REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Romania (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707419-romania.html)

Lomac 02-01-2016 09:56 AM

Romania

So I'm toying with the idea of going to Romania in a few months to check out a concert. However, as I've never been there, nor know anyone who has, I'm looking to get some information from people who have visited the country. What's good to visit, what are places to avoid, hotels to check out, places to eat, etc., etc.

I know I'd love to check out the Transfagarasan highway but it will likely still be closed at the time of my visit. There's also Transylvania, which might be kinda cool to visit.

Thoughts? Opinions?

unit 02-01-2016 02:19 PM

if you want to blend in dont forget your track suit!

underscore 02-01-2016 02:22 PM

All I can suggest is watch the Top Gear Romanian episode before you go.

Hondaracer 02-01-2016 05:40 PM

a guy i used to work with went to Romania about 2 years ago to see some relatives he had never met

Said for the most part, outside of the beaten path and major city centers, you quickly get to areas where horse and buggy are still being used and paved roads are non existent lol

sounds like an interesting place though and in terms of Europe, it's definitely somthing completely different, even for Eastern europe as far as i've heard

catalin 02-01-2016 10:07 PM

I was born in Galati which is on the south eastern side of the country. I've only been back a couple of times and the last time I went was about 1997 with a Romanian friend of mine. I didn't last 24 hours in the country.. too spoiled with the North American ways.. I would love to go back though with my kids this time.

I'd tour the capital, Transilvania and Constanta which is a town on the coast of the Black Sea. Do your best to fit in and don't flaunt your cash or anything expensive. It seems like there's still quite a bit of corruption.. I'm sure that if you treat everyone with respect and give em a Buna Ziua (good day) or a more casual Ce Faci (how ya doing) then you should be good.. :)

Lomac 02-02-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8722755)
sounds like an interesting place though and in terms of Europe, it's definitely somthing completely different, even for Eastern europe as far as i've heard

That's what I'm sorta hoping for. I've done the whole typical Western Europe thing and, while I enjoyed it immensely, I've always wanted to visit the Eastern countries. The concert I'm contemplating seeing would be a great excuse to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalin (Post 8722842)
I was born in Galati which is on the south eastern side of the country. I've only been back a couple of times and the last time I went was about 1997 with a Romanian friend of mine. I didn't last 24 hours in the country.. too spoiled with the North American ways.. I would love to go back though with my kids this time.

I'd tour the capital, Transilvania and Constanta which is a town on the coast of the Black Sea. Do your best to fit in and don't flaunt your cash or anything expensive. It seems like there's still quite a bit of corruption.. I'm sure that if you treat everyone with respect and give em a Buna Ziua (good day) or a more casual Ce Faci (how ya doing) then you should be good.. :)

lol I'm expecting a bit of a culture shock, I wont lie. Just wasn't sure how much of a change it would be.

bcrdukes 02-02-2016 02:55 PM

I asked a colleague originally from Bucharest:

bcrdukes: "Hey Andreja, when's a good time of year to visit Bucharest?"
Andreja: "Do you want to die?"
/end convo

You'll be fine though. :pokerface:

Hondaracer 02-02-2016 04:09 PM

lol

Lomac 02-02-2016 09:22 PM

:okay:

:lol

catalin 02-03-2016 06:52 AM

I'd love to see some pics if you end up going Lomac.

ForbiddenX 03-01-2017 01:32 PM

Did anyone end up going to Romania? I'll be headed to Romania in March for work and wasn't sure if I wanted to add extra days to go exploring. Is it worth it? I'll be pretty busy Monday->Friday but wasn't sure if I should stay for at least a weekend.