found me an aftermarket mother board and i'm good to go. total was 150+ labor 50 and 100 for new battery.
sure beats installing a brand new unit for 800 etc.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

Sorry I should have been more clear, the system works it's just not currently powered up or monitored by anyone, to the best of my knowledge all the hardware is still functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Going to depend on the systems. The alarms are all rather similar you are simply paying for them to be monitored.
You could buy the system they use that allows the unit to dial out to you in the event that the alarm is tripped, Honeywell is probably the cheapest units to look at for this but it will depend on the system you currently have.

You can get GSM diallers off ebay for $100ish you would just need a sim to put in there.
Is there a way to get cheap plans for things like this in Canada? Around here it doesn't seem to be possible to get a super cheap plan.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 12-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The first thing for you to do is find a manual for the alarm panel, and see if it is password protected and cannot be reset. Most used alarm panel are locked with an Installer password by the monitoring company, and you cannot freely use and program them. It's kind of like a password protected and locked smartphone. If it's locked you will need a new PCB panel, but they could be as cheap as $75, but you may need new keypads that are compatible. After this there are too many possibilities for me to type out.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
If you've got a landline still, and the was previously monitored, it'd just be a matter of getting into the programming of the board to dial out to your phone, as mentioned above.,

I did this too, but I bought the panel new, so no issues with a locked board. If the alarm trips, it pages my cell with codes over the hard line. I looked into the cellular option, but in the end it wasn't cost effective for me.

I got broken into about 7 years ago, I was back to the house in 20 mins, but the thieves were long gone by then. I managed to convince 911 it was a verified break in, had cops there in 30 mins, which is crazy for a residential break in in Vancouver.

From the alarm logs the junkies were in and out in ~5 mins. The crowbar'd the siren indoors, and the alarm panels off the wall.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Sorry I should have been more clear, the system works it's just not currently powered up or monitored by anyone, to the best of my knowledge all the hardware is still functional.

Is there a way to get cheap plans for things like this in Canada? Around here it doesn't seem to be possible to get a super cheap plan.
Your best to call around. If you are simply wanting to have the system monitored and you already have something in place in your home it may be cheaper. I'm not sure what we pay but we had it installed about a year ago no through ADT with there mobile app and cameras and stuff. Good system for sure and decent price from what I remember.
I would call around to get a quote. Alarm Force and ADT are the biggest I believe.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #9

That's what I would have thought, except ADT (who put it in originally) wanted a stupid amount to monitor it, and because we don't have a landline also wanted a pile of money for a GSM box and subscription. I'll give some of their competition a call and see what they say.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
AlarmForce use all their own proprietary hardware, they won't monitor someone else's alarm.

ADT will probably want to lock you into a long-term contract before they'll do anything, and I've heard some horror stories of people trying to get out of or change the contracts.

Quote:
Most used alarm panel are locked with an Installer password by the monitoring company, and you cannot freely use and program them.
Most alarm installers are lazy slobs who can't be bothered to change the installer code

I've dealt with Accurate Alarms quite a bit, we have a couple local business clients that use them. They have a local monitoring center. No idea what their pricing is, but you can check with them.

There's also those "1-866-247-4999" guys that you hear their radio ads - "24/7 monitoring for $9.99/month". Might be worth checking out as well.

Basically all these guys do is program your alarm to dial them if it goes off, then when it does, they try to contact the site to verify if it's a false alarm, then call the cops. Some systems do a "heartbeat" thing where they'll dial in to check in with the monitoring station on a regular basis, and if the station doesn't get that call on schedule, they'll assume something is wrong... but that usually takes a dedicated phone line and I doubt you'd get that service with a $9.99 residential special. If you can get into the programming, you can change it to dial your cell instead.

What brand of alarm is it, anyway? The keypad may have a different brand name, but the main board should have the manufacturer name and model number on it. I've seen a lot of different brand names, but pretty much all I've dealt with are made by either Honeywell, DSC, or Paradox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

What brand do you currently have ?
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
OH, side note, i have a DSC and i have 2 panels, one lower floor by entrance / garage and another one at the master bedroom.

Can i get the chime to turn off for the ENTIRE panel. Want master bedroom panel to not chime at all. Not sure if that's ever possible. I know you can turn off entirely, but can we do it just for 1 panel is beyond me.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
OH, side note, i have a DSC and i have 2 panels, one lower floor by entrance / garage and another one at the master bedroom.

Can i get the chime to turn off for the ENTIRE panel. Want master bedroom panel to not chime at all. Not sure if that's ever possible. I know you can turn off entirely, but can we do it just for 1 panel is beyond me.
You should be able to enable/disable chime on a per-keypad basis... On Paradox alarms I think you press and hold 3. It should be listed in the User Manual for your alarm.
Quote:
Old 12-21-2015, 12:06 PM   #14

Here you go:
Quote: