REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Romania

So I'm toying with the idea of going to Romania in a few months to check out a concert. However, as I've never been there, nor know anyone who has, I'm looking to get some information from people who have visited the country. What's good to visit, what are places to avoid, hotels to check out, places to eat, etc., etc.

I know I'd love to check out the Transfagarasan highway but it will likely still be closed at the time of my visit. There's also Transylvania, which might be kinda cool to visit.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,040 Posts
if you want to blend in dont forget your track suit!
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,136 Times in 3,972 Posts
All I can suggest is watch the Top Gear Romanian episode before you go.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,660 Times in 5,805 Posts
a guy i used to work with went to Romania about 2 years ago to see some relatives he had never met

Said for the most part, outside of the beaten path and major city centers, you quickly get to areas where horse and buggy are still being used and paved roads are non existent lol

sounds like an interesting place though and in terms of Europe, it's definitely somthing completely different, even for Eastern europe as far as i've heard
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I was born in Galati which is on the south eastern side of the country. I've only been back a couple of times and the last time I went was about 1997 with a Romanian friend of mine. I didn't last 24 hours in the country.. too spoiled with the North American ways.. I would love to go back though with my kids this time.

I'd tour the capital, Transilvania and Constanta which is a town on the coast of the Black Sea. Do your best to fit in and don't flaunt your cash or anything expensive. It seems like there's still quite a bit of corruption.. I'm sure that if you treat everyone with respect and give em a Buna Ziua (good day) or a more casual Ce Faci (how ya doing) then you should be good..
Old 02-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
sounds like an interesting place though and in terms of Europe, it's definitely somthing completely different, even for Eastern europe as far as i've heard
That's what I'm sorta hoping for. I've done the whole typical Western Europe thing and, while I enjoyed it immensely, I've always wanted to visit the Eastern countries. The concert I'm contemplating seeing would be a great excuse to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
I was born in Galati which is on the south eastern side of the country. I've only been back a couple of times and the last time I went was about 1997 with a Romanian friend of mine. I didn't last 24 hours in the country.. too spoiled with the North American ways.. I would love to go back though with my kids this time.

I'd tour the capital, Transilvania and Constanta which is a town on the coast of the Black Sea. Do your best to fit in and don't flaunt your cash or anything expensive. It seems like there's still quite a bit of corruption.. I'm sure that if you treat everyone with respect and give em a Buna Ziua (good day) or a more casual Ce Faci (how ya doing) then you should be good..
lol I'm expecting a bit of a culture shock, I wont lie. Just wasn't sure how much of a change it would be.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,038 Times in 4,523 Posts
I asked a colleague originally from Bucharest:

bcrdukes: "Hey Andreja, when's a good time of year to visit Bucharest?"
Andreja: "Do you want to die?"
/end convo

You'll be fine though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,660 Times in 5,805 Posts
lol
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Old 02-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I'd love to see some pics if you end up going Lomac.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Did anyone end up going to Romania? I'll be headed to Romania in March for work and wasn't sure if I wanted to add extra days to go exploring. Is it worth it? I'll be pretty busy Monday->Friday but wasn't sure if I should stay for at least a weekend.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote