REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #51
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
I only like the one at the Richmond location. Coquitlam's tastes a bit different and it's been a while since I've been to the Vancouver one since I prefer Cafe Gloucester a few blocks down.
Most of the staff from Copa in Coquitlam, work at M Café on Barnet now. For a HK Café in the burbs, it's pretty good.
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
what is this golden award you guys speak of?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #53
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
what is this golden award you guys speak of?
Closed down already. The location is now occupied by Silver Tower.

Back in its heyday, the chef / owner used to own 3 HK style cafes -- Golden Award (Richmond - Alexandra Road), Golden Oscar (Vancouver - Rupert & 22nd?), and something else. I think only Golden Oscar remains now, and it is unclear whether it is still owned by the same owner. I suspect it isn't.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #54
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Anyone remember Hon Lok Yuen 24hrs place? Man I loved that palce, eat, chill, watch a movie lol.

Golden Oscar is horrible, do they still have the rule where you can't get a drink if you order to go? Shit was fucked.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #55
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Golden Oscar sucks. I have a buddy who likes to eat there on the regular and I have no idea why. The food they serve there is at least 2 days old.
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #56
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
Golden Oscar sucks. I have a buddy who likes to eat there on the regular and I have no idea why. The food they serve there is at least 2 days old.
HOW DARE YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjson View Post
It's too bad, I live on the East side and finding a solid HK Style place is near impossible. Golden Oscar, IPOL on Hastings which every couple years gets sold and or renamed to something else. Friend recommended BT Cafe by Fraser on Kingsway as possibly being one of the best options for east siders. Nothing that will blow you away but decent from what I hear.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #58
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
If you are in East Van near Golden Oscar, have you tried E-Tea that is in the plaza at the opposite corner from Golden Oscar? It isn't exactly an HK style cafe, but their food used to be pretty decent. It's just that I haven't been there in a long time, so I can't say what it is like now.

I like the combo grill / dish at Angel Cake Cafe on Fraser & 44th. Have you been to that one?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Back in my university days, I'd hit up Golden Oscar almost nightly, especially during exam season. Haven't been back since I moved out of the area. Sad to hear that it's gone to shit.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If you are in East Van near Golden Oscar, have you tried E-Tea that is in the plaza at the opposite corner from Golden Oscar? It isn't exactly an HK style cafe, but their food used to be pretty decent. It's just that I haven't been there in a long time, so I can't say what it is like now.

I like the combo grill / dish at Angel Cake Cafe on Fraser & 44th. Have you been to that one?
I personally haven't but the wife did quite a while back and didn't like it so I'm taking a pass haha. I used to go to Angel until one time my wife got fucked up eating there so again its been off the list now lol. If I'm desperate I just order from Cattle across Metro. I'm like far east so a quick hop on the highway and up to kingsway isn't too brutal.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #61
Rs has made me the man i am today!

East Van:
- Angel Cafe (their A+B breakfast is the best; decent price too, much less than Richmond)
- BT Cafe (I really like their baked stuff there)
- IPOL (my parents like their Singapore fried rice noodles there)

Richmond:
- Red Bud (A bit on the pricier side, but when I feel spending a little more I get their German Pork Knuckle)
- Alleluia and Kingspark for your typical pick 2 or 3 meats + spaghetti/rice+sauce

I had a bad experience at Copa cafe by Richmond Oval. Overpriced food and it didn't come with a drink. Not sure if thats still the case now.

Last edited by keifun; 01-24-2016 at 11:21 AM.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #62
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Alleluia and Kingspark for your typical pick 2 or 3 meats + spaghetti/rice+sauce

get the chicken leg
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #63
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I really miss Honolulu on Main st. Use to go there so much since 1998. The one on kingsway just doesn't feel the same.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #64
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
I really miss Honolulu on Main st. Use to go there so much since 1998. The one on kingsway just doesn't feel the same.
Angel cafe on fraser was owned by the same owner for a while. Food is very similar but not sure if the two restaurants are still related.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #65
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
Cafe Loyal on bridgeport is good
Awesome milk tea and yeen yeung at cafe loyal. Baked rice options are pretty meh, I work 2 minutes away and have tried about 10 different food items. I'd say 3/10 items are really solid, 4/10 are average, 3/10 are just awful. Pretty inconsistent as far as food quality goes. Their asian dishes are better than the western dishes IMO

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it (maybe it's closed?) but Hollywood Steak House had some really good baked dishes, the baked spinach/cream sauce cod rice was my favourite but portugese chicken was awesome too.

I go to Silver Tower almost weekly for 2/3 choice and baked rice/spaghetti dishes, as others have mentioned very consistent with a pretty decent milk tea. Lots of free street parking after 9PM and open very late.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #66
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I'm not sure if this qualifies as an HK-style cafe as I would personally consider this more of a Chinese restaurant (think Congee Noodle House) but Shining Garden at the corner of Nanaimo and Broadway is not bad.

They have a dedicated lunch special menu valid from 10:30am to 4:00pm with an assortment of items such as noodles, rice, curries, noodle soups, congee etc and most items come with a drink, $0.50 for cold. There are some items that do not come with a drink, but it will specifically say so.

Most of their dishes are pretty good, but the big draw back is they do not have baked items and pick-your-own-item menus. Otherwise, for the location/area and for the cost, it's great value and the quality of food is not bad. The portions are generous, too.

Parking in the lot can suck as it is shared, so your only option is street parking or in the back alley. The milk tea, coffee, and iced lemon tea was pretty good! Milk tea could use a bit more milk, but nothing to be upset over.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:35 PM   #67
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm not sure if this qualifies as an HK-style cafe as I would personally consider this more of a Chinese restaurant (think Congee Noodle House) but Shining Garden at the corner of Nanaimo and Broadway is not bad.
is this recent? b/c to the left of Bon's is/was phoenix garden which was always a dim sum place. to the left of it was some chinese place with a green tarp.

since it has high praise from you and i'm not aware of it i assume it's not mainstream and therefore hipster approved

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #68
RS Veteran

Yes, actually, I went today!

I don't remember when it became Shining Garden, but it was something else before, and they served dim sum, if I recall correctly. Do not confuse it with Golden Phoenix. It's the place with the green tarp.

It's in a bit of an obscure plaza, if you will, so I suppose it is not mainstream and hipster approved.

I mostly liked the beef and vegetable (bok choy) with flat rice noodles - there was enough "wok hay" as they call it. I only wished for the noodles to be wider, but c'est la vie. We also had their won ton mein with beef brisket which was pretty good.

Their curry dishes aren't bad. It's not super spicy or bland, so it's enough to satisfy most peoples palates. The portion of meat (i.e. brisket, beef, chicken etc) is very generous, but if you like potato, you have to specifically request it. We ordered a plate of chicken fried noodles (not the mein) but we were too full by then to eat it, so it got packed to go.

Edit: Link to their Lunch menu - http://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/shinin...ver-2?start=30

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-24-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #69
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
Alleluia and Kingspark for your typical pick 2 or 3 meats + spaghetti/rice+sauce

get the chicken leg
^+1 for alleluia but had a catapiller in my meal @ Kingspark never again.

Copa near the oval is nice..

Damn now im hungry af
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #70
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Was this the place where robbers came into the restaurant and stole from customers awhile back?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #71
RS Veteran

No, I think that was Golden Phoenix.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #72
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Wtg dukes. Craving beef brisket wuntun mein while eating a big Mac combo, now.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #73
RS Veteran

Old 01-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #74
I subscribe to Revscene

Mui Garden in richmond is pretty clutch if you're in a rush. I'd drink that curry straight out of the bowl! $10 gets you a decent portion of curry beef brisket + cold drink.

The one on main is not so good. Haven't been to the one on victoria in a while.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #75

Tried Fire Bird in Richmond the other day and got the black pepper chicken on rice and a baked pork chop on rice. Good portion and great taste plus the service even though it was take-out was excellent, as excellent a HK Style cafe could get. With that said, I'll have to give it a few more tries. I've tried many places before where the first time was great and then the experience never stayed consistent s here's hoping.