REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Buying my first car

hey guys,
can you please walk me through the process. I've already selected a car (from craigslist). I've met up with the guy, test drove it and everything. I paid him a deposit and I want to drive away with the car sometime soon LOL

The guy doesn't speak english very well so communicating with him is tough. My parents say I go to ICBC to get license plates and insurance and then pay the guy and drive off with it. Someone else told me the guy has to give me this form which I take to ICBC, and then come back with the license plates. the guy doesn't speak much english - and I don't think he knows the process either.

Can someone please help me out. Thanks!
Advertisement
chickenugget69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Since this is your first time buying a car you two should both go to an autoplan agent together and have them help you out with the process. Should take about 15 min to fill out the paper work and choose the type of insurance coverage that you want.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Okay, well, first of all, giving a guy a deposit is something I would advise against in the future, especially if there was no paperwork signed.

Yes, you have to fill out a registration transfer form. Both parties need to fill it out. The previous owner will also need to fill out the section at the bottom of his vehicle registration.

I advise doing the whole thing at the insurance broker. They can help you through the process and if there's an issue with the registration (vehicle can't be insured, for example), you won't be left holding the bag.

You should pay using a bank draft or certified cheque. Do not use cash.

For a used vehicle, definitely do the following:
- research your purchase. What are common problems with the car you're looking at? Learn what signs to look for.
- research the seller. Are multiple listing linked to that user or phone number? Curbers are out there.
- price comparisons. Is the vehicle you're looking at priced abnormally? If so, why? If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
- have the vehicle inspected by a 3rd party mechanic before purchase. Don't want to drop thousands on a lemon.

And don't hand over money until the car is to your satisfaction. Once you sign the paperwork and hand over the money, it's your problem. Until then, the balance of power is in your favour. Get the tank filled, get them to wash it (if it isn't already), get them to fix little things to your satisfaction.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Buy a used vehicle
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
rpm

carproof with lien search is A MUST
rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
This is from my 2012 Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide. For some reason, the 2015 issue doesn't have it, but basically outlines the same information (just without the convenience of a printout with check boxes).
Attached Images
File Type: png Consumer Reports - Used Car Checklist.png (208.4 KB, 0 views)
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenugget69 View Post
hey guys,
can you please walk me through the process. I've already selected a car (from craigslist). I've met up with the guy, test drove it and everything. I paid him a deposit and I want to drive away with the car sometime soon LOL

The guy doesn't speak english very well so communicating with him is tough. My parents say I go to ICBC to get license plates and insurance and then pay the guy and drive off with it. Someone else told me the guy has to give me this form which I take to ICBC, and then come back with the license plates. the guy doesn't speak much english - and I don't think he knows the process either.

Can someone please help me out. Thanks!
i'm not reading the part where you had this car mechanically inspected...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote