REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Hit and Run - Need your help

Hi all,

I don't frequent this forum, but today I am reaching out to the RS community for help in my moment of distress. I own a 2003 Daytona blue Nissan 350z and it was involved in a hit and run yesterday. To be more exact, the accident could have occurred any time between 10:00pm Feb 4th to 8:00pm Feb 5th as I was home the entire day. I was parked in front of my house on Tyne Street and 48th Ave., Vancouver facing North. It seems what had happened was a car that was heading North along Tyne swiped the driver side of my car and hit my driver side fender/wheel.

I found out at 8:00pm last night as I was heading to work and immediately dialed ICBC to file a claim. I did not file one with the police because I'm under the impression that unless I have a lead (witnessed car or plate number), there isn't much they can do.

I'm posting here hoping that someone who frequently drives around that neighbourhood or just so happened to be there yesterday may have witnessed the accident and can step forward to help me identify who the other driver was. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, any advice you have for me at this point would be very helpful as this is the first time I've been involved a hit and run.

Here are some pictures I took just now of my car.

http://imgur.com/a/RAoen
Advertisement

Last edited by dSpaceman; 02-08-2016 at 10:03 PM.
dSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm very sorry to hear. That's a really nice 350Z, I really like the colour.

I witnessed a hit and run in Vancouver, called VPD non-emerg and they told me, "Call ICBC." I believe VPD policy on hit and run is just deal with ICBC, no file. I even had the plate # and everything. I ended up creating an ICBC file over the phone and leaving my info on the struck car as a witness. Different cities have different protocols, but if I am not mistaken, that's VPD's. Just to be sure, you can try calling them at 604-717-3321.

From the pictures, it looks as if the tire is rubbing the fender. If it's not driveable, tell ICBC and they'll arrange to have it towed to be estimated. Do not try and fix any damage yourself. Next step is to ask your neighbours around you if they have surveillance cameras to see if they could capture anything. If they're not home, maybe a note in the mailbox "Hi I'm Bob Smith from 123 Main street, my car was hit & ran, if you have cameras and can see who did it, call 604-123-4567" like that.

If somebody has surveillance, and it's clear enough to identify a plate or anything, inform ICBC and get them the footage. If not, looks like you're out the deductible, sadly.

I really hope that somebody can step up and admit to it, or be a witness. But sadly in the event they cannot, you'll have to pay out of pocket the deductible to have it repaired.

Best of luck!
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Pictures doesn't load.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
I'm very sorry to hear. That's a really nice 350Z, I really like the colour.

I witnessed a hit and run in Vancouver, called VPD non-emerg and they told me, "Call ICBC." I believe VPD policy on hit and run is just deal with ICBC, no file. I even had the plate # and everything. I ended up creating an ICBC file over the phone and leaving my info on the struck car as a witness. Different cities have different protocols, but if I am not mistaken, that's VPD's. Just to be sure, you can try calling them at 604-717-3321.

From the pictures, it looks as if the tire is rubbing the fender. If it's not driveable, tell ICBC and they'll arrange to have it towed to be estimated. Do not try and fix any damage yourself. Next step is to ask your neighbours around you if they have surveillance cameras to see if they could capture anything. If they're not home, maybe a note in the mailbox "Hi I'm Bob Smith from 123 Main street, my car was hit & ran, if you have cameras and can see who did it, call 604-123-4567" like that.

If somebody has surveillance, and it's clear enough to identify a plate or anything, inform ICBC and get them the footage. If not, looks like you're out the deductible, sadly.

I really hope that somebody can step up and admit to it, or be a witness. But sadly in the event they cannot, you'll have to pay out of pocket the deductible to have it repaired.

Best of luck!
I figured so about VPD. I haven't moved the car or altered anything, only picked up a ~8 inch piece of my wheel (ouch) from the ground and placed it under the car. Don't want anyone driving over that.

I've already asked around the neighbouring houses. My landlord's surveillance camera only overlooks our front yard. The one next door has a clear view of the entire street but broke recently (just my luck).

I really hope someone steps forward or there really isn't good karma. I've seen multiple accidents unfold before me and have always approached the victims offering my contact information should they need me as a witness. Yet when my car is involved not a single soul was in sight.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Pictures doesn't load.
It won't let me upload the pictures directly for some reason, something about a security token missing. Click the Gyazo link above to see the pictures.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
oh wow i see your car almost every day when i head to work.. i turn up tyne from 49th to go kingsway. always thought it was a nice car. that sucks man! that street has a pretty high amount of traffic too..
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Hopefully you get it sorted out. I see your car parked on the side everyday on the way to work.

My buddy lives near that area, he had the FRS, which also got hit and run parked in front of his house. Tyne street bad luck?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thats a replica Work CR wheel? I'm just assuming at this point.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
have you tried posting signage along that block where it happened?
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #10

Thanks guys, at this point I'm just waiting for ICBC to arrange for someone to come tow my car away for inspection. Those of you who frequent Tyne Street know just how wide that block is. It's a real mystery how someone could manage to drive into my car. I'm willing to bet it was a drunk driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Thats a replica Work CR wheel? I'm just assuming at this point.
They're Vordovens. I would think real Work wheels wouldn't crack that easily, if at all possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
have you tried posting signage along that block where it happened?
I haven't but that's a good idea. Going to draw up some posters now.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Was gonna say doesn't look that bad and then I saw the wheels.

And yeah wide-ass street.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
N8
I STILL don't get it

Damn I see your car almost every day going to work, sad to see a nice one get nipped like that.

Now yesterday I actually remember seeing an 2010+ white Focus ST(?) with (what looked like fresh) blue paint transfer on the lower passenger side door, along with some dents, parked near kingsway and boundary. It had a vinyl carbon fibre hood wrap. No license though unfortunately...wish I had more for you.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #13
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
man the other car must be pretty beat to take out such a big piece of the wheel
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 View Post
Damn I see your car almost every day going to work, sad to see a nice one get nipped like that.

Now yesterday I actually remember seeing an 2010+ white Focus ST(?) with (what looked like fresh) blue paint transfer on the lower passenger side door, along with some dents, parked near kingsway and boundary. It had a vinyl carbon fibre hood wrap. No license though unfortunately...wish I had more for you.
Any info is helpful at this point, thanks. I'm gonna drive around that area and see what I find. Do you remember which side of the intersection that car was on? Can't be Central Park side.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 View Post

If it's the car I'm thinking, I've seen it at Byrne many times. Non-ST Focus with a loud exhaust and some random stickers
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #16
N8
I STILL don't get it

Didn't have a chance to notice any stickers as I was fixated on the shitty wrap... and blue paint that stuck out like a sore thumb

It was parked inside the lot in front of subway @ 3490 kingsway

The driver probably uses the tyne route frequently, well probably not anymore. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/349...d384b831fab2d9
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #17
I don't get it

dang. that sucks. i hope there's a miracle that someone would come forward.

maybe 'invest' in a dash cam that can record while the car is parked.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
dang. that sucks. i hope there's a miracle that someone would come forward.

maybe 'invest' in a dash cam that can record while the car is parked.
Funny thing is my dash cam fried about a month ago after trying to hardwire it. I guess that's what they call irony

Anyone know if I'll be eligible for a courtesy car when they start fixing my car? I was told that I would not get one unless I have coverage for my own vehicle, which I don't.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #19
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSpaceman View Post
Funny thing is my dash cam fried about a month ago after trying to hardwire it. I guess that's what they call irony

Anyone know if I'll be eligible for a courtesy car when they start fixing my car? I was told that I would not get one unless I have coverage for my own vehicle, which I don't.
As long as you have collision on comprehensive on your z any icbc accredited b/s would provide you with there courtesy car or arrange a rental.

Shitty situation but the exact same thing happened to me neighbour, the person just took off by the time I came outside
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 AM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Wow sucks about your situation. To get a courtesy car, you'll have to go to an autoplan broker and buy collision coverage before you bring your car to the bodyshop.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
a few bodyshops still offer free courtesy cars. but demand is high so selection can be difficult. but the shop's quality of work should dictate over freebies first.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #22

Speaking of which, what are some body shops you guys can recommend to me? Whether they can supply a courtesy vehicle is secondary, I'm mainly concerned with quality and pricing. Hoping this fix will be under $2,000 so it won't be a major claim on my car's history report.

That being said, I'm not looking for DK customs quality either.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Speaking of which, what are some body shops you guys can recommend to me? Whether they can supply a courtesy vehicle is secondary, I'm mainly concerned with quality and pricing. Hoping this fix will be under $2,000 so it won't be a major claim on my car's history report.

That being said, I'm not looking for DK customs quality either.
I've had major repairs in the $5000+ range (hard rear enders) done through both Morrey Auto Body and Open Road Autobody with no problems. Nice part is that they're both connected to dealers so chances are they would have experience working on your car and easy access to parts.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
I don't get it

Quote:

you should ask icbc adjuster for hertz rent-a-car details. they have a deal together for a discounted rate if you add on your icbc claim number. but i'm not sure about your insurance or hit and run covers that.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
ICBC rental rate should be around $35+taxes a day. Courtesy rentals are upon approval by the adjusters; you could get a courtesy car without collision or roadstar coverage if you are not at fault and you have a good reason for one. Ie: cant get to work/school without a car. Some bodyshops may give out free rentals as well if they want the business.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote