REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-24-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Car Accident how to retrieve parts?

I was involved in a collision last night, had a girl pull out from a parking lot in front of me. Car is most likely written off as all the air bags went off and lots of damage to the front.

Police at the scene would not allow me to tow the car home so it went to the impound lot in the ridge.

Wondering are we able to remove parts before its sent to scrap and how? Or are these some how factored into the final off.
Im looking to remove rear suspension, ha sport engine mounts and some suspension braces from the vehicle.
Advertisement
6o4allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
this is something you should be discussing with your icbc adjuster. i am assuming you have already made an appointment to see them at your nearest claim centre. they will want your police file number so that they can go get your car out of impound.

depending on what they decide upon with the status of your car and claim, they will either pay you out (bring receipts) or let you tow it wherever you want within reason so you can pull your stuff out, just as long as you replace them with oem.

if it is totalled, don't sign off on the car giving it away to icbc until you have settled on an agreed fair price for your car, so start trolling craigslist to see what your car would have been worth on the market.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-24-2016 at 07:31 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Awesome, the car was a 14 civic si also have the replacement cost insurance if they deem it a loss.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Why couldn't you tow it home? You own it
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4allmotor View Post
Awesome, the car was a 14 civic si also have the replacement cost insurance if they deem it a loss.
good on your part with the replacement cost coverage

how are you healthwise? any injuries? go get yourself checked out by a doctor just in case. tell the doctor what happened and that there could be an icbc injury claim involved so that a report can be generated. my first and hopefully last experience with a (single stage) airbag gave me a light concussion, a black eye and whiplash (yes i was wearing a seatbelt)... i started really feeling the last one a few days later and i ended up losing time from work, which icbc paid for because i saw a doctor about it to back up my claim.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-24-2016 at 07:32 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

The cops said it was going to the impound lot was not in the mood to fight, also plan to go to the doctor today no real pain.

as for the insurance i will be dealing with cdi for the collision so well see what sort of fight im in for
Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You can't pull parts off. If they write it off they own it. All of it. If you buy it back you buy back all of it. I doubt there's going to be any middle ground here.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
You can't pull parts off. If they write it off they own it. All of it. If you buy it back you buy back all of it. I doubt there's going to be any middle ground here.
Not strictly true. You can pull parts off of it before a final price is agreed upon. Any parts you pull must be replaced and reinstalled.

However, if you have replacement value insurance, the price is based on the car as it was when it was given a dollar value. Not minus a few parts here and there, even if it's eventually going to be scraped.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
has something changed in the last decade? because the one time this happened to me i got back my aftermarket wheels, tires and seats provided i put back the stock parts. the agreed value i negotiated with icbc was for my car in base condition.

but this was before replacement value insurance existed, and i don't know how it works with a third party insurer like cdi in this case.

Last edited by thumper; 01-24-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Witness protection

Quote:
The cops said it was going to the impound lot was not in the mood to fight, also plan to go to the doctor today no real pain.

as for the insurance i will be dealing with cdi for the collision so well see what sort of fight im in for
double check with icbc who covers the towing and impound fees. it should be icbc that covers it, but someone i know for some stupid reason had a rough time with a collection agency buster's towing sent to his doorstep saying he needed to pay up because of a paperwork snafu
Old 01-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:

One of the underwriting questions CDI asks (from a broker standpoint) is:

"Has the automobile been modified/rebuilt/salvaged/after-market modification, including engine, interior engine, interior roll cage, ground clearance, tires?"

If you declared your mods and they were approved by an underwriter, you should be fine!
jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
you get a chance to go retrieve anything you left in the car. I was allowed and i took a lot of my aftermarket parts that i didnt need to replace with the original

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Not strictly true. You can pull parts off of it before a final price is agreed upon. Any parts you pull must be replaced and reinstalled.
What if it's something "add on"?

Say a bull bar for a SUV/truck. Or a spoiler that does not come stock w/ the car?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #14
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
If you got replacement value insurance for the car, shouldn't these be questions you asked before you got it or modified the car?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
You may tow it to a shop to have it removed, and tow it back to ICBC. All towing costs will be responsible by the vehicle owner.

I was given that option when my car got hijacked and crashed. Just that all my parts were unsalvageable after I saw it at the yard and decided it wasn't worth the towing and labor to remove and reinstall. Also to put back the stock parts you aren't sure if they'll fit anymore.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #16
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
You may tow it to a shop to have it removed, and tow it back to ICBC. All towing costs will be responsible by the vehicle owner.

I was given that option when my car got hijacked and crashed. Just that all my parts were unsalvageable after I saw it at the yard and decided it wasn't worth the towing and labor to remove and reinstall. Also to put back the stock parts you aren't sure if they'll fit anymore.
Can you tow it to your home to remove the parts or does it have to go to a shop?
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
What if it's something "add on"?

Say a bull bar for a SUV/truck. Or a spoiler that does not come stock w/ the car?
An add on, like a bullbar that doesn't come with the car, doesn't need to be replaced. It's just like if you have a sub in the trunk or gauges on your a-pillar. They aren't stock, so ICBC typically doesn't care if you pull 'em. However, if it's something like an a-pillar trim piece, you have to replace it with a stock part.

Modified vehicles that have special coverage due to the modifications, however, are required to be kept whole (as far as I can remember). The reasoning is that you've insured the car for x-amount based on the car as-is, so pulling parts off it will then devalue the car and, thus, void the price it was assessed at.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

They gave me back the winter tires after I bring in the stock ones.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #19
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
I was able to tow the car to my designated area and have the parts removed. It can be a shop or your house it doesn't matter. They give you a deadline date to tow the car back to their icbc lot.
Parts will need to be replaced with OEM or other replacement/aftermarket parts. You can replace your 4000 dollar wheels with bent pos steel wheels for all they care
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,331 Times in 213 Posts
I second what @jpark said
You can tow it pretty much anywhere it doesnt have to be a shop but there is a deadline.i
You can also pull the parts at ICBC lot, you just have to bring tools.

My Bcaa membership played a big role. Was able to tow it to my spot and then back for no extra charge. Then got my hands dirty and replace the parts myself.

In my case it was worth it. I can see it being not worth it if you have to rely on a shop and pay 90-120 per- hour for the labor.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
^ Not sure if they changed it but when my Miata was totalled back in 2010 they wouldn't let me take parts off it in the lot UNLESS if I had a licensed mechanic come do it. Something to do with Worksafe and WCB etc.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
Why couldn't you tow it home? You own it
It probably has to do with the fact the tow company is paid by ICBC a set rate to tow it from the crash location to their impound (and set rates then to the claim centre, body shop, salvage, etc). If you ask to tow the car to a 3rd party unsecured location, but ICBC is paying the bill, it opens up a mess of paperwork. Just my guess though.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,331 Times in 213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
^ Not sure if they changed it but when my Miata was totalled back in 2010 they wouldn't let me take parts off it in the lot UNLESS if I had a licensed mechanic come do it. Something to do with Worksafe and WCB etc.
Thats weird because i helped my friend pulled parts of the lot (2012)
Although we was at school at that time for apprenticeship but they never asked us IIRC
Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #24
Need my Daily Fix of RS

yup just spoke to the shop its going to if its deemed a total loss i am able to tow it to a shop/home to remove parts and return it to stock
Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #25
Witness protection

have you talked with CDI yet? just curious...