REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #26
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Yes. The pressure of the hydraulic system is controlled by the driver and the pressure on the front left and front right should be the same. But having bad shocks/struts affect the stopping distance of your vehicle. So instead of braking normally you are now pressing the brake pedal harder trying to stop, this you put more pressure on the brake pedal which push more pressure on the brakes.

You can read up here. http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/...orn-shocks-do/
Advertisement

Last edited by Impreza; 02-20-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
Suspension will have 0 impact on brake components seeing as they are in fact attached to the bottom of the struts.
alignment can cause a vibration, but when you change your rotors and drive 10k with no more issue but comes back and again is remedied from rotors its very clear the issue is not the suspension. Not to mention G35's were known for this problem from day one and the easy fix was non-OE pads.
I disagree because of my personal experience. I should have been more specific when I said suspension: steering geometry. There are two main reasons for brake vibration. The first is steering geometry issues and the second is installation or hub run-out issues. Both of these are components of a vehicle's suspension. Steering geometry issue can develop from hitting a curb or pot hole. I have had this very issue on my evo 9.

In my case the suspension was way out of alignment due to steering geometry issues and I developed groves in my rotors as they wore unevenly over time. Again note...this happened over time and wasn't something noticeable immediately. Of course I didn't know this at the time and as such couldn't resolve the issue despite trying different pad compounds until the car got another alignment as it turns out that the settings had deviated substantially due to another issue. This also resulted in wearing down a set of Michelin PSS down to almost no tread withing a 1.5 year time span and less than 10,000 miles. So yes suspension can have a huge impact on brakes among other components.

As per this being a G35 specific issue...you'd know more than me. However the fact remains that suspension can and will have a severe impact on braking. Moreover the OP stated
Quote:
steering wheel vibrates under braking, strong enough to be alarming on the highway
So once again...sounds like suspension related issue to me.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
Yes. The pressure of the hydraulic system is controlled by the driver and the pressure on the front left and front right should be the same. But having bad shocks/struts affect the stopping distance of your vehicle. So instead of braking normally you are now pressing the brake pedal harder trying to stop, this you put more pressure on the brake pedal which push more pressure on the brakes.

You can read up here. KYB Americas | What worn shocks do (or don?t do)
Only way that makes enough of a difference in a average road going vehicle is with a completely obliterated suspension system and is not applicable to this situation at all.
In theory, yes having to push harder on the pedal to stop would cause increased heat, but AGAIN this is a road going car that's been maintained with all needed items. It does not have completely blown shocks allowing for such a drastic weight shift that he has to brake harder.

Far reach even if they were blown to say that this is the case as the springs are far more load bearing and don't simply fail.

Only time this would be a measurable effect on a car would be in a track situation under repeated heavy loadings.

This idea that the suspension (shocks) are so bad that they cause rotor warping (fyi, there not warped) is as applicable as saying a clean car gets better fuel milage than a dirty one because it has less wind resistance and weight. It is TRUE but it is so minute that there is no measurable quantity to show such a minor thing. Shocks being blown will kill stopping distance tho, but only because you no longer are able to maintain a consistent contact patch between the tire and road, not the brakes.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW

Last edited by BoostedBB6; 02-20-2016 at 06:55 PM.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
I disagree because of my personal experience. I should have been more specific when I said suspension: steering geometry. There are two main reasons for brake vibration. The first is steering geometry issues and the second is installation or hub run-out issues. Both of these are components of a vehicle's suspension. Steering geometry issue can develop from hitting a curb or pot hole. I have had this very issue on my evo 9.

In my case the suspension was way out of alignment due to steering geometry issues and I developed groves in my rotors as they wore unevenly over time. Again note...this happened over time and wasn't something noticeable immediately. Of course I didn't know this at the time and as such couldn't resolve the issue despite trying different pad compounds until the car got another alignment as it turns out that the settings had deviated substantially due to another issue. This also resulted in wearing down a set of Michelin PSS down to almost no tread withing a 1.5 year time span and less than 10,000 miles. So yes suspension can have a huge impact on brakes among other components.

As per this being a G35 specific issue...you'd know more than me. However the fact remains that suspension can and will have a severe impact on braking. Moreover the OP stated
So once again...sounds like suspension related issue to me.
OP has not abnormal tire wear issues, is a dealer service car with everything up to date and is driving a car KNOWN for brake issues causing pad transfer to the rotors due to the pad compound being used.

IF it has ANYTHING to do with the suspension the vibration at speed would be felt even after replacing calipers/rotors/pads, it would not be gone for 10k and then come back.

This has nothing to do with suspension, it is the pads. G35's had this issue, its well known. Hell, take a die grinder with a scuff cookie on there and just rip it across the rotors and make a fresh surface for the pads to contact and go for a drive, the vibration will be gone but will return after a short while as the pad material re-transfers to the rotor.

Unless your EVO 9 had its hubs changed when you had it aligned you had no brake issues. Caster, camber, toe and thrust angle are the standard things adjusted during an alignment, none of which have any impact on brake wear or function but they WILL destroy tires. You can disagree till your blue in the face, but the fact of the matter is there is no suspension geometry change that effect rotor to pad wear or alignment. If you find one I would love to know about it so I can better do my job

Last edited by BoostedBB6; 02-20-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #30

Steering angle, wheel alignment, shocks, springs, unicorns will not do ANYTHING to the brakes of a car to increase wear.

On a G35, the caliper, hub and rotor are all ridged mounted to the knuckle. This knuckles moves as one (effecivly) solid unit. No matter how you change the steering angle or suspension you so not change how the pads contact the rotor, or the angle of the rotor to the caliper. They remain ridged mounted to the knuckle.
So no matter what you are lead to believe, having a bad alignment will not cause groves in your rotors. The rotor is mounted to the hub, the hub is mounted to the knuckle and the caliper is mounted to the knuckle.
With this setup, the ONLY way to do any damage to the rotor would be to damage the hub that's mounted to the knuckle. IF you managed to do this then you would have a rotor that is no longer aligned with the caliper and could cause issues HOWEVER on a vehicle like a G35 it would cause a significant wheel wobble, vibrations at almost ALL speeds and unless the guy has smashed both hubs equally, would not duplicate on the other side of the car like it has.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Maybe whoever put the wheels on over tightened the lug nuts.

Last edited by cunninglinguist; 02-20-2016 at 10:01 PM.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #32
I STILL don't get it

for what its worth:

- i believe the dealer's consensus was definitely out of true rotors from diagnosis 2 days ago.

- steering vibration only happens when brake is applied. as a previous owner of a tercel with solid front discs small enough to fit 12" wheels on, i can relate to the owner regarding the steering vibration due to bad rotors. i saw the brakes recently, and there were no grooves found. to be clear, there is zero vibration at all when not on the brakes. you can drive this thing with your pinky finger nails with fake nails attached to it...until you need to brake. i read stuff and i believe it's because the hotspots/high spots as boostedbb6 has mentioned aren't in the same exact spots on the rotor from left to right, so if you imagine the pad contacting the rotor in slow motion, there's spots where the pad grabs the rotor more, but it's not the same left to right.

- tires were purchased new sometime around early 2015, michelin ps all season. i took his summer wheels off and put on his winters (separate sets) for him back in october and i noted even minimal wear across the tread. i think the fronts wore down 1/32 and rears by 2/32, or the other way around, no abnormal camber wear. car was driven to okanagan twice in the summer up and down coquihalla. rotors were fine then. it's probably been 4 months since those drives and only now has it been an issue

i believe the tires being okay deems the alignment decent, i'll ask if alignment has been done recently. hub run-out can be eliminated as this would have caused issues from day 1.

Last edited by entrax; 02-20-2016 at 10:14 PM.
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #33
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
So at this point it's just a matter of cutting the rotors and trying out some (recommended) aftermarket pads.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #34
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Damn with all that money spent
Could have gone with a nice 2 piece floating rotor and different pads.
A 2 piece rotor deals with expansion better

I dont know g37's, but torque wheels properly, check the front wheel bearing.
Dragging brakes slowly, as well as standing on them after a lot of usage tends to cause pad deposits. Shorten up those brake distances and use firmer brake applications.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:51 AM   #35
I STILL don't get it

@fliptuner yeah, seems like it

buddy took a photo of invoice. tax in wa $2501.10

wheel bearing is part of the hub = $336
each caliper = 459
that's already $1254 without the stillen rotors and pads or labour or tax.
i didn't bother asking for the 2nd page lol.

if you count the raybestos + lordco rotors + pads 6 months before that...the entire ordeal has been approx $3k in the last year. i keep telling him to just buy an mr2.

looks like the consensus has been:
cut rotors, non-oem pads, torque carefully, firmer brake, shorter time on the brakes. that should be more than enough advice to see if it makes a difference. maybe he was too easy on it after spending so much on it.
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #36

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Well I paid $153us for both front Centric Parts 120.42095 rotors, paired with Akebono ACT1287 that were $53us and I havent had an issue in 10k.

I drive the car, I dont baby it. When I purchased it, it had "drilled and slotted" rotors and hawk pads that nearly rattled my shoulders out of their sockets.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
arent' getting half decent rotors (ie centrics) cheaper than turning the rotors?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
If he's driving the car very little, and braking extremely gently all the time, then my guess would be build up on the rotors that's not getting cleaned off due to the lack of hard use.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #39
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
what's wrong with lordco rotors?
the fact that some of their off-brand parts cost the same as dealer is one of them

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #40
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I don't even bother resurfacing the rotors anymore, they cost practically the same.

Way easier to just replace them then to take the rotors off and get a shop to resurface it from a DIY'er perspective.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #41
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrax View Post
i keep telling him to just buy an mr2.
*Ahem*
I know of one for sale.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #42