REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Question about blood and urine test

Hi,

I am thinking of having regular blood and urine tests as I turn into 30s. Maybe once every 6 to 12 months should be enough for me. I could search out lots LifeLabs around my house and I am just wondering if I can just go get a test without a doctor's note. Can I just book an appointment online without doctor's note and choose what tests I want in the office while visiting? Would it be covered by MSP?

Thanks in advance

ninetontruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need a doctor's note to get that tested.

I get tested every 30 days due to my illness so I'm pretty sure you need it. FYI, lifelabs are all online now and you can pre-book your appointments.

just go to your doctors and say you want to get physical check up, blood and urine and start doing it every yr, shouldn't have any issues. PS. if you're trying to test ur urine, you might have to fast 10 hrs before. just fyi.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
I'm pretty sure you need a doctor's note to get that tested.

I get tested every 30 days due to my illness so I'm pretty sure you need it. FYI, lifelabs are all online now and you can pre-book your appointments.

just go to your doctors and say you want to get physical check up, blood and urine and start doing it every yr, shouldn't have any issues. PS. if you're trying to test ur urine, you might have to fast 10 hrs before. just fyi.
I think the fasting is for blood glucose levels... but in any case always, always do it early in the morning.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
You need a physician's requisition in order to get lab testing. While some labs may offer online booking, they will turn you away if you do not have a physician's requisition. No, you do not get to select whatever tests you want done. The decision is up to the physician.

The only cravat is that some private labs may allow you to self-pay for testing if you are do not meet MSP criteria for testing. However, this still requires a physician's order.

Most urine tests do not require you to be fasting.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
You need a physician's requisition in order to get lab testing. While some labs may offer online booking, they will turn you away if you do not have a physician's requisition. No, you do not get to select whatever tests you want done. The decision is up to the physician.

The only cravat is that some private labs may allow you to self-pay for testing if you are do not meet MSP criteria for testing. However, this still requires a physician's order.

Most urine tests do not require you to be fasting.
When I got my blood test several months ago, I asked my family doctor to tick down the tests I want done. If you ask nicely, I'm sure they'll do it. It costs them nothing, benefits them no more or less, only helps you.

Blood tests require requisition from your physician and most doctors/physician use BC BioMed. The only blood test that I know of that doesn't require requisition is STI/STD testing.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Question about blood and urine test

I work in a medical lab and just like the people above, I can tell you that a doctor's requisition is required. Certain tests require fasting, many don't; your doctor will let you know of any pre-testing requirements.

You can bring the req to either a BC Bio or Lifelabs, they're actually the same company.
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
I don't get it

You will need to see your family physician and go from there.
They will usually asses you based on history and tell you if every 6-12 months is necessary.
They also give you the referral form to get a urine test + blood test for whatever it is you want to check.
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Thanks guys!
ninetontruck is offline   Reply With Quote