REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Home networking help

Guys, need a little pointer to figure out how to do this. Trying to get internet network to all corners of the new place.

ISP is shaw, the modern/router from shaw is upstair in a room inside the panel box. There are couple hard line ethernet running out from shaw's box to various wall outlet throughout the place.

Downstair gets almost no wifi signal from the box upstair. My original plan was to get a ethernet to wifi range extender to extend the wifi network. On my trip to memory express i was informed that no product can convert ethernet to wifi. All the wifi extender only provide a ethernet out. So I was advice to buy a router and try and bridge the connections.

So now I have a router setup downstair, ethernet connection from the wall is connect to lan port 1 and the router has a different assign ip than the one upstair. Everything else connected to the downstair router can access interenet but now i have 2 different wifi network, one that accessible upstair (shaw's box) and one that is accessible downstair (from the router i brought)

I would like to install some IP camera (via wifi) in a couple room downstair to add to the professionally installed surveillance system that is already hardwire to the shaw box upstair. Thus I would like to bridge the two wifi network together into one single network.

I cannot figure out how to do this, is bridging router firmware dependant? How do i go about doing this?
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

When you say one single network, what you want is for ie a computer connected to wifi1 to be able to communicate with a computer connected to wifi2, is that correct?

If I understand your connection correctly, you have, Shaw (lan) <-> basement router (lan), right?

If that's the case, once you disable DHCP on your basement router, then your Shaw router would be the only one handing out the IPs, and your two network should be connected together.

I hope this was what you were looking for.
banana200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
yes that what i mean. I already disable to dhcp. does that mean that computer on the two different wifi network actually can communicate to each other despite being on two different wifi network?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Got MOD?

As banana200 says; On your wireless router downstairs you need to set it to AP (Access Point) mode. Then they will all be on the same network as all the IP's will be from the Shaw router/modem.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
or u can... u know... run pfSense... with a 24 port router... and all the wifi extenders u need... i hear its the best fking shit out there for all of internet!

ps: what shaw modem/router do u have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Powerline from upstairs to downstairs and set up another router there? I do that for my room, but I never bothered to check if the computers can access each other.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Wouldn't make sense to use powerline if the house has existing UTP wire throughout the house. How you've set it up now seems correct. You just need to reconfigure the downstairs router settings to act as an AP as someone else said. Then if you're adding IP cameras, those can be connected to the downstairs router. Keep in mind though that nearly all hi def ip cameras use quite a bit of bandwidth so you'll need a strong network to handle the extra load.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #8
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Just as long as the two networks on the same subnet, they should communicate with each other fine. For example, 192.168.1.34 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 will be able to talk to 192.168.1.56 subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you already disabled DHCP on the second router, then you're OK. Another step I would take is to disable the firewall and NAT on the second router.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
you might need to power cycle the router downstairs and reset the computers. what you did is correct. Turn off the dhcp.

You will have 2 different wireless name but both should be able to talk to each other if everything is setup correctly.

or if you only need wireless downstairs, i would suggest using ubiquiti devices as they are extremely easy to setup since your house is already wired with cable
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote