REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   used or. new (https://www.revscene.net/forums/707621-used-new.html)

mustang766 02-14-2016 11:07 PM

used or. new

Ill be.finamcing but.it better to.get new lancer base model.auto 0 for 84.months.or second.hand but.pau 4.99% finacing
Is.it better buy used or.new
I.want cheaper deal but.4.99% is lot.interest amd i can pay 84..months amd.0%
I probably put down 5k around

Whats ur thoughts

skiiipi 02-14-2016 11:21 PM

problem with a 84 month finance is that you'll end up with negative equity
so if after 5 or 6 years you want to sell the car
there is a good chance the car will be worth less than that you till owe on it.

try to keep your finance to 48/60 months if you can.

inv4zn 02-14-2016 11:24 PM

It would help if you put the actual price of each car.

Also, financially, buying a second hand car will be better most of the time. But there are benefits to buying new obviously, such as knowing the history of the car, whether someone had sex in your backseats, etc.

But honestly, without knowing your financial situation/reasons, financing a base lancer (which isn't that expensive to begin with) for 84 months sounds like a terrible idea. For nearly all of your loan term you will owe more money than the car is worth (ie. you'll be upside down.) - so when you get T-boned through no fault of your own, ICBC will pay you far less than what you owe.

AzNightmare 02-15-2016 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang766 (Post 8727207)
Ill be.finamcing but.it better to.get new lancer base model.auto 0 for 84.months.or second.hand but.pau 4.99% finacing
Is.it better buy used or.new
I.want cheaper deal but.4.99% is lot.interest amd i can pay 84..months amd.0%
I probably put down 5k around

Whats ur thoughts

The hell is wrong with your keyboard/phone keypad, or whatever you're using to type your post??

:fulloffuck:

Lomac 02-15-2016 12:45 AM

84 month loan?

:heckno:

mos_skeeto 02-15-2016 12:46 AM

That was difficult to read. I agree with skiiipi above where it's usually good to stick to 4-5 years for a finance. Don't look at the % too much. Just calculate how much it'll cost monthly and if you can handle the payments.

If there's no other way other than to do a 8 year finance you're probably buying a car you cannot afford.

Also the Lancer's been out for 8 years and it looks a bit dated. They're also super cheap second hand.

StanleyR 02-15-2016 01:13 AM

Lancer is garbage OP/ Do not buy it regardless of the deal they offer
ANY other car in that category is better!

Mitsubishi Lancer Prices, Reviews and Pictures | U.S. News Best Cars

b0unce. [?] 02-15-2016 05:29 AM

If you're gonna get into a base model lancer with auto transmission, you might as well just buy something else with cash. There's a lot of better options for 5k cash.

SkinnyPupp 02-15-2016 06:40 AM

$5000 down... The car will be worth that much when you're still making payments on it 7 years from now.

Just buy a $5000 used car.

Lomac 02-15-2016 09:15 AM

Yeah, a Lancer is a poor choice. It's a terrible car. Been out for years now and has barely been improved since this generation was introduced. Wasn't good when new and it's simply gotten more and more terrible since then. A $5000 used car will likely yield better choices on Craigslist.

And by base model, are you talking about the DE or SE?

oldsnail 02-15-2016 12:11 PM

Check the craigslist goodbuy's thread/

GLOW 02-15-2016 12:22 PM

probably DE, unless naming has changed over the years...i test drove one a 2008 before. heavy, sluggish...really not a car you want to buy new. not sure if the GTS replacement is any better (i forget what it's called, i think SE???).

i'm with skinny, buy a $5k used car or spend a little more and get something way better than a base lancer

mustang766 02-15-2016 07:29 PM

The se limited 2016 is 24k and 2015 se is 22k includes taxes nand everything.
I make 12 hour.or 1966 month and within 3 months on job will make 2000 month
Reason im.getting car is company moving n fraser way. If i transit it be 1 hour 20 if i drive its like 25 min according to google maps.

QUOTE=inv4zn;8727214]It would help if you put the actual price of each car.

Also, financially, buying a second hand car will be better most of the time. But there are benefits to buying new obviously, such as knowing the history of the car, whether someone had sex in your backseats, etc.

But honestly, without knowing your financial situation/reasons, financing a base lancer (which isn't that expensive to begin with) for 84 months sounds like a terrible idea. For nearly all of your loan term you will owe more money than the car is worth (ie. you'll be upside down.) - so when you get T-boned through no fault of your own, ICBC will pay you far less than what you owe.[/QUOTE]

mustang766 02-15-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsnail (Post 8727344)
Check the craigslist goodbuy's thread/

Craiglist is.good is your got knowledge buying used car. I dont. Im going dealership since its safer route but pay more

GabAlmighty 02-15-2016 07:37 PM

Holy fucking shit. I apologize in advance if you have some sort of a handicap which hinders your ability to punctuate and create coherent sentences... My head is hurting reading your posts my friend.

dared3vil0 02-15-2016 07:44 PM

I think it's EFL on this one guy's... (english fifth language... Actually maybe 6th...)

Regardless, I think you should consider a Civic or Corolla instead of the lancer.

b0unce. [?] 02-15-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang766 (Post 8727492)
Craiglist is.good is your got knowledge buying used car. I dont. Im going dealership since its safer route but pay more

Buying a car from a dealership is not always the "safest" bet.

skiiipi 02-15-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang766 (Post 8727489)
Reason im.getting car is company moving n fraser way. If i transit it be 1 hour 20 if i drive its like 25 min according to google maps.

I think I know what you are trying to say, and I understand your need for a car.

But when you are making $2000/month you should not be buying a vehicle that is over 20K.....an 8 year finance does not make sense.

Buy a 5000 car for now, drive it for a few years, and save up. There will be plenty of time left to buy what you want later on.

General rule of thumb is don't spend more than 50% of your annual salary on a car, but NEVER spend more than your annual salary on a car.

you'll make more money later on, and you will be able to get what you want.
you don't want the stress of car payments when you are just starting your career. (Trust me.....I've been there, I bought my Spec B brand new when I was only making $36K/year, and ended up not not being able to afford to insure it and took the bus for a long time)

dared3vil0 02-15-2016 08:21 PM

Yikes with 2k income...

20k+ tax / 84 months = $267/month
Figure insurance ~$200-250
Gas?? $200/month ROUGH estimate.

$2000 monthly gross income is like what, $~1600 net?

Total = $667-717 per month on JUST the car, excluding basic maintenance.

Not feasible man.

Retrac 02-15-2016 08:25 PM

skiipi and others are providing you free sound advice OP, take it!

If you don't trust yourself buying a used car from Craigslist bring a friend and bring it to a mechanic you trust or one of the many wonderful sponsors on this site for a PPI.

It will save you a bunch in the long run.

Lomac 02-15-2016 08:31 PM

Just as an example:

2005 Honda Civic DX VP

98,000km's!

There are dozens of great cars under $5k that are highly reliable that would require nothing more than general maintenance (which is something you'll have to do on a new car anyway).

inv4zn 02-15-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang766 (Post 8727489)

Here are a few things to consider:

1: $12/hour is not a lot of money. And getting a $34 raise per month isn't actually a raise, it's a middle finger from your employer.

2: Banks probably won't finance you at 0% for 84 months. The rate is "on approved credit", and something tells me you won't qualify. Of course, I may be wrong.

3: If you factor in gas and insurance, and occasional maintenance, you will be so fucked up financially, which is why all of us are telling you not to.

I understand you need a car to commute, but don't want to buy used because you don't know much about cars. You probably picked the Lancer because it's cheap, but skipped over the DE and ES trims because hey, it's a new car, you might as well get some nice bells and whistles right?

NO.

What you're doing is "How to fuck things up 101" - it is a terrible decision, and more of a self-justification than an actual decision.

Use the $5000 to buy a $3000 civic with manual windows. Get it inspected before you buy it. Save up the money until you either have enough money to buy a nicer car, or make more money to be able to finance.

The guys here are giving you the best advice anyone can give a stranger. You should probably listen to it.

skiiipi 02-15-2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8727540)
And getting a $34 raise per month isn't actually a raise, it's a middle finger from your employer.

LOL this is so true...but it could be worse.

I got a 0.06/hr raise one year.....and when my boss told me, I was like "seriously....you would've pissed me off less by telling me I'm not getting a raise this year"

ilovebacon 02-15-2016 08:46 PM

If it's your first vehicle, I would suggest you to get a second hand car.

mustang766 02-15-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrac (Post 8727528)
skiipi and others are providing you free sound advice OP, take it!

If you don't trust yourself buying a used car from Craigslist bring a friend and bring it to a mechanic you trust or one of the many wonderful sponsors on this site for a PPI.

It will save you a bunch in the long run.

PPI?????
Which mechanic place is good you say???it cost like.100 each time get mechanic to.inspect it

3 transfer from my house to north fraser way in bby. Take over one hour..either i get car and if not i quit. I done job with one hour 30 commute each way 3 transfer and its tough for 9 am start so.i have get up like 7.and leave l'īke.730am approx
U miss.one bus or the bus is late your other transfer bus be gone and you be.late