REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i got spanked and beat as a child
looking back now, they were fair.
i got beat a few times but they were because of really stupid things where spanking wouldn't have sufficed..if my kid pulled the same shit i did when i got beat, i'd probably beat some sense into em too

i got spanked for minor things, never intense, but they always served as a good reminder

all the fucked up people i know now had really lenient parents who "grounded" them haha
Advertisement
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post

every asian family had one of these thing, and the description on the pic is completely accurate
parents would swing this shit hard enough to make a swooshing wing noise... fuck...
You must be one helluva delinquent if there's a grip mark on it.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoGO-15 View Post
I personally feel that if these laws keep up, we going to have a new generation of lots of gays and trans-gender kids in society from our own blood and those who aren't fond of those things. We are being too 'soft' now, where anything goes! Having morals and religious beliefs has to stand for something, even God used violence in the bible to prove his point & keep things right, to get his will accomplished. In other religions if you don't believe in the bible, its the same thing too. Can't see how 'talking' to anybody gets anything accomplished, even countries as a whole and nation don't use 'talk' as a mean of accomplishing anything! Why don't we just "talk" to ISIS then perhaps this will all end? NOT!
to be fair, being gay and transgender doesn't mean they are soft or pussies by any means.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

talking does nothing in terms of discipline to someone who is irrational. Kids are not rational like adults. They can't determine what is right or wrong by talking to them, you need some sort of hurt to tell them what they are doing brings bad things. A scolding does nothing to a kid.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #30
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
50% agree. You can't necessarily rationalize with a small child on the same level as an adult but scolding and punishments have an emotional effect that stick with them, just as spankings do. Its just that with spankings, there's a physical punishment that reinforces the emotional one.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #31

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
talking does nothing in terms of discipline to someone who is irrational. Kids are not rational like adults. They can't determine what is right or wrong by talking to them, you need some sort of hurt to tell them what they are doing brings bad things. A scolding does nothing to a kid.
I'm guessing you've never been a parent if physical pain's the only way that you think can get through to your child.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #32
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
my wife doesn't understand the need for spankings nor could i help her understand...so i just showed her this clip from kingdom of heaven...

so they remember it...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #33
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
my wife doesn't understand the need for spankings nor could i help her understand...so i just showed her this clip from kingdom of heaven...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zF6xmsrAVk

so they remember it...
^ look up "boxing in your ears", that's where this originates. More or less, when someone was knighted, the King/Lord would smash the new knight on both ears, usually wearing gauntlets, as this would be the last strike the knight would ever take without fighting to the death for their King/Lord.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Spanking law protects parents, teachers but not kids, profs say
Corporal punishment keeps kids from learning how to solve problems without violence, prof says

By Laura Fraser, CBC News Posted: Dec 24, 2015 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 24, 2015 5:00 AM ET

Spanking law protects parents, teachers but not kids, profs say - Canada - CBC News

The Liberal government could Canada's 123-year-old spanking law.

The possibility that the federal Liberals could strike down Canada's so-called "spanking law" came as joyful news to the woman who has spent more than two decades trying to dissolve the 123-year-old legislation.

"I was over the moon when I heard about this," Ailsa Watkinson told CBC News "There's so much more evidence now to show the harm from childhood physical punishment."

And she knows the effect of it herself. Both she and her twin brother received "a brutal strapping" that the social work professor has never forgotten.

So in 1995, the University of Regina professor used her masters thesis to launch a charter challenge of Section 43 of the Criminal Code.

Court challenge

Six of the nine Supreme Court of Canada judges voted to uphold the law when the case reached them in 2004.

But the ruling narrowed the scope of when parents can use "force by way of correction," laying out exactly what that punishment could look like. It also legally took away teachers' ability to use physical force, except to keep a student from harming themselves or someone else.

As the law stands now, parents cannot strike children with the intent to harm them, nor can they spank a child younger than two or older than 12.

Infants and toddlers could be physically hurt and likely would not see the connection between their actions and the spanking, while striking teenagers "can induce aggressive or antisocial behaviour," the 2004 Supreme Court of Canada ruling reads.

The judges also ruled that parents could not hit children with belts, rulers or other objects, nor slap them anywhere on the head.

Truth and Reconciliation Commission

Watkinson had renewed hoped that law would soon be struck down, after watching public and legal opinion change on physician-assisted suicide — and thanks to the recommendation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which was adopted by the Liberal government..

It's unclear whether the law will be struck down or whether Ottawa plans to amend it.

"At this point, we cannot speculate on potential legislative or policy approaches to address this issue," Department of Justice spokesman Ian McLeod said in an email.

Watkinson said there's no need to replace the law, because other sections of the Criminal Code protect adults who step in to keep a children from harming themselves or someone else. There's also the de minimis legal principle, which gives prosecutors the discretion not to proceed with charges in insignificant matters.

There's also mounting evidence to indicate that even mild forms of physical punishment — a slap or a light spanking — can have long-term effects on a child's emotional health and development, community health professor Joan Durrant said.

"Nobody is saying that if you're spanked, you're going to be violent," Durrant said. "But what it does mean is that the more often you're spanked the fewer opportunities you have to learn a way of dealing with conflict that doesn't involve aggression," she said.

"The more times a child is hit, the stronger that relationship becomes."

Nearly 50 countries have reflected that by abolishing physical punishment; Canadian law needs to do the same, clinical psychologists say.

Numerous studies have found that children will then try to solve their own problems by using violence throughout their lives, whether that's fighting with siblings, bullying or having a tendancy to an increased chance of intimate violence, the University of Manitoba professor said.

Much of Durrant's research has focused on Sweden, which prohibited corporal punishment in 1979. She would like to see Canada follow that example — not simply to repeal the law, but to prohibit any sort of physical reprimand.

Protection for teachers

Teachers also fall under the protection of the spanking law, although they are not allowed to punish a child in any physical way, according to the 2004 Supreme Court ruling.

They can, however, step in if a child might hurt themselves, a teacher or a student.

And the president of the Canadian Teachers Federation said it's essential that any changes to Section 43 would include those same protections for education workers.

Without that, a teacher could theoretically face criminal charges for restraining a child who tries to run across the road or tries to strike another student, Heather Smith.

"We don't endorse corporal punishment, whatsoever," she said. "It's just physical intervention — and teachers use every tool in their toolbox before intervening physically."
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #35
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
If a parent has to resort to constant beatings or severe beating of their child, somewhere along the line things went bad and it's usually the parents' inability to be a good parent. Kids do understand after a certain age - very young kids, however, need a swift spank. After a certain age, you've lost control if you still have to resort to hitting them. If they are taught right from wrong early on and it's reinforced, there should be no issues later on.

wAnder why we have so many messed up, violent people? Abuse. And, it's easy for people in authority to abuse others. When schools allowed corporal punishment, some principals enjoyed making kids cry. You could see it in their eyes as they strapped kids.

It's easy for us to say, yeah, I was beat when I was a kid, but I deserved it. And, look how I turned out (a joke can be inserted here). I've heard women who are abused say that, too. He really loves me, it was my fault, I deserved it............... really?

I remember one instance when I was about to smack my kid (in the act of........ scarier than the actual hit) one of my kids yelled out, "People are not for hitting!" I replied with, "Yeah, if you start behaving like one!" That sunk in a bit. Thankfully, my child had some common sense and comprehended that one.

Kids learn from others. By this I mean their friends. If your kid hangs out with troubled kids, yours will most likely turn out to be just like them. My wife and I always worried about the kind of friends my children hung out with. Funny thing was, most of them were great kids. They say birds of a feather stick together. One of my eldest son's friend who came over almost every day, broke stuff on this huge-ass playground I built for the kids. Kid did it on purpose and the damage was more than a few broken pieces. Without me saying or doing anything, my son stopped inviting him over. We learned later on that the parents of the kid were going through a nasty divorce.

Invest in your kids. Parenting is not easy. It's not like changing oil or fixing your car.

Anyway...................... my days of parenting are long over. Now they get to look after me, LOL.

EDIT: One way or another, let them know you love them and care. No hugs necessary (Asian fathers take note).
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
The problem is a lot of people are lazy fucks who take the easy way out. It's a lot easier to just smack the kid without bothering to explain to them why they shouldn't be doing what they're doing. Obviously there are some kids that are little hellions that it won't get through to and may need a little smack to stop misbehaving, but if that's your first response then I'm sorry but you're just fucking lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
Kids are a lot smarter than you seem to think they are.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
The government is trying to police how you raise your kids these days, and personally I think that is WRONG.

I can agree that this is a good step to condone parents that beat their child, but there is a time that talking to kids does not work. Kids will learn how to manipulate their parents and this turns into: useless parents and shitty spoiled brats.

If this wasn't bad enough, they are trying to tell parents that you can't leave a kid at home before they reach a certain age (IIRC it was 10 or 12). Yet if you bring your kid up right, they should be able to take care of themselves OR have the knowledge instilled in them on what to do if something happens. (Call parents/neighbour/etc)

Society here is getting ridiculous, and it's turning into a shitshow to the point where I don't want kids. Only for the fact that I cannot do so many things to bring them up right. I'm not negotiating with a 3 year old because he drew all over the fucking walls, the kids going to get a spanking because he's not going to get the point of the punishment otherwise.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
MG1 said it best, be involved with your kids and know who they are hanging around. I had an issue in the summer with my child starting to hang around with some kids with no boundaries. 9 year old kids who were able to travel 4 km's away to a skate park with no supervision, stay out until 11 at night, 9 years old? Not getting up until 1:00 in the afternoon and these kids would also hang around other kids 3 or 5 years older then them. Fuck that noise, I explained to my son that he didn't need to hang around with these kids that there were so many other kids he could hang with that were more like him into sports and doing things he enjoys.

I'm not saying these kids he was hanging around with were necessarily bad kids at least not yet but I don't want my kid hanging around other kids with no boundaries and shitty parents. He no longer hangs around them which is great, I keep him involved in so many sports he really doesn't have time for much else besides school and sports. This time of year is actually the worst because between Nov-Jan he's in between sports.

You don't need to hit your kids to discipline them, I have smacked my son one time that I remember and he remembers it as well. Other then that my stern voice is enough to get him to fall into line if he steps out of it.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 02:39 AM   #39
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
There's a difference between "spanking" and "beating". And I feel like a lot of you guys are combining the two, very different, forms of physical discipline. I personally see "spanking" as a slap to the rear end when a kid is acting up. And "beating" as using fists, tools (feather duster, slippers, belt, etc.) in a way that would likely hurt a normal adult.

My dad used to beat me when I was younger, would I ever do that to my own kids in the future? Hell no. My dad used to beat me for relatively small things, or when he got super upset with me and couldn't express himself with words. And honestly, I don't think I really learned anything, just learned how to hide my fuck-ups better the next time around. And to lie to my dad, fear him, and generally let him know nothing about what was going on in my life. Basically led to me giving him one-word answers for the majority of my high-school life. Obviously, things are different now that we are both adults, but the way he "disciplined" me (going straight to yelling and beating) has taught me a lot about how I will (not) treat my kid in the future.

Personally, I would spank my kid if they ever did anything really stupid and talking/reasoning with them didn't work out. Hard to make general rules about how to treat kids, some kids are straight up little angels and some are little hellbeasts who really do need a spanking from time to time in order for them to actually smarten up.

IMO the government shouldn't dictate how parents should parent, kinda a slippery slope already. What next, you can't scold kids or yell at them when they screw up? Anyone can argue that emotional/psychological "abuse" is just as bad as physical "abuse". There are already enough parents out there who are so afraid to discipline their kids that they turn into spoiled little shits with zero respect for anyone..
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #40
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Man, I just spanked my 1.67 yr old after reading this thread for using his nails to scrape my leather seats. Does not feel good at all...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #41

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I feel like physical force is actually less traumatic than any form of mental punishment. (Assuming the parent isn't just outright "beating" their child)

After they outlaw physical force, parents will resort to more mental punishment, the use of which will probably result in a brand new list of social issues (IE: Sit in corner looking at the wall, seclusion, etc). Fast forward a generation and the use of mental punishment will also be under severe scrutiny. I would imagine the end result will be a very limited and non effective method of "gov approved discipline"

Mehh, that's how I see it anyway.

Best method of "punishment" IMO is to simply force your kids to do something they don't want to do in lieu of something they do want to do.

IE: They want to watch TV, nope you have to pull weeds, wash dishes, etc. Even if they do a shitty job and you have to do it again after, they still associate the bad behaviour to an experience they don't want to repeat.

Mind you I don't have any kids, but I do have a sweet ITR, so I feel like that gives me the right to an opinion.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #42
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
back in the days, bullets and war hurt. now in 2015, words hurt.

the weak will inherit the earth, pls stop.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
back in the days, bullets and war hurt. now in 2015, words hurt.

the weak will inherit the earth, pls stop.
Nobody ever fought in a war thinking, "sweet, I'm a real man now! I hope my kids will one day do the same thing so they can be tough too".

As someone who has veterans in his family, I am sure that every single one of those men and women went to war hoping that their children, past, present, or future, would never have to do the same.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #44
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Little slap around as a negative reinforcement is ok. Government is in no place to legislate this and I doubt it would ever pass as law. The TRC should knows better.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #45

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Little slap around as a negative reinforcement is ok. Government is in no place to legislate this and I doubt it would ever pass as law. The TRC should knows better.
Every time I have a idiot customer I am going to slap them and see how that works. Like the old lady that spends 40 to 70 bux a day on lotto. Including today.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #46
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
Nobody ever fought in a war thinking, "sweet, I'm a real man now! I hope my kids will one day do the same thing so they can be tough too".

As someone who has veterans in his family, I am sure that every single one of those men and women went to war hoping that their children, past, present, or future, would never have to do the same.

I don't think he was referring more towards the war part but actually the generation of kids having a fucked up mentality.

Remember the yale thing that happened? This chick named Jerelyn wanted halloween costumes to be censored. The professor and his wife didn't want to because they believe in free speech / they also believe one person shouldn't decide what offends things for everyone else. So the Professor and Jerelyn have a debate/yelling match in the video. Apparently since certain halloween costumes offended her, she didn't care about anyone elses opinion besides her own.

Kids these days are going up to be so entitled, their feelings get hurt when faced with a logical argument. It's pretty fucked up. I was cringing really hard
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Kids these days are a bunch of crybullies who could use a beating and a slap across the face.

If ts14's parents beat him as a child, he would not have dun goofed. (Half-serious)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #48
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Chick needs to get laid.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Kids these days are going up to be so entitled, their feelings get hurt when faced with a logical argument. It's pretty fucked up. I was cringing really hard
Off-topic, but I believe you're 100% correct... I can't stand so many people in "my generation" because they walk around thinking they they have some kind of right to not be offended. On top of that, they get offended over EVERYTHING. News flash, certain people are going to do things that you may not like. Ignore them and be on your way. Can't stand when people get so bent out of shape over something so minor try to enforce their closed-minded beliefs on everyone else because they were "offended". Pretty soon, we're going to have a society of drones who are too afraid to say/do anything because they don't want to offend anyone...
Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #50

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
If you guys think "kids these days" or "my generation" are any different from every other generation that came before and every other generation that will come after you're delusional. It's easier to see them now that every idiot has their face on YouTube but I'm pretty confident there were just as many whiny knobs back in the day ass there are now.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote