REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I remember learning most of what is posted in high school. Accounting, Law, basic first aid, etc. And this was the 90's. School(grade school) is about teaching accountibility and responsibility IMO. You hone in on what you want to do after school in Grade 11 and 12 and focus on that to prepare for post secondary.

The life skills you're talking about can be learned once you learn about the internet; which in today's society should be about 5 or 6 years old.
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I can see where Timpo is coming from, to a certain extent. (Wow, that's weird typing that)

When a student leaves highschool he/she will be 17 or 18 years old.
I do feel that they should know how to:

-File their T4
-Contribute to RESP/RRSP
-File for EI
-Knowledge of banking (TFSA, GIC's, LOC's, Mortgages)
-MSP / Dental (What is and is not covered)

Once I left highschool, I was completely in the dark in most of the above and had to figure it out myself or get the limited help from my parents. Most people will say "oh it's the parents problem" yet when you are 18 and your parents are breaking into their late 50's, there is a big ass generation gap where things have changed.

This picture relates to all of this:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,924 Times in 3,877 Posts
Most of the crap Timpo listed is covered in schools already, but the problem is the same problem you'd have if they taught everything in school: most kids won't pay attention. Even if they do they're learning it years before they'll use it, so by the time they do go to use it either they've forgotten or the way it works has changed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The thing is although they teach some of that stuff (not most and certainly not all) the average teacher is told to teach for the majority. That means the othe 49% that learn differently grow up being told they are stupid. The school system will fail many until it has the capacity to understand and adapt to different kids learning styles. As long as there are 30+ students and only 1 overworked teacher, consider those that don't fit the mold basically fucked.
What's your alternative, individual teachers for every special snowflake that learns differently? The school system is hardly perfect, but it sure isn't failing 49% of people like you seem to think.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
IMO the school system does a much better job educating children than most parents do. Perhaps those that develop the curriculum are under the impression that parents will teach their kids what a mortgage is etc.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
I remember learning most of what is posted in high school. Accounting, Law, basic first aid, etc. And this was the 90's. School(grade school) is about teaching accountibility and responsibility IMO. You hone in on what you want to do after school in Grade 11 and 12 and focus on that to prepare for post secondary.

The life skills you're talking about can be learned once you learn about the internet; which in today's society should be about 5 or 6 years old.
Unless it's change in the last 10 years...grade 11 and 12 does shit all to prepare you for post secondary. It may teach you how to take provincial exam...many of my former HS teachers will agree. The only exception is if you took AP classes which is not offered in-class at many schools when I was going through it.

Things must be different now in elementary school...no more cursive writing...many schools don't do spelling tests any more (thanks to spell checks), and the days of going to the library to do research with enclyclopedias must be long gone.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #32
SMZ
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Most of the crap Timpo listed is covered in schools already, but the problem is the same problem you'd have if they taught everything in school: most kids won't pay attention. Even if they do they're learning it years before they'll use it, so by the time they do go to use it either they've forgotten or the way it works has changed.
This
SMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2016, 01:56 AM   #34
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
IMO investment has to be learned first hand. You cannot simulate the roller coaster ride of losing half your net worth in a bad day with monopoly money. I still remember when we did this for a class, kids just picked penny stocks and it's go big or go home. You can't teach children to think long term when that investment session ends in a week. It was a big waste of time.
We did something like that in class, though it lasted the whole school year and not simply a week or two. While we weren't graded on how much we gained or lost, we were graded on how we decided to pick various stocks and how deep our research went. It was good practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Ever wondered why we don't teach kids the system of our society at school?
We teach kids Shakespeare/McBeth/Hamlet but not how the society works. I know that these things fall into social studies, but I don't believe school teach anything practical.
I wonder if there are any other countries that teach more practical things at school. Maybe even in Canada, they might already be teaching depending on what kind of school they are, but I don't know.

Here are some subjects that I think should be added. I'm sure I have missed a few, but I think they should add Gr.13 if they can't somehow squeeze these topics within Gr.1-Gr.12 system we have.

Government System - I am not saying kids should be politicians, but school should teach basic political system.
Municipal, Provincial, Federal. How they work and how are they different. How to vote, the difference between Conservative, Liberal, etc.

Law - What's illegal and what's legal. Wiretap law, copyright, the consequence of DUI, shoplifting, dealing drugs, what are your options, what to do when you're arrested under suspicion of something, what if you're convicted, etc. How to file a lawsuit or appeal. Who is Justice of Peace, etc. What does the Crown mean? How they proceed court cases, when can you talk to your lawyer, etc.

Accounting - How to prepare income tax, what are T4, T5, etc. forums, what is CPP contributions, etc. What's tax deductible and what's not. etc. Childcare benefits, etc.

Medical System - BC Care Card, WorkSafe BC, etc. What kind of medical assistants are available, what's covered and what's not, etc.

Insurance/Contract - Auto insurance, real estate insurance. What are comprehensive coverage? What is lien check? How to check history of property, what to look for? Who/where to get your purchase inspected, etc. How to read contract for rent or purchase, etc.

Banking - TSFA, Chequing, Saving, CIG, TSX, NASDAQ, etc. How to save/budget for your living. How to plan for credit cards, what are the basic rules for saving money.etc. How to apply for student loans, etc.

Job - What if you get laid off? How to apply for E.I. How to look for a job? Job interview preparations, basic manners and languages you should be using for interviewers. Difference between union work and non-union work. Auxiliary and permanent employment, employees and contractors, etc.

Emergency - First Aid, CPR, how to prepare for earthquake, basic securities, how to use fire extinguisher, self defense, etc.

DIY/Misc - basic knowledge of how to fix your home, cars, etc.

*Edit - Other things like how to issue your passport, SIN number, get childcare assistance if you're eligible, difference between marriage and common law, etc.
Government structure is taught in Social Studies (usually grades 10 and 11).

Jobs/Careers is basically what CAPP class is for, though for some reason it also contained sex ed in my school.

DIY is shop/wood working/cooking classes. Those are all electives, but are usually available at most high schools. That said, I do know some schools don't offer those courses any more.

My high school didn't offer any sort of courses for accounting/banking or law. Mind you, I went to school in a very affluent part of town, so I guess the general thinking was that Mommy or Daddy will either support you or look after your accounting needs. There was a St John's field trip we could take if we wanted first aid training, but it wasn't set up as an actual class we could choose.

We did, however, have countless art, drama, band and film classes to pick from.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:57 AM   #35
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
they should teach all of that, while you fucking go through some sorta bootcamp for 3 months.

the society stuff so you know how to navigate through life's paper work and bureaucracy system.

and the fucking boot camp so you're not a god damn pussy that's never had to push their physical and mental self to failure.

people would god damn vote if they had to work hard to earn that right
they would care about the judicial system and the political system if they had to be part of it.

there's no patriotism, because there's no sweat and tears that they had to put into earning their rights.

if they were given stuff, and taught where it came from, and who contributes, and then they were forced to participate and contribute to earn the right to receive those benefits... they would fucking care. everyone would fucking care. lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Government structure is taught in Social Studies (usually grades 10 and 11).
I could've sworn we started learning basics about the government in elementary school, but I might be remembering incorrectly. It got more detailed as you moved through the higher grades though.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #37
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I could've sworn we started learning basics about the government in elementary school, but I might be remembering incorrectly. It got more detailed as you moved through the higher grades though.
You're probably right. It's been 15 years since I graduated, so my memory is pretty hazy about stuff I never really paid attention to.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
This picture annoys me so much. I feel only parents with slow children think it makes sense. Tests and school work is assigned for kids of roughly the same grade and age, I don't see the problem.

"But my child learns different"
Tough shit, pay for private school or a tutor