REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 AM   #151
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
could you imagine if you slept with parts of your limbs hanging off the side of the bed? bye bye arm & a leg

Surrey RCMP

Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 AM   #152
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Was watching Star Wars when the earthquake hit. I was like I don't recall there being d-box seats in the UltraAVX theatre, damn the force really has awakened
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:01 AM   #153
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
but if your mattress is ontop of the supplies how would you have access to it? there doesnt seem to be much room to move around with the mattress inside
Old 12-30-2015, 02:08 AM   #154
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
As ntan already mentioned, energy on quakes is exponential from one level to another.

link

The idea that small quakes releases the likelihood from big one is more of a urban myth than an actual fact.

If anything, this could be a warm-up to a larger quake based on history of major quakes.
Which of those statements pertains to what we were talking about?

Also I don't see what the scale of measurement has to do with it either. Logarithmic or not, the idea of relieving pressure that is building up still makes sense [whether it's true or not, the scale itself is irrelevant]
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #155
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Which of those statements pertains to what we were talking about?

Also I don't see what the scale of measurement has to do with it either. Logarithmic or not, the idea of relieving pressure that is building up still makes sense [whether it's true or not, the scale itself is irrelevant]
"FICTION: You can prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by 「lubricating」 the fault with water.

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are about 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, OR 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are far too few to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

As for 「lubricating」 faults with water or some other substance, if anything, this would have the opposite effect. Injecting high-pressure fluids deep into the ground is known to be able to trigger earthquakes—to cause them to occur sooner than would have been the case without the injection. This would be a dangerous pursuit in any populated area, as one might trigger a damaging earthquake."

Basically it requires way too many small quakes to release the pressure of a big one (should the big one be preparing to happen). So, smaller earthquakes, although helps from a simple physic perspective (reducing pressure), it's not enough to stop a big one to become a moderate one.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:43 AM   #156
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Thought someone was pushing the chair I was on. Looked back no one was there. I thought I was just baked lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 AM   #157
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
I could have used that...
I went to bed early and missed out !
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #158
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
In PoCo. Strong enough to wake me up.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #159
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
House shook violently here in Victoria. Pretty intense!
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 AM   #160

I didn't feel anything, as I was sleeping. How scary is that.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #161
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts

Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #162
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Dang. Time to buy earthquake insurance
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #163
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
lol at first i thought it was the cat pawing at the door
then the bed shook and i finally realized

i shud really finish putting together a kit...or just get a gun
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #164
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Good reminder to have people check their survival kits and rotate out anything that may be close to expiring or need replacing. Glad I have one in my car already, though it's designed more for winter breakdowns in the middle of nowhere than a proper multi-day disaster kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Glad to see that all those drills I did in elementary school / high school totally didn't pay off.

I just sat in my room thinking "Wtf was that? Did someone run their car into my house?"
No kidding. We had an earthquake up here in Kamloops a couple weeks back. I simply sat on my chair, wondering wtf was happening. Chances are if a strong enough earthquake hit me up here, as my house is on the side of a mountain, it's just gonna go for a ride to the bottom due to the inevitable landslide. No point hiding under a desk or table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I can only imagine like a 8.8 hit us and everyone scrambling to their computers to type "zomg do you feel that?" on RS
There was a guy in Japan who was live posting on RS after the earthquake there. Can't remember his name, but all the while I found it slightly amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
If the epicentre was indeed in Victoria area, like this one, I doubt there would be a huge tsunami. Just by the way the island(s) and inlets are situated. If it were off the coast a bit further out, then that'd be a different story.

Also, it all depends on what type of shit is underneath us (sand, silt, soil, bedrock, etc.). I would imagine a lot of sinking and breaking apart more than damage from a tsunami. I should have paid more attention in Earth Science classes.

Not my "fault", chick next to me was hot!
Yup. Vancouver Island and the rest should (theoretically, at least) shield the mainland from any massive tsunami buildup. Doesn't necessarily mean there wont be any rush of water hitting our coast, but it shouldn't be as bad as the ones you hear about on the news. That said, what's good for the Coast isn't necessarily bad for the islanders...

I'm also genuinely curious how Richmond would hold up in a full blown earthquake. I don't mean the residents, since I know exactly how they'll react. No, I mean the land itself as it's not particularly stable.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #165
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I'm also genuinely curious how Richmond would hold up in a full blown earthquake. I don't mean the residents, since I know exactly how they'll react. No, I mean the land itself as it's not particularly stable.
Isn't Richmond technically under the water level and the dikes keep the water out? Wouldn't it just....flood?
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #166
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
"FICTION: You can prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by 「lubricating」 the fault with water.

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are about 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, OR 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are far too few to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

As for 「lubricating」 faults with water or some other substance, if anything, this would have the opposite effect. Injecting high-pressure fluids deep into the ground is known to be able to trigger earthquakes—to cause them to occur sooner than would have been the case without the injection. This would be a dangerous pursuit in any populated area, as one might trigger a damaging earthquake."

Basically it requires way too many small quakes to release the pressure of a big one (should the big one be preparing to happen). So, smaller earthquakes, although helps from a simple physic perspective (reducing pressure), it's not enough to stop a big one to become a moderate one.
Not saying it can prevent large earthquakes indefinitely, only delay them/make them smaller

Meh like I said I'm not sure, it just makes sense to me physics-wise.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #167
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I didn't feel shit in whistler. I guess that's a good thing.
What I want to know is, what magnitude will it take for Richmond to break off and fall into the ocean?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #168
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Isn't Richmond technically under the water level and the dikes keep the water out? Wouldn't it just....flood?
I think the dikes are high enough to withstand any inrush of water that may try to invade. What I'm thinking is that because the ground is basically silt and sand, what sort of liquefaction will occur. That sort of soil is good for absorbing high frequency vibrations, but it also amplifies and extends the length of other vibrations.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #169
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I didn't feel shit in whistler. I guess that's a good thing.
What I want to know is, what magnitude will it take for Richmond to break off and fall into the ocean?
I'll settle for the bridges to and from Richmond simply becoming damaged enough to be unusable.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #170

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
There also is no proper structure to the ground there. So soil liquefaction is the big issue. It's been tested a thousand times on the shake table (unrelated to the milking table), Richmond will pretty well cease to exist after any size able earthquake event. The buildings will sink into the ground, there is no way to build. Earthquake proof anything there, short of building you house on a fucking raft or something.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #171
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Good reminder to have people check their survival kits and rotate out anything that may be close to expiring or need replacing. Glad I have one in my car already, though it's designed more for winter breakdowns in the middle of nowhere than a proper multi-day disaster kit.

No kidding. We had an earthquake up here in Kamloops a couple weeks back. I simply sat on my chair, wondering wtf was happening. Chances are if a strong enough earthquake hit me up here, as my house is on the side of a mountain, it's just gonna go for a ride to the bottom due to the inevitable landslide. No point hiding under a desk or table.

There was a guy in Japan who was live posting on RS after the earthquake there. Can't remember his name, but all the while I found it slightly amusing.

Yup. Vancouver Island and the rest should (theoretically, at least) shield the mainland from any massive tsunami buildup. Doesn't necessarily mean there wont be any rush of water hitting our coast, but it shouldn't be as bad as the ones you hear about on the news. That said, what's good for the Coast isn't necessarily bad for the islanders...

i believe his username was chun

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #172
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:

People unaware of fracking? lol

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #173
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geo...s/GM2010-3.pdf

When they build the Massey tunnel bridge

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Was watching Star Wars when the earthquake hit. I was like I don't recall there being d-box seats in the UltraAVX theatre, damn the force really has awakened
Exact same thing happened to me. Posted in previous page.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #175
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
There also is no proper structure to the ground there. So soil liquefaction is the big issue. It's been tested a thousand times on the shake table (unrelated to the milking table), Richmond will pretty well cease to exist after any size able earthquake event. The buildings will sink into the ground, there is no way to build. Earthquake proof anything there, short of building you house on a fucking raft or something.
i've always thought it would sink due to liquefaction. if richmond will sink due to extreme liquefaction, is the city of richmond allowed to say that it will not due to the infrastructure in place? just curious b/c it's on their website

City of Richmond BC - Earthquakes & Richmond

or is it a matter of it's true unless proven otherwise

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote