REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

How to get rid of Phone spammers

If there is one thing I (used to) enjoy is having these guys jump through hoops just to get a "not interested" in the end. Just got a call from 604-352-4389, started with automated message,
"Congratulations you have been chosen to win a 900$ credit with Air canada, press 0 to proceed",
I press 0, music starts playing, couple of seconds later a lady answers,
"are you over 30?"
me:YES,

puts me on hold, 3mins. some guy answers,
I ask him: who are you calling for?
he says: Fly for less.
then he starts talking non stop he says something about flying with them again, i try to stop him, but he keeps on going, i mumble some senseless words then
he asks: "pardon me?",
I tell him: I have never used your services before. Where are you located?
he replies: Cancun, Mexico
I ask: What is Fly for less?
Him: A travel agency
Me: What is your agency's license number?
'click' he hung up

But seriously, since january this is the 3rd time, how do they get my number? I have had this number for less than a year, only a handful of people/institutions know it. This is getting out of hand, how do you stop this?

Thanks
Advertisement
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
The first thing is to not answer these calls. Once you do, I'm sure you get flagged, and they'll continue to try your number because you picked up. I don't get many calls on my cell, these days. If I do, it's from someone I know or expect. If I don't recognize the number, it can go to voicemail.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
The first thing is to not answer these calls. Once you do, I'm sure you get flagged, and they'll continue to try your number because you picked up. I don't get many calls on my cell, these days. If I do, it's from someone I know or expect. If I don't recognize the number, it can go to voicemail.
I thought so too, but i can't not answer numbers I do not recognize.

BTW I found a Do Not Call List online application from the CRTC, they claim 30 days before it is fully effective, what baffles me is why isn't this default -> https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/verins-chkreg-eng
check your number, if not registered apply for it, let's see if that works
Old 02-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Does not work as they have automated dialers that force dials every number in sequence. Even if you don't pick up, if your voicemail picks up, it counts as a pick up. Most phones have call blocking now but it just automatically declines a call but can still go to your voicemail.

Do-Not-Call lists don't work very well anymore either as they only stop actual people making calls to think twice about calling you if you're lucky. Ever get added to a group on whatsapp, get spammed and then they kick you out of the group? Do-Not-Call lists does not prevent that on whatsapp. They don't stop text messages either from random area codes.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Call me crazy but I take a little bit of pleasure in fucking with telemarketers. My wife just hands me the phone and depending on my mood I'll either start off berating them or I'll play along before telling them to fuck off. It's the simple things in life that make the day's a little bit brighter.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
IIRC, there is a no call list website from the CRTC or something

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinico View Post
I thought so too, but i can't not answer numbers I do not recognize.

BTW I found a Do Not Call List online application from the CRTC, they claim 30 days before it is fully effective, what baffles me is why isn't this default -> https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/verins-chkreg-eng
check your number, if not registered apply for it, let's see if that works
The DNCL is a complete fucking failure of a system as companies outside the country can somehow acquire the lists. I put my number on there when it first came out, and the frequency of calls from telemarketers increased.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
The DNCL is like a list for foreign spammers that ensures there's no local competition.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Likewise, if it ain't my wife or family calling it can't be that important and if it's they can leave a voicemail.

It used to be much easier as most of the garbage was from 1800 numbers but I've been noticing more and more from local area codes which I'm sure have made more people be likely to pick up but I still say fuck it, don't have your number and or caller ID doesn't show what business or person is calling then fuck you.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

who else read OP's user name as "Timpo" at first ?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

dont sign up for free shit,, and u will not get on any call lists

when u sign up for "win this" and other "lucky draw" with ur phone numbers. these companies, in turn sell this list to various marketing companies and thats how u get on telemarketing call lists.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
...Just got a call from 604-352-4389, started with automated message, ...
Does your number also contain 352?

Lately, when I get calls just like the one you got, the first three digits after the area code match my first three digits as well. Makes it easy to recognize and ignore.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I don't think i've had automated dialers but I had some weird fucking thing add me to a whatsapp group of like 50 other random people that got added into this group. It's just a spam group but I wondered how it got my number. There isn't exactly a way on WhatsApp to disable randoms from adding you to groups either.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Oldie but a goldie.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Guy creates a bot to fuk with telemarketers!

Today's Hero Made an AI That Annoys Telemarketers For As Long As Possible

cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #17
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
the national do not call list is useless as its a canadian only thing, so that means if the caller is calling from outside of canada, they can call u even if ur on that list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #18
I don't get it

Quote:
If there is one thing I (used to) enjoy is having these guys jump through hoops just to get a "not interested" in the end. Just got a call from 604-352-4389, started with automated message,
"Congratulations you have been chosen to win a 900$ credit with Air canada, press 0 to proceed",
I press 0, music starts playing, couple of seconds later a lady answers,
"are you over 30?"
me:YES,

puts me on hold, 3mins. some guy answers,
I ask him: who are you calling for?
he says: Fly for less.
then he starts talking non stop he says something about flying with them again, i try to stop him, but he keeps on going, i mumble some senseless words then
he asks: "pardon me?",
I tell him: I have never used your services before. Where are you located?
he replies: Cancun, Mexico
I ask: What is Fly for less?
Him: A travel agency
Me: What is your agency's license number?
'click' he hung up

But seriously, since january this is the 3rd time, how do they get my number? I have had this number for less than a year, only a handful of people/institutions know it. This is getting out of hand, how do you stop this?

Thanks
Iuno how to stop it either, I get it too. But I know your number must start with 352 .
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #19
HELP ME PLS!!!

if you have a smartphone, you can add it to your block, or do not answer list.

For me, it took me about 6 months to stop getting calls after adding the telemarketers numbers.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

It's my policy now to not answer calls from numbers that are very similar to my own number. Spammer spoofs number in reference to your number to trick you into thinking it's a local number so you'll answer.
turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

tell them that you are with their mom right now and she agrees that you should get a real job...hahaha

kidding aside, try truecaller app
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 PM   #22
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Don't press any buttons on those automated calls! What a lot of them do is charge you enormous 3rd party long distance connection fees, anywhere from $2.50 to $25. Telus/Rogers will not remove those when it shows up on your bill because they are just passing the charges back to you.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:42 AM   #23
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Your phone doesn't have a blacklist?

I can put any number I want on blacklist and if I ever get calls from them, my phone doesn't even go into the "incoming call" or missed call.
The only way I know they called is if I check the call history log. I also set private numbers to be auto blacklisted.

I also set my phone to only "ring" if it's from someone in my contact list. Otherwise, it will just be a silent "incoming call".

I have a OnePlus One, but it's probably a standard feature on most modern Android phones, and maybe iPhone too? Not sure about the iPhones features...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Your phone doesn't have a blacklist?

I can put any number I want on blacklist and if I ever get calls from them, my phone doesn't even go into the "incoming call" or missed call.
The only way I know they called is if I check the call history log. I also set private numbers to be auto blacklisted.

I also set my phone to only "ring" if it's from someone in my contact list. Otherwise, it will just be a silent "incoming call".

I have a OnePlus One, but it's probably a standard feature on most modern Android phones, and maybe iPhone too? Not sure about the iPhones features...
It does not stop the fact you still have to answer to find out if it is spam, then you can add the number. It is also creepy the 352 thing. And currently I have to answer the phone no matter what number comes up due to calls i am expecting but not those though.
I just find it horrible that I recently moved here and the people/institutions that know my number are very few, and I have never applied for anything free, I am quite paranoid about these things.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #25
HELP ME PLS!!!

How many phone numbers you think these spammers have?