REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Anyone have a hookup w/ a local Toyota dealer/sales?

Planning on shopping for a 2016 Tacoma this weekend. Know exactly what I want to get, have a good idea of what I can get for my trade, and have cash ready. Planning on hitting up as many local dealerships as possible to get the best offer, but willing to bypass that process if the right deal comes along. Does anyone have a friend in Toyota sales that can hook me up with a good deal?
Advertisement
kerunt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
I've worked at a few Toyota dealers and still do, and I can tell you that your very unlikely to get any kind of deal on the 16 Tacoma. There brand new and people are paying full price for them.
As for a used vehicle for trade, I can almost guarantee what you believe to be a fair price for trade is no where near what they will offer you for it. Always better to sell private and use cash vs. trade in. Remember, they need to make money on the sale of the trade in as well.

I can recommend many great Toyota sales people, but I can tell you that there is no deals to be had from them, just great service.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
I've worked at a few Toyota dealers and still do, and I can tell you that your very unlikely to get any kind of deal on the 16 Tacoma. There brand new and people are paying full price for them.
As for a used vehicle for trade, I can almost guarantee what you believe to be a fair price for trade is no where near what they will offer you for it. Always better to sell private and use cash vs. trade in. Remember, they need to make money on the sale of the trade in as well.

I can recommend many great Toyota sales people, but I can tell you that there is no deals to be had from them, just great service.
I browsed quite a few dealerships' sites and have already noticed some price differences for what appear to be the same trucks. Of course, it's possible that one comes with some unlisted extras and the other doesn't, but who knows.

I hear you about the trade-in cost. I actually reached out to a few dealerships by email, and got two very varied responses (like, $4-5k difference - they received identical emails/details). But that was regarding the previous-gen Tacomas, so perhaps they thought they'd make up the money on a higher-priced sale.

Would be happy to get the recommendation of the sales folks you know.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

The price difference will be valid ones, such as dealer installed options on one and not the other.

Couple good people to talk to are out in Chilliwack (they sell loads of Tacoma's there). One is Rob, he has a 16 Tacoma and has had a 13 prior to it so hes got a lot of time behind the wheel. Also, Ken, hes awesome to deal with and will do whatever you need (within his powers) to get the deal done for you.

But with the trade, expect low $$.
What are you looking to trade in?

This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks. Chilliwack being the "Valley Toyota Scion" dealership?
Old 02-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerunt2 View Post
Thanks. Chilliwack being the "Valley Toyota Scion" dealership?
Thats the one.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
I am Hook'd on RS

To the two guys that PM'ed me - did you get my replies? I'm not getting any confirmation message after sending the reply, and my 'sent box' is empty, so I'm not sure that's working. In any case - thanks for the info!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i'm in the middle of finding a toyota rav4 hybrid for my dad, so i'm sort of in the same boat. i used unhaggle.com as a starting point and went from there. some dealers replied back with better prices than what i tried to do on my own, and then used the lowest one to go back to the dealers i tried on my own and some of them were willing to deal. trade in is a sticking point at the moment, as is inventory because hybrids are selling like crazy and selection is low. but i'm hoping to get my dad into a new toyota before the end of this month.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks again, everyone.

Picked one up from Valley Tacoma. Got (expectedly) screwed on the trade-in (although that was the GM's decision, and given the demand for these trucks I can't blame him too much), and paid MSRP, but got exactly the build & colour I wanted. Rob knows these trucks inside out and is clearly passionate about them - great to deal with. Much better than the couple salespeople I talked to earlier in the day (at other dealerships).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
As BB6 posted, if your trade-in is of any significant value, you're usually better off selling it privately and buying the new vehicle, straight up.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerunt2 View Post
Thanks again, everyone.

Picked one up from Valley Tacoma. Got (expectedly) screwed on the trade-in (although that was the GM's decision, and given the demand for these trucks I can't blame him too much), and paid MSRP, but got exactly the build & colour I wanted. Rob knows these trucks inside out and is clearly passionate about them - great to deal with. Much better than the couple salespeople I talked to earlier in the day (at other dealerships).
On the plus side for trading in a vehicle, you deduct the trade-in value off the sale price of the new vehicle and you pay less sale taxes. That and you don't have the hassle of trying to sell your vehicle to every lookyloo that comes along.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
On the plus side for trading in a vehicle, you deduct the trade-in value off the sale price of the new vehicle and you pay less sale taxes. That and you don't have the hassle of trying to sell your vehicle to every lookyloo that comes along.
Do they take it off the msrp or the final price tax in?
I think they took it off my final price tax in last time.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post

Scroll down to page 5.

http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_116.pdf
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
If the new vehicle is $50k before tax, and your trade-in is $20k, you get taxed on the $30k price difference.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #15

Glad to hear Rob was able to help you out. Yeah, hes a great guy and knows the Tacoma inside and out. If you have any questions about things to do, different lifts and such give him a call, hes always willing to help out with stuff like that.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Can I ask what you paid OTD?

Thanks!

Congrats on the new car smell!

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I'm amazed that someone came on RS looking for advice, received good advice, took the advice, and actually followed through.. refreshingly awesome!

congrats on the truck!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #18
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post

Used to work in this industry and I can confirm this is all true and good advice.
Curren$y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Can I ask what you paid OTD?

Thanks!

Congrats on the new car smell!
MSRP; list price, freight & PDI, taxes, and even a documentation fee (first time I've paid this BS) = $48,800~ish without a trade-in (for the build/features I picked). I spent some time at other dealerships in the morning and everyone was consistent in not taking a penny off their price. Between calling around and checking stock on Friday afternoon, and getting to the dealerships on Saturday morning/early afternoon, several of the trucks I was interested in had sold. Valley Toyota had also sold an identical (but different colour) truck earlier in the day. These things are literally flying off the shelf, and dealers know it.

A couple dealers had these for a few hundred bucks less (no bullshit documentation fees), but in colours that I didn't like, and were offering even worse trade-in values. I didn't get any sort of "deal," but what I paid was a bit below the hard-maximum I had set out for myself that morning.

I could have probably gotten about $2.5-3k more for my trade-in if I sold it privately, but I also saved about $1.5k in taxes from the trade-in, so to me that was worth the convenience of not having to deal with degenerates off CraigsList.

Plus, the night before I stripped the car of all extra items I had put on it (aftermarket tails, aftermarket grille, cargo cover, trunk liner, trunk tray, cargo management kit, backup camera), so I'll eventually get a bit of cash from that, too.

Seventh vehicle (unless you count the 6 motorcycles), first truck, first time new (unless you count the first bike), paid cash, got exactly what I wanted without having to order and wait. I'm happy. Loving the Tacoma. (Although I have to admit, doing u-turns in underground parking lots is not enjoyable - LOL.)

The only downside to this vehicle is the amount (and cost) of available modifications. With an unlimited bank account it would be a day's worth of work to sink $50k into aftermarket goodies. I absolutely need a canopy, and all quotes I'm getting for the options I want are coming in just under $4k out the door... for some fibreglass, windows, a roll of carpet and some LEDs. FML! LOL

Last edited by kerunt2; 02-22-2016 at 07:25 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #20
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
glad to hear you got the truck you wanted. Not to thread jack but Toyota was second on my list if i did not got with my lariat.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #21
I am Hook'd on RS

1.5 months later and I'm enjoying the truck more and more every day.

Mods so far:
- removed rear seats (20hrs after getting it home) and built a custom dog platform (that still allows for access to storage under and behind rear seats)
- leer 100XR canopy w/ Thule rails, sliding windoors, folding & sliding front window, 2 LED dome lights, carpet and keyless entry; dealer couldn't waterproof it for shit (tried 3 times), so I ended up doing that myself
- weathertech hitch step; hitch lock
- weathertech floor liners
- front bed rail
- 50% tint on front two + sunroof; 5% tint on rear three (stacks w/ OEM tint)
- modified H9 bulbs to fit into H11 low-beams (much better light output)
- retrofitted an aftermarket backup camera (from my ML) to sit behind the front license plate, and set up the display (disassembled + setup on custom backing plate) in the sunglass holder
- hard mounts & hardwire for Valentine V1 and G1WH dash cam
- maglite mounted on side of driver's seat
- white LEDs for dome & map lights
- BFG KO2 tires in 265/70/17 on OEM wheels (went up a size from 265/65/17 OEM tires)

Planned:
- sleeping platform & storage drawers in the bed
- sliders (late summer / autumn)
- 1" or 2" lift (autumn / winter / next year)
- LED light bar between bumper cover & grille (autumn / winter)
- dynomat all over the interior & doors

Distant future wishlist:
- permanent compressor mounted under hood
- deep-cycle battery mounted in bed
- fridge mounted in bed
- expedition rack on canopy rails
- swing-out spare tire carrier

Last edited by kerunt2; 04-12-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Loved my 2010 Tacoma great reliable truck, but god damn I can't believe they are almost 50g's now. Makes me wonder how much the TRD Pro will be next year.

That's a great colour I like the new styling as well
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #23
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
I don't know if you're already on there, but join us on BCToyota4WD on FB. Big community on there. Coffee meets, group buys, trail runs and circle jerking to each others rigs

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:04 AM   #24
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
I don't know if you're already on there, but join us on BCToyota4WD on FB. Big community on there. Coffee meets, group buys, trail runs and circle jerking to each others rigs
Thanks, but I don't use Facebook. Ditched it a year ago, and will never be back.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #25

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
is the flashlight mostly for defense purposes? cause theres much better and smaller flashlights out there and you seem like the kind of person who would know that.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote