REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Selling car to US Resident?

The process is now being reversed since 2007 due to our loonie being the lowest in the past 12 years.

Does anyone has experience selling car to US Resident?

Please enlighten me on this
Thanks!
Advertisement

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Just did it this weekend. The US buyer must have bill of sale + title signed by you and must also purchase a 1 day permit from ICBC to get it into the states. The buyer(or seller; unless condition noted) must also ensure that it will pass all smog tests and vehicle inspections in order to resell in the states as well.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Just did it this weekend. The US buyer must have bill of sale + title signed by you and must also purchase a 1 day permit from ICBC to get it into the states. The buyer(or seller; unless condition noted) must also ensure that it will pass all smog tests and vehicle inspections in order to resell in the states as well.
Any difficulties selling a modified vehicle? Does it have to pass smog / inspection for the buyer to use? Plann8ng on selling my car as well but it's heavily modified and catless.
Renegade1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:00 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
That's for the US buyer to worry about, not you.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I was going to put up a post in the next few weeks as my 1990 CRX will likely be heading to the USA. (Ebay sale) Many Americans are not familiar with importing so it is a good idea to learn the ins and outs to assist your buyer with the process.

Speedstars when you say "title" do you mean the registration slip at the bottom that you sign and tear off and give to the buyer?

Keep in mind if the car is 25 years or older DOT and EPA requirements do not apply. If it is under 25 years, a manufacturer letter stating the car conforms to US standards will have to be provided to CBP when your buyer crosses the border. This can take some time to acquire.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-vehicle-parts

More info:
https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...e-from-canada/

Last edited by TouringTeg; 01-25-2016 at 09:22 AM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

For you to import the vehicle is

MUST HAVE

-EPA sticker which can usually be found under the hood of the vehicle.

-DOT certification on compliance sticker which is usually in the door on the vehicle. DOT certification of compliance means the vehicle is compliant with all safety regulation some vehicles you may have to swap crash bumpers. Finding a DOT sticker on a Canadian car is rare so you will have to call the manufacturer of the car and ask for them to send you one or find out if it is compliant. Note: It is US mandate since 2007 that every car sold un the USA must have tire pressure monitors so if your vehicle is 2007 and newer and doesn't have them...well sorry to say but good luck because all parts need to be OEM and you will have to rip your car apart and rewire everything.

Once you have your vehicle all certified and make the sale the buyer from the states will have to permit the car for one day and drive it across. They will do a full inspection of the vehicle to make sure nothing is being smuggled across and also look for the compliance stickers. If your vehicle didn't have a DOT sticker and their was work you needed to perform the manufacturer will send you a letter saying it is no compliant because of 1,2,3 to make it compliant you will just need to keep the work order and receipt from the shop to show them that it was done and they will accept that. You also need to sign over a bill of sale etc. This is also for tax reasons when they insure the car on their side.

There is also a website link that will list all vehicles that are not conforming to their rules and you cannot import them no matter what. Make sure your car is not on this list
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...elig050108.pdf

Other then that its pretty easy.
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
I was just going to post something similar to this so thanks to op.

So if I have a vehicle that was from the states originally, and I'm selling it back to an American resident, can I drive it down there to sell it and just transfer down there? Or would they still need to come up here and do it all as per usual?
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz View Post

So if I have a vehicle that was from the states originally, and I'm selling it back to an American resident, can I drive it down there to sell it and just transfer down there? Or would they still need to come up here and do it all as per usual?
They have to come up here and declare them importing the vehicle when they cross the boarder
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
What if said vehicle is a 25 year old foreign import? Anyhing different?

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz View Post

No! Do not drive the car across the border under any circumstances! You could be charged and banned from entering the US. The buyer would have to drive it across the border, or hire a broker/shipper to do this for them.

Source: Happened to an acquaintance at work.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
No! Do not drive the car across the border under any circumstances! You could be charged and banned from entering the US. The buyer would have to drive it across the border, or hire a broker/shipper to do this for them.

Even if you tell the agent at the border of your intentions that you are driving the car down to sell?
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

It is possible to transport the car down as a Canadian for sale to an American, but oh boy you better have all your i's dotted and t's crossed in the correct manner. To do this your buyer will require a customs broker, and you the Canadian are no longer acting as the 'seller', but rather as an "importer". Which means you use the commercial crossing, with the transport trucks, and you better damned well know what you're doing because the border guards on that side do NOT provide lessons.

Been there, done that, twice. Won't be doing it again. In both cases it was selling cars to close friends in L.A., so against my better judgement I brought the cars over for them. Would never, ever, in a million years do it for anyone whom I didn't consider such a close friend they're my brother.

Oh, and you best be towing it if you're going to import it into the USA on someone's behalf.

Seriously, it's just not worth doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
Even if you tell the agent at the border of your intentions that you are driving the car down to sell?
That right there is a fast track to the rubber glove and a whole lot of berating by a customs official / border patrol officer. You do NOT take a vehicle down to the USA with the intention of selling it. You ONLY transport a vehicle across the border which has already been sold, acting as the importer not the seller.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Good to know. Will be selling my EX-US imported car back to America in the coming weeks, will report back on process. I am having the buyer come here and drive it back himself.
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #14
N8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
...That right there is a fast track to the rubber glove...
you literally saved RS butt with your advice
Old 01-31-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
Good to know. Will be selling my EX-US imported car back to America in the coming weeks, will report back on process. I am having the buyer come here and drive it back himself.
Previously registered in the US vehicle will be dead simple for your buyer to import.

-D
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote