REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Remote viewing of DVR

My security DVR is connected to my home network through router "minifig". I can connect to minifig on my phone, and use the app to view the DVR using its local IP address, 192.168.1.12.

But how can connect to the DVR from an external location? The challenge is that minifig is connected to my shaw modem/router.

If you can advise on what to configure, and on which device(s) (shaw and/or minifig), that would be greatly appreciated. I know what my external IP address is.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Not familiar with "minifig" but the general process for enabling a DVR or NVR for remote access via WAN is the same:

1. Create a Port Forwarding Rule for the corresponding DVR/NVR ports in the Router. Alternatively you can set the LAN IP 192.168.1.12 as the DMZ.

2. Create a connection in the client with the Port(s) (same as identified in Step #1), Credentials, and most importantly the Modem IP address.

Note: While we are talking about Modem IP's, if you have a Dynamic IP address from your ISP, consider using DDNS if your head end supports it. Usually the manufacturer will offer and host this for free. It will save you headaches in the future. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Haha, "minifig" is the name of my wireless network. So I'm referring to that router (Linksys brand) as minifig.

Do I need to set up port forwarding on the shaw router or on minifig?

Sorry, you will need to dumb it down for me because while I've dabbled in home networking in the past, I haven't done this stuff in years!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 01-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #4

Ok that makes sense now that I re-read what you typed Port Forwarding is to be done on the Shaw Modem/Router.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
Ok that makes sense now that I re-read what you typed Port Forwarding is to be done on the Shaw Modem/Router.
Is there a specific port I should use on the shaw router? And what do I forward it to - "minifig", or the DVR recorder?

I think I can figure out the IP address of "minifig" in relation to the Shaw router, but I don't know the IP address of the DVR recorder in relation to the Shaw router.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
The IP of your DVR seems to be 192.168.1.12 if you can access this address locally within your LAN. The port is defined within the DVR network settings. Usually there are 2 that need to be forwarded. Once you figure out the ports, all you need to do is set up the port forward on your Shaw unit using the DVR IP of 192.198.1.12
Old 01-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

Use the Port(s) identified in the Network screen of the DVR. They should be configurable but should also have a default. Usually the default is fine as DVR manufacturers choose them not to conflict with ports of other common devices.

Forward the port(s) 192.168.1.12 and enable TCP/UDP (or "all" if there is a choice). Most importantly, ensure the Port Forwarding rule is enabled after creation.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #8

I don't think I'm explaining my network properly. Check out this quick sketch:

I think I need to:

1) forward port 90 on the Shaw router to the "minifig" router
2) forward port 90 on "minifig" to the DVR

I know step #2 is functional because I can access the DVR from my phone when my phone is connected to the "minifig" network, using 192.168.1.12.

I think I have done step 1 correctly, based on this screenshot (while laptop is connected to shaw router):

I think I have minifig's external IP correct based on this screenshot (MAC address of minifig starts with C8D7):

Maybe there is something I'm missing between steps 1 and 2??
Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Why is "minifig" on a diff subnet?
Old 01-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
u have a router behind a router. do u have anything that is actually connected to the shaw router? if its just ur own linksys router connected to the shaw modem/router and everything else connected to ur own linksys router then i highly suggest u ask shaw to bridge ur modem so it disables its internal router.

this way all u need to do is set the camera on a certain port number, then on ur own linksys router port forward that port number + what ever IP the camera is using. u can then access that camera externally by httpe://externalip: port into the address bar to access ur camera

ur other way if u do plan to use the shaw modem/router is to have ur linksys set as access point with DHCP disabled so the shaw router does all the ip distributing. then do the above again but on the shaw router.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.

Last edited by TOPEC; 01-14-2016 at 10:26 PM.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
need to fix the network first. so the shaw modem/router and the minifig is on the same network. the way you have it now is complicated to get what you want it to do.

i would suggest what TOPEC is saying. switching the minifig to AP mode. (disabling the DHCP).
This might cause problems if your DVR is using at static internal ip
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #12

Thanks to all those who have offered suggestions so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
u have a router behind a router. do u have anything that is actually connected to the shaw router? if its just ur own linksys router connected to the shaw modem/router and everything else connected to ur own linksys router then i highly suggest u ask shaw to bridge ur modem so it disables its internal router.

this way all u need to do is set the camera on a certain port number, then on ur own linksys router port forward that port number + what ever IP the camera is using. u can then access that camera externally by httpe://externalip: port into the address bar to access ur camera

ur other way if u do plan to use the shaw modem/router is to have ur linksys set as access point with DHCP disabled so the shaw router does all the ip distributing. then do the above again but on the shaw router.
Good question - the only thing physically connected to the shaw router is my own linksys router. However, I do use the shaw router as a wireless access point. I assume that that won't work anymore if I get shaw to bridge it.

Looks like I will need to disable DHCP on my linksys router... If everything gets messed up, I might just give up and revert back to my previous settings!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i can probably help you set it up if you can't get it running.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

you should find out on the DVR which ports it requires to go out. every brand is different. i worked with alot of brands.

i assume you are residential internet user, even if you are able to port forward and get it working, you probably have a dynamic IP address.

what that means is: after 'x' amount of time. (days. weeks. etc.) your IP will change and you will have to port forward all over again.

alot of modern cctv dvrs have a type of dns relay server. so you can give it a name and you dont have to worry about port forwarding. something like how teamviewer works?
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
What DVR do you have? Some have a "cloud" function where you don't need to connect directly to it; the DVR connects to the manufacturer's server, and your app connects to the server, and they route that way.

Other than that, I have the same setup as you - Shaw router used as WAP and a separate internet connection for my son's computer, then a second router behind it for the whole home. I set my second router's WAN IP as a DMZ in the Shaw router (so in your case, 192.168.0.12 would be the DMZ), so the Shaw unit is essentially just passing everything straight through to the ASUS, which just operates normally.

Most DVRs have a UPnP option that will configure the port forwarding automatically, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote