REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
How to keep backup cameras clean?

So my cars (Mini and TLX) both have backup cameras. But I find that in our winter, it's extremely difficult to keep them clean.

Whenever it rains, the camera becomes useless the next few days unless I keep cleaning them every time before I drive. And even then, it often becomes covered by water/dirt by the time I arrive to my destination and need it for parking.

Yes, I know it's a first world problem, but what's good when you have these gadgets on your car and they are a PITA in real life usage?

So, is there any water/dirt repellent that I can apply on them so I don't need to keep wiping them?
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
... Wipe it once and a while?

Edit: a dab of rainX or equivalent
Old 01-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
... Wipe it once and a while?

Edit: a dab of rainX or equivalent
i've tried that. dosen't work

all i can do is whenever i am outside of the car, i make a conscious effort to wipe the lens with my thumb when i can. otherwise it's covered in crap and is useless...

i wish i had this (the camera not the car):

Nissan Debuts Intelligent Self-Cleaning Rear View Camera on New Note [w/Video]

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Serious question, but will wiping the dirty lens of the rear view camera cause scratches on it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
Witness protection

i've noticed no difference with the oem camera on my mom's mdx over the last 4 years? but i think the lens is glass... same goes for the kenwood aftermarket camera soundsgood installed on my dad's ride to replace another cheaper one from china that filled up with water and it was like looking through a fishbowl

but i've seen cheap aftermarket cameras with a plastic lens and i cannot vouch for those
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-15-2016 at 08:45 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
My TL has a reverse camera and I am very surprised how well it works. The whole back side of the car and be filthy and it is still usable. It does get dirty and wet but it still seems to do very well.

One thing I have done since owning the car is put a layer of paint sealant on the lens (when I detail the car) and I find it helps keep the water off for the most part (could also be due to its location, not totally sure)

On SUV's I find they get very dirty due to the aero of the vehicle and the turbulence that throws dirt up the back of the vehicle. Only thing I would do then is make it a habit to walk by and just wipe it clean.....that or do the old school turning the head thing to back up :P

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

My parents have the new VW Golf that has the camera tucked into the badge/hatch lever and only reveals the camera when it shifts into reverse. One of the best convenience features ever.
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Witness protection

yeah i remember that. i bought a euro one from ecs tuning for my mk5 long ago. it works great and having a dirty lens never occured to me, but in super cold weather the mechanism freezes up and the camera won't pop out... but then again it rarely ever gets that cold out here.

Last edited by thumper; 01-15-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Finally, others who feel my pain
Old 01-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
How to keep backup cameras clean?

same here....countless acuras with the same issue. it's a poor design I'm thinking. had a rental rav4 last week and the camera was always clean even from the snow slush in the Wisconsin winter.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

As a person without a back up camera I never really thought about this issue. Never dawned on me why companies are hiding them in emblems but I guess its a fix for this problem. More then "it just looks cool"

brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
^a german car and a lincoln with a fancy gimicky feature. surely wont ever break :

lick your finger and give it a quick wipe when you walk by every now and then. seriously, are you guys that soft?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
^a german car and a lincoln with a fancy gimicky feature. surely wont ever break :

lick your finger and give it a quick wipe when you walk by every now and then. seriously, are you guys that soft?
im soft now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #14

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
OP needs a camera to park a mini and a tlx... my pickup truck has a camera and i dont even use it. properly adjusted mirrors ftw.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #15

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
The whole pivoting rear camera thing in the VW is a cool idea, but in 10 years I bet most wont work right any more.
Simple is best.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
The whole pivoting rear camera thing in the VW is a cool idea, but in 10 years I bet most wont work right any more.
Simple is best.
Simple is always best. Look at what happens to a BMW 7 series after 5 years let alone 10
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
Witness protection

the vw setup is pretty straightforward. a spring loaded badge with a camera attached to the backside, and a solenoid that would push it out with the reverse light signal. take it out of reverse and the camera goes back in.

if someone could figure out how to make just the camera itself pop in and out of some sort of opening it would be perfect, but from what i'm googling, manufactuers are leaning towards system where it's tied to the rear windshield washer to spray the camera... but that dosen't work for people like me who drive something without a rear wiper
Old 01-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #18

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
the vw setup is pretty straightforward. a spring loaded badge with a camera attached to the backside, and a solenoid that would push it out with the reverse light signal. take it out of reverse and the camera goes back in.

if someone could figure out how to make just the camera itself pop in and out of some sort of opening it would be perfect, but from what i'm googling, manufactuers are leaning towards system where it's tied to the rear windshield washer to spray the camera... but that dosen't work for people like me who drive something without a rear wiper
The mercedes CLA also has a backup camera which comes out of a small door by the license plate...

Only picture I can find of it:

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #19

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
It's not that I need the camera to park, but when you are parking, the camera does a much better job when you are trying to park into a very tight spot.

With camera, you can back it to the limit of literally kissing the other bumper... without the camera, you just keep on going back and forth. So it does make a difference.

I tried to google around for some solution for 2hrs... nothing.

It's not so much of a problem in summer or down in Cali... my wife's S7 has all-around view (4 cameras) in Cali and we never noticed the problem. But it's bad here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Serious question, but will wiping the dirty lens of the rear view camera cause scratches on it?
No... the lens is quite durable (as expected... it supposed to withstand the elements). But when you get dirt and water on it, it becomes blurry as hell.

Last edited by Hehe; 01-15-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #20
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I just quick wipe with my fingers every time
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

@hehe spot on
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Not much you can do about it, sometimes I have to hop out and wipe it if I'm going to an extremely tight spot. It's better to do that rather than misjudge distance and back my truck into a pole or something. The lack of view behind me is a bit difficult in a pick up truck, haha!
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I have been driving without backup camera for 15 years, be a man lol
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
These images of cameras hidden behind the cars emblems you guys are posting remind me of a peeping tom lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #25

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I have been driving without backup camera for 15 years, be a man lol
People also drove cars with wooden wheels that were drawn by horses for 100 years, maybe you should be a man and go back to driving one of those.

Seriously one of the dumbest things I see every day, "But I've been doing it this way for XX years", SO? now there is a better, more convenient, easier, more economical, etc, way of doing it.

Be fucking dinosaur, but don't criticize those that adopt new technology and use it to their benefit.

It's always been said, the seven most expensive words in business are:

Quote:
We have always done it that way
The same shit applies to your bullshit post.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote