REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Tesla Model 3 first look coming March 31 as pressures mount

Tesla Model 3 first look coming March 31 as pressures mount - Roadshow

Quote:
The paint is barely dry on the first batch of Tesla Model X crossover SUVs, and the automaker's attention is already shifting to the Model 3, its long-awaited entry-level model.

On a shareholder call Wednesday, Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed the company will reveal more details about its pivotal new model on March 31, at which point showrooms will begin accepting $1,000 reservations. It's worth noting that the placeholder fee is markedly less expensive than the $5,000 required to get in line for the $80,000 Model X. Online reservations for the Model 3 will fire up on April 1, with Tesla insisting it will start deliveries in 2017.

The Model 3 can't come soon enough. While sales of Tesla's 4-year-old Model S were up last year, Model X production has been slow to ramp up, and in either case, the company is hemorrhaging money.

Tesla lost $889 million last year -- a record -- partially due to new model development costs and partially due to construction costs associated with its Nevada-based battery Gigafactory. Tesla has lost money for each of the last eight years. As of late, shareholders have been punishing the company's stock price, which closed at $150.43 Thursday, up nearly 5 percent but well off its 52-week high of $286.65 in July.

Elon Musk, co-founder and CEO of Tesla Motors.
Getty Images
It isn't immediately clear if Tesla will reveal the Model 3 in full next month, and details remain murky. The car is expected to be roughly the size of a BMW 3 Series (read: compact), and take on cars like Nissan's Leaf and GM's forthcoming Chevrolet Bolt, which is also expected to have in excess of 200 miles of range.

If Tesla's Model X delivery schedule is anything to go by, it's not clear how quickly reservation-holders will be able to park a Model 3 in their driveway. The Silicon Valley automaker promised to start Model X production in 2015, which it did -- barely. Although deliveries began in September, just 206 examples found homes in 2016, and production remains at a trickle.

It's also not clear how expensive the Model 3 will be when it arrives. Musk confirmed on Twitter that production won't start with a pricier Signature Series a la Model S and X, and officials have repeatedly insisted that the car will start at as little as $35,000. Federal and state tax credits promise to slash as much as $13,500 from that bottom line, which would make the Model 3 the company's first truly affordable automobile.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 02-12-2016 at 10:18 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Its my opinion that this is the car that will be the one to change everything. $35,000 for full electric and 400kms of range which most of us would expect to get north of 300kms out of it making it practical for probably 75%+ of the population that can afford it. BC government also has a $5,000 rebate on full electric vehicles putting it right at the price of cars like the Audi A3 and under the price of a BMW 3 series or Mercedes CLA.
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Game changer for sure. Full electric for $35k, nor bad at all
Old 02-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Witness protection

i wonder if our charging network could support the volume should the predicted popularity become true. the charging stations where i work are already sometimes overflowing with volts, leafs and the occasional model s even though there are restrictions on charging time.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 02-12-2016 at 01:58 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
^^exactly what I was thinking. Great car, great price point, but if there's no where to "fill up" then it's kinda useless.

On a side note, my father has been on the Telsa X list for like 5 years and he's now in San Diego doing his first test drive. His ego would like him to be the first to get one here in Vancity. Would be kinda cool.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Has it been confirmed that its 35K CAD?
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEch View Post
Has it been confirmed that its 35K CAD?
this article came from a US website so it's $35k USD
Old 02-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
I don't get it

I believe that' 35,000 USD, at least that's what is listed on US websites.

My guess is roughly 45-50k here...
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrrz View Post
Its my opinion that this is the car that will be the one to change everything. $35,000 for full electric and 400kms of range which most of us would expect to get north of 300kms out of it making it practical for probably 75%+ of the population that can afford it. BC government also has a $5,000 rebate on full electric vehicles putting it right at the price of cars like the Audi A3 and under the price of a BMW 3 series or Mercedes CLA.
Yeah, Tesla has been changing my opinion on electric cars.

I think that if this Model 3 is as quick, fun to drive, and practical as something like my Speed 3 and priced in the 30-40K range I'd be all over it.

It's more than just saving gas, it's the lower maintenance and hassle. It's extremely rare that I'd ever need to drive more than 400kms a day, so I can just charge at night. And of course, I always have the truck if I need a vehicle with more range.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #10
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Another consideration to look into is if you live in a condo/strata to check if they will let you charge your vehicle in the parking garage. A number of stratas don't.

No charge: Couple forced to move because of electric vehicle | CTV Vancouver News
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
i want something that has at the very least 300 mile range because you have to remember batteries will start holding less and less charge.

estimated battery costs: Tesla Battery In The Model S Costs "Less Than A Quarter" Of The Car In Most Cases - Inside EVs
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
Another consideration to look into is if you live in a condo/strata to check if they will let you charge your vehicle in the parking garage. A number of stratas don't.

No charge: Couple forced to move because of electric vehicle | CTV Vancouver News
or....you could just sell the car ....

$500k house? or $50k car

yes let's uproot ourselves because we have no place to charge our car
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:01 AM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
or....you could just sell the car ....

$500k house? or $50k car

yes let's uproot ourselves because we have no place to charge our car
From the way it was presented, I think they're just renting. They approached 7 stratas to accommodate their car. It would be cheaper to just move at that point. Honda, Toyota are working on wireless charging stations. These plug in stations are already dinosaur technology.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #14

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
^ why need wireless charging station, when there is wireless charging road

asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #15
Witness protection

nice, but in vancouver knowing how mayor moonbeam's mind works, it will always be spending on bike lanes, not wireless charging roads.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
nice, but in vancouver knowing how mayor moonbeam's mind works, it will always be spending on bike lanes, not wireless charging roads.
Sadly our mayor despises all cars regardless of their power source, so he's not all that committed to any 4-wheel infrastructure. It might impede his bike rides somehow.

I've seen some separated bike lanes down such vacant and empty roads that I had to laugh and ask "why?", especially when they make the road insanely narrow for vehicles.

I don't think the province is that committed either; they get their revenue from the gasoline tax and they wanna keep it that way. They have a $5,000 rebate but it's often picked clean and not replenished.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #17
Witness protection

i get that cars contribute to congestion and pollution in the downtown core, but not everyone can bicycle or take transit all the way from outside the gvrd.

my dad is looking at getting a hybrid rav4. sadly he was told that the rebates only now apply to pure electrics or plug in hybrids, because of the argument that retail prices for regular hybrids have dropped enough to not warrant rebates in the eyes of the gov't.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #18
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yeah, Tesla has been changing my opinion on electric cars.

I think that if this Model 3 is as quick, fun to drive, and practical as something like my Speed 3 and priced in the 30-40K range I'd be all over it.

It's more than just saving gas, it's the lower maintenance and hassle. It's extremely rare that I'd ever need to drive more than 400kms a day, so I can just charge at night. And of course, I always have the truck if I need a vehicle with more range.
my speed3 only gets 340kms per tank which is kinda embarrassing. so i actually have the same thought you have.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #19
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Does anyone have any insight on cold weather and electric cars? I know cold batteries have a severely limited capacity and poor function. Would these cars be suitable for cold climate areas?

Berz out.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
i get that cars contribute to congestion and pollution in the downtown core, but not everyone can bicycle or take transit all the way from outside the gvrd.

my dad is looking at getting a hybrid rav4. sadly he was told that the rebates only now apply to pure electrics or plug in hybrids, because of the argument that retail prices for regular hybrids have dropped enough to not warrant rebates in the eyes of the gov't.
It has.
- RAV4 AWD XLE - Starting from $31,900
- RAV4 AWD Limited - $37,750
- RAV4 Hybrid XLE - $34,715
- RAV4 Hybrid Limited - $38,515

I know it's not exactly apples to apples, and there's some features difference when I last compared it....but when you look at the two Limited's price, it's fairly similar already.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

just bumping this as it will get announced tomorrow
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #22
Witness protection

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/03...t-minute-leak/

Quote:
Tesla is set to unveil its latest car, the Model 3 on March 31, but we still don’t know much about the affordable electric vehicle. Very little has leaked in the lead-up to the company’s big reveal, but a last minute report from Electrek may have spilled the beans.

Two standout features for the Model 3 will allegedly be the ability to go from 0-60mph in under four seconds, and an impressive range of over 300 miles per charge. However, it looks like these high-end specs may be limited to more expensive versions of the car. Tesla is expected to offer the new EV for as little as $25,000 with tax incentives included, but high-end variants could cost as much as $50,000-$60,000.

The most expensive version of the Model 3 could even outdo the Model S when it comes to battery range. Tesla may offer an 80kWh, which would make it possible to drive for almost five hours straight – nearly 364 miles – without needing to charge. That’s better than the Model S 90D, which can hit 288 miles per charge.

The report also offers a bit more information on the Model 3’s mysterious design, which a source describes as “sexy and sporty,” adding that “it seems so right.” The car apparently looks like a hybrid of the Model X and Model S design, though the front is closer to the Model X in style. Additionally, Wired Germany has published an alleged image of the Model 3 hiding under a black cloth.

Tesla is set to unveil the Model 3 tomorrow. You can reserve the new car as soon as it’s announced, but it won’t actually be ready until at least late 2017.

Last edited by thumper; 03-30-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #23
Witness protection

Elon Musk wanted to name his Model 3 Model E so Tesla?s brands would spell SEX. This and other secrets about his newest car | Financial Post

Elon Musk wanted to name his Model 3 Model E so Tesla’s brands would spell SEX. This and other secrets about his newest car

Tom Randall, Bloomberg News | March 30, 2016 3:58 PM ET
More from Bloomberg News
There are reports that the Tesla 3, Elon Musk's entry level car that will be unveiled Thursday, is based on the Audi 4 and the BMW 3 series.

Tesla is getting ready for its biggest-ever unveiling: the Model 3, the US$35,000& sedan designed to take electric cars mainstream. As the fateful date approaches, the company has been dropping hints about what to expect from a project that has been a decade in the making. With just one day left before the big show, here’s everything we know, as well as a few things we’ll be watching for on March 31:

Roomy, like an Audi A4

The Model 3 will be about 20 per cent smaller than the Model S, or roughly the size of an Audi A4, said chief executive officer Elon Musk. The A4 is a five-seater that feels a bit roomier than some of its rivals in the compact luxury category. (The Model 3 will compete with BMW’s 3 series in the class of entry luxury cars). Backseat riders might gain some leg room because an electric drive-train obviates the need for a transmission tunnel, the hump in the middle of the floor. There’s also no engine in an electric car, and Tesla likes to use that empty space for a “frunk” — front trunk — for extra storage. Will that feature survive in the smaller Model 3?

Ready to ride

The Model 3 is now the company’s top priority and is “going to be probably the most profound car that we make,” according to Musk. At this week’s event, a working prototype will be ready onsite to take reporters for “a quick spin,” according to invitations sent out March 15. Musk had previously indicated he might not show the full car, which won’t officially go on sale until late 2017. It will be interesting to see how “finished” the prototype is and determine how much is still being worked out.

Mini Model S?

The biggest unknown about the Model 3 is its look. Will it have the distinctive oval front end of the Model S or the tight-lipped mouth of the Model X? What about those huge windshields? Tesla may have given a clue with the invitations, which feature pictures of the Model S, the Model X, and a silhouette in place of the Model 3.

As some Tesla watchers have pointed out, the silhouette is a perfect match for the Model S. So was the image just a Photoshop trick, or will the Model 3 look very much like a shorter version of the Model S? When asked via e-mail if the company would like to clarify, a Tesla spokesperson simply replied: “Ha.”

Related
Wall Street tours Tesla factory — and loves what it sees — as company poised to release its first mass-market car
In California, these minivans-turned-RVs take car camping to the next level
PDAC 2016: How lithium has become a rare winner amid the commodity slaughter
A reservation for 3

Tesla is reportedly already taking reservations from employees looking to buy the Model 3 and will offer the rest of us the same chance at its showrooms on the morning of March 31, before the unveiling. Online reservations at the newly acquired domain Tesla.com begin at the start of the event — 8:30 p.m. West Coast time. A deposit of US$1,000 is required up front, but it’s refundable at any time.

Get in line

Even if Tesla’s late 2017 delivery goal is successful — a big if, given the company’s record of missing deadlines — it could still be a while before production ramps up. Whenever deliveries start, reservations from previous Tesla owners and those buying highly optioned versions of the car will be first in line. In other words, get those deposits in as soon as you can if you want a Model 3 in the near future.

No Signature Series

Unlike Tesla’s premium luxury cars, the Model 3 won’t come in a souped-up Signature Series. Don’t worry, though. The carmaker will still be happy to take your money for upgrades, possibly including a bigger battery, all-wheel drive, autopilot, and ludicrous speed. In February, Musk expressed regret over how a hefty US$140,000 Signature Series price tag became associated with the Model X SUV before the rollout of the US$80,000 base version. Tesla has been careful to brand the new Model 3 as a US$35,000 car and will want to keep it that way, even if the average bill ends up closer to US$50,000.

Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated Press
Marcio Jose Sanchez/Associated PressTesla's Model X SUV.

Free range

Tesla promises a range of at least 200 miles (322 kilometres) per charge. If it offers the same 60 kilowatt hour lithium-ion battery pack planned for the 2017 Chevy Bolt, its range could beat that mile-marker considerably, based on the Model 3’s small size and the performance of other, larger Teslas. It’s even conceivable that Tesla could meet its 200-mile goal with a cheaper 50 kWh pack. On the flip side, upgrades could allow for batteries as big as the 90 kWh pack currently available on the Model S.

There will only be one (for now)

Despite some speculation to the contrary, only one car is to be unveiled this week: the Model 3 sedan. Rumors circulated that Tesla might also announce a crossover vehicle, but the company says this event will focus exclusively on the Model 3. The Model 3’s skateboard chassis will be used for additional models later, beginning with the popular crossover class, according to the company. (One person not likely to be seen at the Model 3 unveiling: Tesla’s former chief spokesman, Ricardo Reyes. He left the company just two weeks before the unveiling; neither Reyes nor the company has offered an explanation.)

All-new platform

This will be Tesla’s third auto platform: the Roadster, the Model S and X, and now the Model 3. To make the Model 3 affordable and adaptable, Tesla had to start from the ground up. “For better or worse, most of Model 3 has to be new,” Chief technology officer JB Straubel said in October. “It’s a new battery architecture, it’s a new motor technology, brand new vehicle structure. It’s a lot of work.” Straubel, Musk, and Jason Wheeler, Telsa’s new chief financial officer, have stressed how much the Model 3 has been designed for ease of manufacturing in order to move quickly and cheaply into mass production numbers. Question: How much of the car will be made of lightweight aluminum vs. cheaper steel?

Justin Chin/Bloomberg News
Justin Chin/Bloomberg NewsElon Musk, founder of Tesla Motors, has said In addition to being "a slightly smaller version of the Model S," the Model 3" won't have quite as many bells and whistles."
About those new batteries

The new battery’s composition will particularly interest electric vehicle watchers because it accounts for a third of each car’s price tag. Any significant improvements in cost or energy density could help push the entire industry forward. In a February earnings call, Musk assured investors that Tesla’s massive battery factory in Nevada is on schedule and will be producing both battery cells and finished packs by the end of this year. “You shouldn’t worry about the Gigafactory as a constraint,” Musk said.

At what price?

The basic Model 3& will cost US$35,000 before government incentives, which in the U.S. range from US$7,500 to more than US$13,000, depending on the state. Tesla’s federal incentives will begin to phase out when the company reaches 200,000 in cumulative U.S. sales — probably in 2018, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. That could reduce the chance of anyone getting their hands on a Tesla for less than US$30,000, as initial deliveries will be for pricier versions of the car.

Expect fewer whistles

In addition to being “a slightly smaller version of the Model S,” Musk said in Hong Kong in January, “it won’t have quite as many bells and whistles.” Will the company keep its standard 17-inch dashboard touchscreen? Brake assist? Cupholders? What new tricks might Tesla have up its sleeve?

New factories, coming soon

In addition to the flagship Fremont Factory in California, which the company has been building at a rapid clip, and the battery Gigafactory in Nevada, Tesla aims to open additional Model 3 factories in China and Europe as soon as 2018.

Ellon Musk @elonmusk

Model 3 is due in 2 yrs. A China factory for local demand cd be as soon as a year after. A factory in Europe wd happen for same reason. Twitter: Elon Musk on TwitterAutonomous-Ready

Long warranty

The Model 3 will have a warranty similar to that for the Model S, including an eight-year, infinite-mile, transferable warranty on the battery pack and drive unit, Musk said on Twitter in August 2014. That’s important because Consumer Reports dinged the company last year for reports of excessive drivetrain problems.

Don’t call it the Model III

The car’s logo may be three parallel bars, but don’t call it the Model III, Musk told followers on Twitter. The bars should be horizontal, similar to the stylized “E” in the Tesla logo. That’s no mistake: Musk originally wanted to call it the Model E, which would spell out “SEX” with his full lineup of Model names. He had to settle for “Model 3” because Ford wouldn’t give up the trademark it owns.

Reason for skepticism

The Model S is now the best-selling large luxury vehicle in the U.S. With the Model 3, Tesla will be competing in a much larger, better-established category. No matter how much some electric car enthusiasts care about reducing pollution, good intentions don’t sell category-winning cars. The Model 3 will need to compete on its merits: drivability, reliability, safety, cost, convenience, comfort, and style. Tesla has a good record, but so does its new class of peers.

Bloomberg News
Old 03-30-2016, 02:47 PM   #24

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
Have been waiting for 9hr lol

Last edited by asian_XL; 07-16-2017 at 06:45 AM.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

You line up overnight at Tesla HK for the reseveration ?