REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Donald Trump Claims he Will Make Apple Start Building Computers in The US

Donald Trump Claims he Will Make Apple Start Building Computers in The US - eTeknix

Donald Trump says he will get Apple to 'start building their damn computers and things' in the US | The Verge

"We're going to get Apple to build their damn computers in this country instead of other countries," Trump said towards end of the speech, according to Gizmodo. Earlier, he proposed a 35 percent tax on businesses making goods overseas, while still insisting that he supported free trade.

Only one Mac — the Mac Pro — is currently assembled in the U.S., by way of a factory located in Austin, Texas. Apple otherwise relies on Chinese manufacturers for most of its products, both because of the cheap labor and because decades of previous outsourcing has allowed the American manufacturing industry to shrink.
"
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Lol
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
When he means build does he mean from start to finish or just assemble.

the guys an idiot. He claims to build the best walls but has never built one himself. Claimed to make the best Vodka but does not drink. Now this.

Did anyone her Trumps joke about the 2 Corinthians it was hilarious.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
They are overpriced anyways. So why not
Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Sales would probably increase even though the price would increase. Free range iMacs. A happily assembled computer is a better computer.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Makes sense
Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
I'm curious, does trumps developments that use subcontractors use mexican labour to make better margins? Why hasn't anyone leaked out this info yet?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #9

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
'gina

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
My Mac Pro is made in the US.

Does it mean he can claim he made Apple do it already?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #11

well here's Kevin O'Leary's reality check regarding to Made in China

Old 01-19-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
They are overpriced anyways. So why not
and if it's made in USA, you'll see overpriced x 2
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #13

Nobody cares if Apple products are made in USA.

Apple's competitors(Samsung, Sony, etc) will continue to make their stuff in China.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
I think you guys let your anti-trump sentiment get in the way of reality here.

Stuff like this is exactly what middle America is looking for. Automatically creating thousands of jobs, keeping an "American" company on home soil, building worldly products which will have an American flag stamped on the box.

The perception alone is huge, this isn't the job he's employing Mexicans to do sweeping leaves and picking up garbage, this is Apple.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #15

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I think you guys let your anti-trump sentiment get in the way of reality here.

Stuff like this is exactly what middle America is looking for. Automatically creating thousands of jobs, keeping an "American" company on home soil, building worldly products which will have an American flag stamped on the box.

The perception alone is huge, this isn't the job he's employing Mexicans to do sweeping leaves and picking up garbage, this is Apple.
does apple actually have any factories in China?

I'm guessing Apple outsources all production to certain large scale specialty electronics manufacturers in China (wasn't it Foxconn or something?). It's not like Apple has a factory set up, they just outsource it.

Where is the profit for Apple? It's not in China (they don't and won't pay the factory supplying products enough), it'll likely be in a tax haven by virtue of a double dutch sandwich (otherly known as a double dutch irish structure) - IP attracts all the profit, not manufacturing.

what can trump realistically do here? nothing really. what's more important is that:

a) the human capital is here developing the true value (which is the design of products and the software), manufacturing is a poor man's job (it'll make some top ppl rich, but the average worker is poor), and

b) profits are not held off shore untaxed.

Looking at b) above, this is a motherfucker of an issue. You get taxed 35% in America (avg. corp rate), if you have income that flows through a foreign country taxed at 10%, when you dividend it home, you'll basically get taxed an additional 25% (ignoring withholding taxes here). That's why there are bazillions of USD held off shore not coming home anytime soon.

Here's what a really smart politician will do - they will find a good fix for this to bring home a huge chunk of that money and make it attractive to reinvest it within america to create new american jobs. Not $1 per hour China jobs (i'm being extreme, i know), but much more value added jobs, whether they are in high tech, industrial equipment, IT, or whatever, and these high skilled jobs will have the trickle down to create ancillary jobs at the lower wage levels.

For those anti-Trumpers, and those calling him dumb, he's a billionaire (ok, he had a great start in life) - what he has done is impressive, and can be attributed to many personal traits that make him a winner in business (if anyone brings up bankruptcy, i'll just say he's being a winner, he knows when to call a loss a loss, and uses the law to his benefit).

Ignoring some of the stupid things he's said, i'd love to see him as president for a couple of reasons:

1) He answers to no one, he don't give a fuck,
2) He will be reigned in by the political system, he wouldn't be able to just fuck things up,
3) he isn't a politician - he might actually be able to get something done.
4) He is independently wealthy beyond any of our dreams, i would hope this suggests he's less susceptible to corruption and wrongdoings, though I may be grasping at straws here

worst case scenario, he causes a bit of a mess... is that so much worse than where we're at now.

when you look at the politicians in the race, are any of them going to do anything vastly different than the last guy, or will they continue the big black hole of tax and spend, redistributing wealth from the middle class to the 1%?

i'm not pro trump, i'm anti-politician!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #16
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,397 Times in 5,090 Posts
^ Are you even following the US Presidential Race?

Jesus... Bernie Sanders' platform is exactly what you've detailed, minus all the racism and bigotry Trump dispenses. Was Bush reigned in by politics searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? There are so many examples just like that, nobody likes "politicians" but you're playing a risky fucking game throwing a superpower country into the hands of an egotistical narcissistic lunatic just to "see what happens"... I don't even know what to say about that sort of logic. Nevermind the same mentality that lets him use loopholes to rip off investors and declare bankruptcy, those sort of shady ass tendencies to protect his own ass while throwing others into harm's way are something you idolize in a leader?

He doesn't care about wealth he cares about power, otherwise what's the point of running for President? Cuz he's "pissed off"? Give me a break.

And how exactly is the USA at its worst right now?

68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #17
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Nobody cares if Apple products are made in USA.

Apple's competitors(Samsung, Sony, etc) will continue to make their stuff in China.
wow, i actually agree with timpo. yeah android phone manufacturers will just keep making it in china and the price difference will be way too big to ignore. apple is already too expensive.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Trump will say whatever he wants with no follow up on how he exactly plans to do any of it.

The only thing I like about him is that he doesn't hold back, he definitely speaks his mind whether you like what he says or not.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #19

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ Are you even following the US Presidential Race?

Jesus... Bernie Sanders' platform is exactly what you've detailed, minus all the racism and bigotry Trump dispenses. Was Bush reigned in by politics searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? There are so many examples just like that, nobody likes "politicians" but you're playing a risky fucking game throwing a superpower country into the hands of an egotistical narcissistic lunatic just to "see what happens"... I don't even know what to say about that sort of logic. Nevermind the same mentality that lets him use loopholes to rip off investors and declare bankruptcy, those sort of shady ass tendencies to protect his own ass while throwing others into harm's way are something you idolize in a leader?

He doesn't care about wealth he cares about power, otherwise what's the point of running for President? Cuz he's "pissed off"? Give me a break.

And how exactly is the USA at its worst right now?

what did i say about bringing up bankruptcies.

investors know the risks of investing, that's why you get return above treasuries - if an investment goes belly up, they should be smart enough to take it on the chin (I have invested (small amounts) in a number of companies that have gone under, c'est la vie, that's why you diversify).

and no, not really following it, just fed up of politicians, they're the same the world over. there has not been a good politician since Margaret Thatcher - right there, you'll split the room 50/50 with that comment.

no need to argue on politics, just vote for who you want to vote for (in this case, you can't assuming you're not a US resident).

i'm not saying anyone should support trump, i'm just saying i'll always support a rich and successful businessman over any politician (unless somehow Magee T is reincarnated).

rather than worrying about trump (who won't win, by the way), worry about canada - was inbred harper, now pretty boy trudeau - it's almost like there was no option in that election!

*should also say, i think bernie would be better than hilary. though i liked bill clinton, hilary has baggage. bernie is somewhat 'fresh' in his approach.

Last edited by 4444; 01-19-2016 at 07:41 AM.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #20
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

doubt he meant or even care about what he said...
as long as it gets him vote from from the retarded portion of the population.

Sometimes I think this guy is really really smart...beneath all the personas he puts on, he will basically do and say whatever it takes to get him what he wanted
He probably knows none of his "policies" work, and he knows he got the republican party on a tight grip. But they can't kick him out simply because he will run as an independent and steal a big part of the republican's votes

people just don't give a shit about your opinions if they aren't insanely polarized and controversial...just look at all the free press Trump has been getting from his comments and policies
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Trump says the craziest things as part of his election platform.

-just to paraphrase The Donald:

-build a wall along the U.S./Mexico border and force the Mexican government to pay for the wall.

-force Apple to build computers in the U.S.

Trump should send tese memes to Apple CEO Tim Cook:

Old 01-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #22
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
couldnt he just raise an īmport tax on tech items to cut into the profits of tech companies, unless they're assembled/made in the states whereby they'll receive a tax deductible? kind of like why automakers have factories throughout north america (and china)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
couldnt he just raise an īmport tax on tech items to cut into the profits of tech companies, unless they're assembled/made in the states whereby they'll receive a tax deductible? kind of like why automakers have factories throughout north america (and china)
Guess where your TV is assembled. It's not China it's Mexico. If the import tax is increased Apple and other tech companies will just open up factories in Mexico. The government can't charge import taxes on stuff from Mexico because of free trade. Also most of the parts inside your computer are made in China and other foreign countries. even if they open factories in the US the parts will still be charged a 35% duty.

Also what makes people think China will not ad a duty to all American made stuff coming into china as a retalaiton.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

umm isn't his clothing line made in GINA
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I've read an article about this when Ford, GM and Chrysler were filing Chapter 11.

The US Government was going to restrict Japanese manufactures, like they have done before back in 1980s and 90s.
However, at that time it was different, Japanese manufactures, especially Toyota, were more American than Ford, GM or Chrysler.

That's why the US government couldn't touch Japanese manufacture especially Toyota, because they were giving jobs for American citizens and actually contributing to the economy.