REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 12-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
I don't get it

Anyone worked Car sales before?

Deciding if i should start a career in car sales at a dealership like toyota, hyundai or Honda. Friend works at one right now and can refer me in but its in Surrey. Thought itd be a better career financial wise than my desk job. I am fluent in english/canto , but only a little mandarin. I already know of the long hours, more customers that are just test pilots and not serious in buying, takes years to develop referrals. Just seeing if theres other insights here before I make the switch.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
It really depends on your personality and location.
Where I am its cut throat in sales (Toyota) but other places its not like that. However, working with a cheaper make means less $$ in your pocket per sale and each dealer seems to approach this differently.

IMO, unless you are great at kissing ass and trying to be very persuasive yet subtle at it, its not a great gig.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Do you like long hours and not having days off? do you like people wasting your time? then this is the perfect job for you. It was the worst job I've ever had. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Try real estate if you're interested in a sales position.
SRTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
You can have a great job as a car salesperson. There aren't many of these, though.

From my observations working in every job aside from sales in the car industry, it just takes a lot of great communications skills and patience to work your way up.

It's almost never pretty at the beginning, but at least try to start at a branded dealer to network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Someone needs to come up with a brokerage for car sales. Like mortgage broker but Car Purchase broker.

OP maybe you can run with this... approach a car dealer n offer to sell cars. Advertise yourself. You only get paid if you can get the car! Negotiate a per car fee with the dealer.

My cut is 1% of gross fees

#youhearditherefirst.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
^ Does that ever work? Selling cars always intrigued me and I feel like it is a now or never thing as I am still living at home. I am a student also but I can commit to working 4 or 5 days a week and I can spend most time at the dealership to hopefully meet potential customers. Could I be offered a position and only be paid when I make a sale?
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
^ Does that ever work? Selling cars always intrigued me and I feel like it is a now or never thing as I am still living at home. I am a student also but I can commit to working 4 or 5 days a week and I can spend most time at the dealership to hopefully meet potential customers. Could I be offered a position and only be paid when I make a sale?
Go approach a dealership and find out.
They have nothing to lose.
You have nothing to lose.
Your customers get a better deal than walking into a dealership by themselves. Everyone wins!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Do car sellers get paid hourly as well? If they do, it's not that bad of a job since you'll be standing around doing nothing when it's not busy.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
At the dealer I used to work at years ago, the sales guys were guaranteed a base pay. To make anything beyond that, their commissions for the month would have to be greater than the agreed upon amount. For example, guaranteed pay of $2000 monthly. If they sold 3 cars that month and could only make $1600 in commission, they would still be paid $2000. Once their monthly sales hit the $2000 mark, the sky's the limit.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Do car sellers get paid hourly as well? If they do, it's not that bad of a job since you'll be standing around doing nothing when it's not busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
At the dealer I used to work at years ago, the sales guys were guaranteed a base pay. To make anything beyond that, their commissions for the month would have to be greater than the agreed upon amount. For example, guaranteed pay of $2000 monthly. If they sold 3 cars that month and could only make $1600 in commission, they would still be paid $2000. Once their monthly sales hit the $2000 mark, the sky's the limit.
The BC Employment Standards Act guarantees an employee minimum wage even IF an employee is commission based. There are some specific exclusions for car sales/commissioned sales, though: https://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/igm...m-esa-s-16.htm
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
It really depends on your personality and location.
Where I am its cut throat in sales (Toyota) but other places its not like that. However, working with a cheaper make means less $$ in your pocket per sale and each dealer seems to approach this differently.

IMO, unless you are great at kissing ass and trying to be very persuasive yet subtle at it, its not a great gig.
My favorite salesman to deal with, someone who leaves me alone unless I have a question, answers questions only when I ask them, doesn't inject any information I have not asked for and gives me a card well not trying to solicit my information. It's one of those don't call me I'll call you deals with me.

I'll go home, do some research and if I'm interested in the vehicle I'll call back and negotiate over the phone. I've done this with the last car, 2 trucks and motorcycles I've purchased. I can't stand pushy salesman or someone kissing my ass and telling me what I want to hear it comes off so fake.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote