REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2016, 05:04 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
FerrariEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Posts: 7,658
Thanked 2,352 Times in 949 Posts
Corus Entertainment acquires Shaw Media for $2.65-billion

Corus Entertainment acquires Shaw Media for $2.65-billion - The Globe and Mail

"Corus Entertainment Inc. has agreed to pay $2.65-billion to acquire Shaw Media Inc. from Shaw Communications Inc.

The price will be paid through a combination of $1.85-billion in cash and 71 million Corus class B shares at $11.21 per share. Both companies are ultimately controlled by the Shaw family of Alberta, but are separately listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

“This is a transformational acquisition that redefines Corus and Canada’s media landscape,” said Doug Murphy, president and chief executive officer of Corus, in a statement.
"


LOL both the companies are controlled by Shaw...
Advertisement
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback, Thanx
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,046
Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
I knew corus was owned by shaw, so I was like so it's just a restructuring/branding move I guess
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
white rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Your Moms House
Posts: 3,146
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,122 Posts
An interesting redistribution of assets considering they're both under the same umbrella.
__________________
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
pastarocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,902
Thanked 2,193 Times in 985 Posts
I'm thinking that this business transaction would mean that Shaw has even more control over what price that they can charge customers for specialty channels and related channel packages.

I know the CRTC would never allow this to happen, but I'm gonna mention this anyways.
We need more competition in the telecommunications industry in Canada so that the consumer benefits from lower prices and better TV channel packages.

If Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, were allowed to enter Canada to sell their TV channel packages, it would force Shaw and other Canadian cable companies to offer a lower price for their TV packages to the consumer.

My aunts, uncles, and cousins pay far less each month for their cable TV packages compared to what I pay.

Then you'll have the executives from Shaw and other Canadian companies argue "Oh, we cannot compete with the Americans. Let's be patriotic and keep telecommunications/TV in Canadian hands. We'll have to layoff many staff because we cannot make enough profit if we lower our prices in order to compete with U.S. competitors".

Heck, I know many friends who do not have cable TV. They just have Netflix in order to save money.
__________________
Go Canucks go!

Last edited by pastarocket; 01-13-2016 at 09:45 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,548
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"
 
The_AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 7,975
Thanked 3,745 Times in 1,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.
__________________
I'm so stance my roof rack got a roof rack

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP


Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
I'm thinking that this business transaction would mean that Shaw has even more control over what price that they can charge customers for specialty channels and related channel packages.

I know the CRTC would never allow this to happen, but I'm gonna mention this anyways.
We need more competition in the telecommunications industry in Canada so that the consumer benefits from lower prices and better TV channel packages.

If Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, were allowed to enter Canada to sell their TV channel packages, it would force Shaw and other Canadian cable companies to offer a lower price for their TV packages to the consumer.

My aunts, uncles, and cousins pay far less each month for their cable TV packages compared to what I pay.

Then you'll have the executives from Shaw and other Canadian companies argue "Oh, we cannot compete with the Americans. Let's be patriotic and keep telecommunications/TV in Canadian hands. We'll have to layoff many staff because we cannot make enough profit if we lower our prices in order to compete with U.S. competitors".

Heck, I know many friends who do not have cable TV. They just have Netflix in order to save money.
That won't happen until the Big 3 stops lobbying the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.
Not to mention, they already own most of the theaters in the US (AMC). Won't surprise me at all if they start putting in more Chinese actors as China has recently surpassed the USA as the largest box office.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,548
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
^^ The thing with most Chinese moves is that their story is very very very boring. There are a lot of restriction they can't produce a movie that shows any movement against the gov (which is why The dark knight raise was ban in China), you can't show movies with revealing(There was a TV back in China was year that was taken off air due to the way how the females were dress and they have to reedit everything which made the show totally crappy). Also some of their actors acting is horrible.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ The thing with most Chinese moves is that their story is very very very boring. There are a lot of restriction they can't produce a movie that shows any movement against the gov (which is why The dark knight raise was ban in China), you can't show movies with revealing(There was a TV back in China was year that was taken off air due to the way how the females were dress and they have to reedit everything which made the show totally crappy). Also some of their actors acting is horrible.
I agree with you, but even with all those restrictions, they make tons of revenue from theaters in China. From what I read, that market is not even close to being fully tapped yet, the revenue is growing exponentially at 15-20% per year. That's insane. Many third and fourth tier Chinese cities don't even have theaters built for Hollywood movies yet.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
up yours, children!
 
originalhypa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: online
Posts: 18,998
Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,061 Posts
How is it that a thread about the Corus/Shaw merger turns into a chinese circle jerk session?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.
__________________
woot!

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 01-13-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: removed NSFW image
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #11
linguistic ninja
 
CivicBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14,130
Thanked 1,088 Times in 360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
How is it that a thread about the Corus/Shaw merger turns into a chinese circle jerk session

The second our resident FOB, Mr.HappySilp, piped in.
__________________
http://www.en.wikipedia.org

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,548
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
I agree with you, but even with all those restrictions, they make tons of revenue from theaters in China. From what I read, that market is not even close to being fully tapped yet, the revenue is growing exponentially at 15-20% per year. That's insane. Many third and fourth tier Chinese cities don't even have theaters built for Hollywood movies yet.
The theaters there is no where near as nice as the ones we have here. I think the number one issue theaters face is in china is tons and tons of ppl just watch movies online for free. Till the gov starts cracking down is not easy to get people to pay when they can get it for free.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Dragon-88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van/Bur
Posts: 4,771
Thanked 1,317 Times in 419 Posts
I have never noticed that Mr.HappySilp was such a mainland fob until reading his recent posts in these past few months.

Did he get bitten by the yellow fever?

Maybe he noticed the attention Gululu was getting and like all busy savvy mainland chinese, he decide to directly copy Gululu by replicating Gululu's opinions and grammatical knowledge and passing it off as his own. RS is an odd place.

Back to topic. Corus acquires Shaw. Meh, to be honest, the only time something like this will affect us is when the radio stations change radio hosts.
__________________
Cash Rules Everything Around Me!!!
My Buy/Sell Feedback Ratings

Current:
2001 Honda Odyssey (Toy Hauler/ bad weather DD)
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
Kayo MR125 Race Bike (MiniGP Racing)
1971 MG MGB Tourer (Budget Build/pleasure)

Past:
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (Donated to little sister)
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
up yours, children!
 
originalhypa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: online
Posts: 18,998
Thanked 3,027 Times in 1,061 Posts
Shaw has been acting funny over the last few weeks, so I knew something was going down. It's a good thing that they're recognizing that the old ways of TV and movie distribution are dying a slow death. But is cellular the savior? The sale was made to create liquid cash for the Wind purchase.

I like their Wifi offerings, but they're not making Shaw money. Go Wifi is basically a value added for their current customers. In an industry where any growth is seen as a good thing, this is going to make or break them. Two years ago, Brad Shaw was talking about the feasibility of selling Shaw Cable to the Rogers corp. But he didn't think that the CRTC or competition bureau would allow it. That's a scary comment to hear when you consider that he is the second most powerful media man in Canada.
__________________
woot!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,548
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Shaw has been acting funny over the last few weeks, so I knew something was going down. It's a good thing that they're recognizing that the old ways of TV and movie distribution are dying a slow death. But is cellular the savior? The sale was made to create liquid cash for the Wind purchase.

I like their Wifi offerings, but they're not making Shaw money. Go Wifi is basically a value added for their current customers. In an industry where any growth is seen as a good thing, this is going to make or break them. Two years ago, Brad Shaw was talking about the feasibility of selling Shaw Cable to the Rogers corp. But he didn't think that the CRTC or competition bureau would allow it. That's a scary comment to hear when you consider that he is the second most powerful media man in Canada.
Is hard for Shaw to move away form copper wire and onto IP TV. That's where the future is at. Not only it will save them bandwidth in the future but allows to carry much much more channel, direct marketing. But since their tech is all built into the whole coxial system is not easy for them to upgrade.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,544
Thanked 652 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is hard for Shaw to move away form copper wire and onto IP TV. That's where the future is at. Not only it will save them bandwidth in the future but allows to carry much much more channel, direct marketing. But since their tech is all built into the whole coxial system is not easy for them to upgrade.
Not easy, but it needs to be done. But again, I am not surprised. Canadian tech companies are never in the driver seat to lead, they only know to adopt, and even slow at that.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
FerrariEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Posts: 7,658
Thanked 2,352 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.
I Posted that article not because of the amount of money but because they are both under Shaws control to begin with
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback, Thanx
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,028
Thanked 17,638 Times in 5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
puff this is nothing compare to China’s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion
China?s Dalian Wanda Buys Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 Billion - WSJ
Soon you might start seeing some Chinese characters add to superman lol Superman and Chinese dragon warrior VS lux and Chinese dragon warrior save superman ass, or you might see is Made in China on all the screen now in their movies.
It's pretty much already happening with all those shitty big budget action movies like Transformers and such.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS
 
iwantaskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere in bc
Posts: 2,040
Thanked 783 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is hard for Shaw to move away form copper wire and onto IP TV. That's where the future is at. Not only it will save them bandwidth in the future but allows to carry much much more channel, direct marketing. But since their tech is all built into the whole coxial system is not easy for them to upgrade.
DOCSIS 3.1 comes out next year allowing Rogers and Shaw to introduce 1GB/S connections to homes (that rivals fibre connections FYI) without having to upgrade their coaxial networks.

I don't think you really know what IP TV is.

Last edited by iwantaskyline; 01-14-2016 at 10:59 AM.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,548
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
DOCSIS 3 comes out next year allowing Rogers and Shaw to introduce 1GB/S connections to homes (that rivals fibre connections FYI) without having to upgrade their coaxial networks.

I don't think you really know what IP TV is.
How many ppl in their network will be able to get that type of connections. Shaw will still need to upgrade their network. There are still a lot of area that have shit wiring.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS
 
iwantaskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere in bc
Posts: 2,040
Thanked 783 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
How many ppl in their network will be able to get that type of connections. Shaw will still need to upgrade their network. There are still a lot of area that have shit wiring.
Try googling DOCSIS 3.1 before you talk about things you don't understand.

Last edited by iwantaskyline; 01-14-2016 at 10:59 AM.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,548
Thanked 1,665 Times in 847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Try googling DOCSIS 3 before you talk about things you don't understand.
Sorry buddy but I work in the industry and a lot of things mention in google sounds nice on paper but try to it real life don't work so well. But then I guess that's too hard for you to understand.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS
 
iwantaskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere in bc
Posts: 2,040
Thanked 783 Times in 319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Sorry buddy but I work in the industry and a lot of things mention in google sounds nice on paper but try to it real life don't work so well. But then I guess that's too hard for you to understand.
You work in the industry yet don't know about the new generation of DOCSIS? Actually I work in the industry as well, seems like I'm more up to date than you

Rogers to offer gigabit download speeds to Internet customers - The Globe and Mail

Rogers announces new gigabit internet, 4K set top box and commitment to 4K content | MobileSyrup.com

They don't need to upgrade their network to fiber with the new generation of DOCSIS, it's fact.

Also to correct my previous post it's DOCSIS 3.1
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 2,113
Thanked 756 Times in 340 Posts
.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 2,113
Thanked 756 Times in 340 Posts
.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net