REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Built-in navigation worth the extra cost?

Aftermarket Double din decks have come a long way where nowadays you can hook up your phone (apple or android) and have full control over many things through the deck such as calling, music, navigation.

Almost everyone has a data plan on their phone, so they could just use that for navigation, so does that make buying a deck with built-in navi pointless? One pro I can think of for built-in navigation would be when you're in the states and don't have data; however, the problem is that the built-in navi maps may be outdated and aren't free to update.

Taking these 2 decks for example, essentially the same thing with built in navi being the difference. MSRP of $1400 vs $900.
AVIC-7100NEX - <b>NEW!</b> - In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7? WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer of Canada - English
AVH-4100NEX - <b>NEW!</b> - 2-DIN Flagship Multimedia DVD Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer of Canada - English

Is the extra $500 worth it? An aftermarket navigation that sticks to your windshield can be had for cheaper and free lifetime map updates are common.
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Depends 100% on the car, and how cheap you are and what 'packages' it comes with

On my focus st, it comes with a tiny 3" or so screen in the dash that looks aweful, or for the extra money you get the 8" or so nav screen, and upgraded Sony sound system
Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
On the Infiniti QX60 the base comes with a non-touch screen that does not have nav. It looks like the one from a 10 year old G35. The one in the base looks kind of like an aftermarket deck since it needs a bezel to fit where as the other screen fits flush, has nav and looks like it was designed for the car originally.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with the screen in the base but after seeing and using the other unit I would be hard pressed to buy one with the "base" screen if I were to buy one. I am unsure of the price difference between the trims and I am sure it's a significant enough difference for some people to choose the base, some people who are not tech savvy may not even want the other screen at all. IIRC the better screen comes in every trim but the base.

At least Infiniti made use of the buttons that would be left blank without the better screen, instead of leaving them blank.
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
I think OP is trying to compare 2 aftermarket decks, one with navigation and one without. Not deciding whether or not to get the Navigation system from factory.

Like you mentioned I think if you go on road trips etc where your data plan will be outside your zone then it would be worth getting the built in nav instead of spending however much on roaming data.

Its its pure city then phones probably easier than any aftermarket nav. Most roads havent changed that much over years, Im still using a 2012 nav DVD and its doing fine. You dont need to update every year.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I have the 4000nex, I use nav on my phone and when I'm in the states I still use nav on my phone cause t-mobile data is so cheap anyways. I didn't see the 7000 was worth it, the maps are generally out of date anyways.

I'm using it with apple's car play works pretty well tho the interface from time to time can be a bit sluggish.

One side note that I liked but my friend hates is when using CarPlay you are not able to access the phone and do other stuff like whatsapp etc. which is great cause no distracted driving and what not. But my friend that doesn't care about the laws all that much hates that function about it.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
I think OP is trying to compare 2 aftermarket decks, one with navigation and one without. Not deciding whether or not to get the Navigation system from factory.

Like you mentioned I think if you go on road trips etc where your data plan will be outside your zone then it would be worth getting the built in nav instead of spending however much on roaming data.

Its its pure city then phones probably easier than any aftermarket nav. Most roads havent changed that much over years, Im still using a 2012 nav DVD and its doing fine. You dont need to update every year.
Thanks for helping others clarify that I'm talking about aftermarket and not factory navigation.

I've dealt with outdated factory navi's so not being able to have free up-to-date maps leaves a sour taste. For example, a 2010 honda with its original navigation dvd's couldn't direct me to a neighborhood over by the patullo on the new west side. The roads there were uncharted. I also have a tomtom that sticks to the windshield with free lifetime maps which I use when I'm in the states. The tomtom hasn't let me down yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
I have the 4000nex, I use nav on my phone and when I'm in the states I still use nav on my phone cause t-mobile data is so cheap anyways. I didn't see the 7000 was worth it, the maps are generally out of date anyways.

I'm using it with apple's car play works pretty well tho the interface from time to time can be a bit sluggish.

One side note that I liked but my friend hates is when using CarPlay you are not able to access the phone and do other stuff like whatsapp etc. which is great cause no distracted driving and what not. But my friend that doesn't care about the laws all that much hates that function about it.
Now that you've been using the 4000nex for a while, any regrets on not getting the one with built-in navi instead?

You might want to update to the 2016 version, I think they've added the ability to pair 2 phones at the same time. Ie your fiancé can play her music and you can answer your phone calls
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
RS Licensed Vendor

Pros of using your phone:
-Always current mapping software
-Cheaper cost

Cons of using your phone:
-Smaller screen
-Risk of getting fined for using a handheld device
-Doesn't mute your speakers
-Always need a data connection
-Expensive to use outside of normal coverage areas

Best solution for without breaking the bank is to get a Apple CarPlay or Android Auto unit. (ie. DDX9702S | Navigation and Multimedia | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA)

I had MAJOR issue while travelling in LA. I normally bring a portable GPS, but got a Roaming plan and figured I could use my phone to get around. Holy crap their reception in LA is horrible. I often got lost because there were so many dead spots through out the city and missed many exits. This caused me HOURS of delays.

I still suggest going with a built in system if you're planning on travelling with the vehicle or if you're one of those people always bouncing around (ie. Real Estate Broker). Locally you can get by with your phone usually if you're kind of familiar your area.

Pro's with built in system:
-Bigger screen = easier typing
-No risk of fines
-Mutes music to give you directions
-Can use anywhere in North America with no roaming costs
-Usually get additional features in the unit (ie. Bluetooth, USB, Touch screen, Ipod, Video Playback, etc)

Cons:
-Often need to buy updates ($40-80 for aftermarket/hundreds for OEM)
-Expensive overall

So it really comes down to what's important and how often you plan on using your navigation. Myself I travel to and from the shop, and occasionally go out. So I just use my phone for navigation if I really need to. The OEM one I have is too slow and not touch screen. I would only really use it for going out of Province. If I was a real estate agent or someone that's always driving I would get a fix unit.

Just my take on it
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 01-06-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Thanks for helping others clarify that I'm talking about aftermarket and not factory navigation.

I've dealt with outdated factory navi's so not being able to have free up-to-date maps leaves a sour taste. For example, a 2010 honda with its original navigation dvd's couldn't direct me to a neighborhood over by the patullo on the new west side. The roads there were uncharted. I also have a tomtom that sticks to the windshield with free lifetime maps which I use when I'm in the states. The tomtom hasn't let me down yet.

Now that you've been using the 4000nex for a while, any regrets on not getting the one with built-in navi instead?

You might want to update to the 2016 version, I think they've added the ability to pair 2 phones at the same time. Ie your fiancé can play her music and you can answer your phone calls
so far so good, I don't find another adding another bt device is needed for me. But the 2016 has android auto which is kinda cool
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
you can get offline maps for for your phone, so i dont konw why people keep bringing that up.

if your phone is mounted you should not be at risk of getting a ticket.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Cons of using your phone:
-Doesn't mute your speakers
-Always need a data connection
-Expensive to use outside of normal coverage areas
If you connect your phone using an aux in or bluetooth it'll mute your music when it gives you directions. You don't always need data as you can preload maps and use them offline or you can connect to wifi, load a route and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
I had MAJOR issue while travelling in LA. I normally bring a portable GPS, but got a Roaming plan and figured I could use my phone to get around. Holy crap their reception in LA is horrible. I often got lost because there were so many dead spots through out the city and missed many exits. This caused me HOURS of delays.
That sounds like a problem caused by a poor GPS signal, not a cellular issue, so you'd have the same problem with any device.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

My Opinion, If both is perfectly compatiable. I'd get the more expensive one, just cuz its a longer investment and through time you'll enjoy it alot more..

Just FYI i did not read any of your postings..

And dont use ur phone for maps. Another reason of getting this more expensive one is for the luxury of it!
yongliao is offline   Reply With Quote