REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

going back again in dec...just can't stay away

diving liveaboard, some new beaches and tattoo on the way out
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

folks, better to exchange cad > thb here or in thailand? banks or exchange places in thailand?
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:44 AM   #28
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Grab (their version of Uber) is a lifesaver in Thailand, where taxis VERY often rip tourists off, or don't bother giving you a ride. Most things are very cool in Thailand, very nice, and accommodating for toursits. Taxi drivers are the exception.

Grab will often be cheaper than a taxi in Bangkok (other smaller cities it'll be more) but at the very least, you know exactly what the fare is going to be, and well, you will actually get a ride.

Tuktuks can be OK for very short rides, but are smelly, you breathe in so much pollution, and they can be dangerous
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #29
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallydrv View Post
folks, better to exchange cad > thb here or in thailand? banks or exchange places in thailand?
Use the ATMs. Just withdraw the max amount each time which was 20,000 baht if I remember correctly. They give good rates, basically the same as if you went on Google or VBCE and used their daily conversion.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Yup ATM is the way to go for international currency. Taking a bunch of cash and trading it in is so outdated

You will usually get the middle rate (the one between the currency exchanges' buy and sell rates) plus a minor fee (between $1-5 USD)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Note that on Holidays in Thailand ATM's get depleted for cash. Lots of people taking money out for local holidays, plus no one working to replenish.

I've always just swapped cash at the money exchange (You need your passport). i've always swapped cash in Thailand vs. here.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #32

I did take cad. Seems like exchange it here gets u better rate than vbce etc. And some places were giving 24.30 while some 23.xx. Just shop around.

I did use atm and had to pay xx bhat here as well as 3$ there to bank. Added to about $$13 in feez
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Been three times this year, hope I can lend a hand here.
If you're in Bangkok area, Superrich Currency Exchange (They have a few locations scattered about) was recommended to me and their rates were pretty good. Saw line-ups at a few locations so that's a good sign.
You can always exchange money at one of the larger banks too, but their rates don't seem to be as good. I tried SCB and was given an OK rate. Upside is, you'll be treated to full banking services so sit-down, have some complimentary iced tea and cookies and of course that sweet sweet AC.

If you're going to be on the smaller islands, bring THB with you as the exchanges there will be atrocious. Was offered 22.xx when rate was 24.xx. ATM is also not a good option as the "withdrawal" fees are actually higher the more distant you are from the larger cities.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
AIrport exchange is a rip off too so just get enough for the cab or use lift and exchange in the city.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #35
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Grab was my go-to ride sharing app for Vietnam/Thailand. they are #1 in Southeast Asia I believe since they bought a big chunk of Uber over there

pretty much same shit except you can get points which you can redeem for discounts/free shit from stores/restaurants
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #36

guys looking for a beach (good to swim) to spend 3 nights , not too secluded , good mix of hotels/local food etc. no too crazy. went to Patong last year. didnt' care for it much. can you guys suggest something
Old 11-01-2019, 12:37 AM   #37
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
Use the ATMs. Just withdraw the max amount each time which was 20,000 baht if I remember correctly. They give good rates, basically the same as if you went on Google or VBCE and used their daily conversion.
[reviving an old thread]:

I've found exchanging money at bank kiosks (which are everywhere) give better rates than exchanging in Canada. Of course, always carry a little bit of baht in case you're in the airport and you want to buy a bottle of water or need it for a bus or taxi ride etc.

They ask to see your passport at the bank but they are definitely cheaper.

For example: https://kasikornbank.com/en/Rate/Pag...-Exchange.aspx has a better rate than VBCE (https://www.vbce.ca/)
dutd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

take USD if you're going to do that....100's and 50's get better rates

just use ATM's
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote