REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Toyota Officially Kills Scion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707444-toyota-officially-kills-scion.html)

inv4zn 02-02-2016 11:17 PM

Toyota Officially Kills Scion

Article:Toyota Gives Scion Brand the Axe

Quote:

After nearly 13 years, Toyota has decided to drop the youth-oriented Scion brand. Despite an attempt last year to rekindle its mojo with two new models, the iA and iM, Scion is closing up shop.
Wonder what happens to the line-up?

As a mid 20's, Toyota doesn't offer a single vehicle I'd consider buying - Scion was the only one that stood out...

The_AK 02-02-2016 11:49 PM

xB was quite popular with senior citizens given its practically so they might do something with that. I hope they adopt the FR-S into their line up as the FT86 but thats just wishful thinking - sales figures tell a different story.

Mr.Stubbz 02-02-2016 11:59 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Truth be told, i never really understood the point of toyota making the scion brand, a majority of the consumers that look into cars never really look at whether a company is a child company of X or w/e. So with that, when people were looking at the lower cost vehicles and came across scion's; with it being a "new and untested" brand, people didnt really know that it was just a rebadged toyota.

Imo, if they just put the models under the toyota name, at least people would've recognized the brand and see it as a quirky styling but reliable toyota car. but oh whells

turbos86 02-03-2016 12:05 AM

Took them long enough.

twitchyzero 02-03-2016 12:18 AM

may be in 25 years a certain US regulation will force them to update the xB with new internals like they're currently doing for new Deloreans

:drunk:

Galactic_Phantom 02-03-2016 01:21 AM

Great, can we finally have the Toyota 86 like the rest of the world instead of the FRS

boostfever 02-03-2016 01:37 AM

Good riddance. The xB and iQ are among the dumbest cars on the road ever.

Ch28 02-03-2016 02:43 AM

Wonder what will be happening to all the resale values

320icar 02-03-2016 05:35 AM

They are still Toyota so I don't see the resale being effected too much. They are still cheaply made junkers regardless

Sunfighter 02-03-2016 06:13 AM

The entire Scion lineup, minus the tC, will be integrated into Toyota's lineup. IE ~ Toyota FR-S, etc.

Toyota to kill Scion brand

Z3guy 02-03-2016 07:07 AM

For a company that built a premium brand like Lexus in 10yrs to compete with Mercedes and BMW is pretty impressive. They obviously failed with Scion, it shows me that Toyota know how to appeal to old people but not young people....

turbos86 02-03-2016 07:09 AM

Official press release from Scion
Scion Brand to Transition to Toyota | Scion

BoostedBB6 02-03-2016 07:13 AM

FR-S will stay along with iM. Both will be rebadged as the GT or GT86 and the iM as the Auris.

The tC is being dc'ed along with the xB which was planned before this was announced.

They will sell FAR better under the Toyota name. Seeing as the iM IS a Corolla HB it will take the place that the Matrix left and the FRS will sell better under the 86/GT86 with all the proper equipment rather than a stripped down version we got.

Looking forward to seeing these models at the training seminars in July.

heleu 02-03-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Stubbz (Post 8723238)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Truth be told, i never really understood the point of toyota making the scion brand, a majority of the consumers that look into cars never really look at whether a company is a child company of X or w/e. So with that, when people were looking at the lower cost vehicles and came across scion's (with it being a "new and untested" brand, people didnt really know that it was just a rebadged toyota.

Imo, if they just put the models under the toyota name, at least people would've recognized the brand and see it as a quirky styling but reliable toyota car. but oh whells

Isn't every Scion sold out of a Toyota dealership? I don't see how people don't make the connection.

Having said that, they clearly failed to reach their target (younger) audience, but that has more to do with content than anything else.

Mr.Stubbz 02-03-2016 09:06 AM

^ people could always mistake it as a smaller car company that toyota simply bought out

when i bought my frs and asked my dad to drive me to the toyota dealership to pick it up, he was asking why i was going to toyota cus he thought i bought a scion and he didnt know that they are the same company/brand essentially.

jinxcrusader 02-03-2016 09:07 AM

I guess you could say

Scionara

BoostedBB6 02-03-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Stubbz (Post 8723318)
^ people could always mistake it as a smaller car company that toyota simply bought out

when i bought my frs and asked my dad to drive me to the toyota dealership to pick it up, he was asking why i was going to toyota cus he thought i bought a scion and he didnt know that they are the same company/brand essentially.

This is EXACTLY why the brand did not do well. People dont know what Scion is but they do know Toyota. If they sold under Toyota to begin with they would have a larger and well established customer base PLUS younger people would still buy the FRS, XB, IM etc from Toyota VS Scion.

It was a very poor marketing scheme.

ZN6 02-03-2016 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxcrusader (Post 8723320)
I guess you could say

Scionara

Made me lol

Lowered_Klass 02-03-2016 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxcrusader (Post 8723320)
I guess you could say

Scionara

I laughed harder than I should have :lol

BUT, you forgot one thing in your post...

ae101 02-03-2016 10:20 AM

till this day, my dad still don't know scion exists and nor do some of my friends

i still remember toyota donate a few cars to well known tuner shops to mod their cars and show case them back in the early days

lot of auto show and magazines had tuned scions

bcrdukes 02-03-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8723262)
They are still Toyota so I don't see the resale being effected too much. They are still cheaply made junkers regardless

They were actually Japanese built. The interiors were nicer in comparison to Toyota, but eventually that changed over a span of a year or two.

Scion didn't make any of their cars financially attractive for any person to buy. Their lowest finance rates were 3.99% while an equivalent Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Mazda had much more attractive financing rates (i.e. 0% or 0.9%)

white rocket 02-03-2016 11:39 AM

I read somewhere that it was against the law for one manufacturer to bring more that a set numbers of models to market under one name. Hence Scion. It allowed them to create an entire brand and bring more models to North America. Perhaps this law is in the U.S.; or some completely made-up BS I read on facebook. Lol!

Either way, I coudn't give a rats fuck about Scion, even though I love Toyota, so I could care less that they are eliminating the brand.

smoothie. 02-03-2016 11:45 AM

Toyota should kill the dealership at the richmond auto mall while they're at it.

I can't even call it bad service cause it was no service at all.

blee123 02-03-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8723388)
Toyota should kill the dealership at the richmond auto mall while they're at it.

I can't even call it bad service cause it was no service at all.

what happened?

Stealthy 02-04-2016 01:27 AM

http://www.imgur.com/ZW1DJma.jpg