REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 PM   #26
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
So basically I get the feeling some peoples stance is that if White COPS can get away with breaking the law than Asian COPS should as well???
No. The problem is that now when the NYPD are backed into a corner with critics saying that cops always get away murder, they can point to the poor asian kid that 'got what he deserved'. So next time a white cop kills another poor black kid, and the media says that cops get preferential treatment when a murder occurs the NYPD can counter saying that they don't, "No, we nailed a bad cop, look at this asian kid. We don't need to prosecute this white cop because he didn't do anything wrong - despite shooting an unarmed teenager."

Quote:
When the guy laid dying the first phone call the COP made was to his union rep. Fuck that COP I'm glad we're finally sentencing these guys when they break the law.
Yes, the asian cop made a bad call, probably deserves the sentence. You're use of "these guys" makes it seem like white cops are getting sentenced the same, when in fact they are not.

Quote:
Also I believe race doesn't have anything to do with it.
Wrong.

Police killed more than 100 unarmed black people in 2015 ? Mapping Police Violence
Coles:
-Police killed at least 102 unarmed black people in 2015, more than any other race.
- Only 9 of the 102 cases resulted in officer(s) being charged with a crime

One of the 9 poor suckers is probably this asian kid.
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2016, 03:51 AM   #27
I STILL don't get it

PSA for Chinese people re: White people
To them you're the model minority. But don't forget that to them you're still a minority.

wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,444 Times in 567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
this is 100% racism.

rookie + asian cop = scapegoat. scapegoat to white vs black racism tension. If Liang was white, he wouldn't be in this situation.

so as we can see, the modern society is still very racist to asians. very cruel if u are a non-wealthy asian living under white man's world. In every job, or organization in the west, if u are asian especially chinese descents you are very likely to be the bottom of the food chain. the whites wont take u in as one them. the blacks will stomp on you (if they have the opportunity). not to mention, Filipinos or others try to beat u.

my recommendations to all u CBC's or first/second generation chinese, that are struggling or not comfortable in white man's game to come home. come and find yourself in your homeland. this is where you belong. the west is not welcome to us, dont beat yourself up. come to China and start a career there instead.
all timpo had to fucking do was use the word "Asian" NYPD officer instead of "Chinese" & we might have avoided seeing gululu post retarded crap lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...

Last edited by ae101; 02-24-2016 at 10:32 PM.
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
No. The problem is that now when the NYPD are backed into a corner with critics saying that cops always get away murder, they can point to the poor asian kid that 'got what he deserved'. So next time a white cop kills another poor black kid, and the media says that cops get preferential treatment when a murder occurs the NYPD can counter saying that they don't, "No, we nailed a bad cop, look at this asian kid. We don't need to prosecute this white cop because he didn't do anything wrong - despite shooting an unarmed teenager."

Yes, the asian cop made a bad call, probably deserves the sentence. You're use of "these guys" makes it seem like white cops are getting sentenced the same, when in fact they are not.

Wrong.

Police killed more than 100 unarmed black people in 2015 ? Mapping Police Violence
Coles:
-Police killed at least 102 unarmed black people in 2015, more than any other race.

You're claiming white COPS aren't getting charged with committing crimes then post a link where 1/9 COPS charged was Asian. What was the ethnicity of the other 8 COPS?

I've read reports on White officers being charged for crimes committed before, so its not exactly the first time an officer has been caught committing a crime or killing someone.

If the NYPD is choosing now to prosecute their own, don't be surprised when you read an article of a Black, Asian, Latino, or even White COP being charged with murder. I'd imagine it won't be the only time a COP is charged with murder.

I also don't know what the NYPD was suppose to do other than charge the guy. The video from the protest video says the bullet deflected down the staircase - this is incorrect.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
But don't forget that to them you're still a minority.
Not in Vancouver.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #31
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Quote:
Coles:

Here's an interesting tidbit straight from that website:

Quote:
A victim was coded as Unarmed in the database if they were one or more of the following:

* not holding any objects or weapons when killed
* holding household/personal items that were not used to attack others (cellphone, video game controller, cane, etc.)
* holding a toy weapon (BB gun, pellet gun, air rifle, toy sword)
* an innocent bystander or hostage killed
* a pedestrian or motorist accidentally hit by a police car or passengers in a vehicle chased by police with no weapon on them
* drivers or passengers accidentally hit by a police car
* drivers killed while fleeing who do not hit, drag or drive towards officers or civilians
* a person who dies in police custody after a police use of force or police neglect of their medical needs
* alleged to be armed by the police, but multiple independent witnesses maintain the person was unarmed, video evidence shows that the person was unarmed, and/or circumstances indicate it was physically impossible for that person to be armed (i.e. claiming a person shot themselves with their own gun while handcuffed and under surveillance in police custody after being searched for weapons)

http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/aboutthedata/
Not diminishing the numbers posted on that site, but when an officer sees someone holding an airsoft gun (and those can look extremely realistic) they're going to assume worst case. They're not going to wait to see if it fires live ammo or tiny pellets.

Those three that I put in bold can skew the "unarmed" numbers in an awkward way. It also doesn't differentiate between accidental and intentional deaths.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:23 AM   #32
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 2,301 Posts
Old 02-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #33
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
You're claiming white COPS aren't getting charged with committing crimes then post a link where 1/9 COPS charged was Asian. What was the ethnicity of the other 8 COPS?
To clarify, the specific 'crime' was killing 102 unarmed black criminals (in 2015). There are countless other crimes where someone could have possibly been armed, with a butter knife, or with a gun, that aren't even documented in the research cited.

Looking at it from a statistical point of view if you really want:
Quote:
Asian, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, American Indian or Alaska Native persons comprised 3 percent of local police officers in 2013
- source: Newsweek
Even if asians made up 3% of the total police force in the USA, why does this asian represent 1/9 (11%) of all the cases that a cop is getting charged?

Quote:
I've read reports on White officers being charged for crimes committed before, so its not exactly the first time an officer has been caught committing a crime or killing someone.
I'm just going to repost this video incase you didn't watch it from above:

I don't have time right now, but do some investigation into how many of these cops were properly prosecuted. And by properly - I mean sent to prison.

Quote:
If the NYPD is choosing now to prosecute their own, don't be surprised when you read an article of a Black, Asian, Latino, or even White COP being charged with murder. I'd imagine it won't be the only time a COP is charged with murder.

I also don't know what the NYPD was suppose to do other than charge the guy.
I'm not saying it's incorrect to charge this asian cop for what he did. It is however, incorrect to charge him DIFFERENTLY from all of the other cops that have committed other crimes.

Quote:
The video from the protest video says the bullet deflected down the staircase - this is incorrect.
Why is it incorrect that a bullet deflected down a staircase? Did the evidence not show a ricochet mark on the wall?

Some homework:
1. Case study: Racism in Policing (LAPD)

2. The cases where US police have faced killing charges - BBC News

The fact that racism in policing has made headlines in Politics, CNN, BBC, TYT etc. hopefully gives some weight that it isn't a 'made up issue'.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #34

^ One guy gets arrested you immediately claim racism. When did revscene become a BLM movement site...

If you think the system is against you, you really gotta give your head a shake (assuming your ethnicity is Asian)...
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #35
linguistic ninja

Thanked 1,087 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Not in Vancouver.
Wrong. If you are Asian you are still a minority in Vancouver. For the City proper and Metro.

At last count in the 2011 census, East Asians made up only about 30% of the population of Vancouver city. The proportion is likely less so for Metro Vancouver, even taking Richmond (56% Asian btw) into account as it only has a population of 200k. The projections for 2030 have Asians at 36%. BUT white people will be a minority by then at 39%.

But statistics aside, the entire power structure of the city and Province , is still old-guard White Anglo Saxon. The Police officers, establishment, and decision makers in this province are still overwhelmingly white. The most desirable areas of the city (recent overseas-buyer purchases aside): Kits, Shaughnessy, Point Grey are all still overwhelmingly White.

I get it, you're standing on the corner of Kingsway and Fraser or shopping in Metro and look around, you feel like a sore thumb. Doesn't mean these masses hold any actual power. Unfortunately it will continue this way until new Asian immigrants assimilate and seek public office.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #36
linguistic ninja

Thanked 1,087 Times in 359 Posts
Oh shit, I just got thanked by Gululu. Take it back, take it back!

I didn't want to come across as whiny and conspiratorial in my previous post. I'm just sick of hearing (mostly from internet warriors) that somehow Asians "run" this city because there's a large number of them residing here. Look into it and we're not all that different from how things are run in Tulsa, OK.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #37
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
^ One guy gets arrested you immediately claim racism. When did revscene become a BLM movement site...

If you think the system is against you, you really gotta give your head a shake (assuming your ethnicity is Asian)...
I'm shaking my head alright. Shaking my head at your posts.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #38
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 2,710 Times in 569 Posts
Quote:

If you seriously think that racism doesn't exist in Policing, then "you really gotta give your head a shake".

I don't want to get into a debate over this, but racism is definitely alive and well.

As for Liang's case, yes, he may be a "scapegoat." Or, he might be the first of many officers to be convicted, and coincidentally, he's Asian. As long as the NYPD can stay consistent and treat ALL officers in the future involved in wrongful killings the same way, then I have no problems with this conviction.

-2011 BMW E92 335i- Current
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible- SOLD

Last edited by xXSupa; 03-02-2016 at 12:01 AM.
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #39
SiRVs up, dude

Last edited by SiRV; 03-30-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: irrelevant
SiRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
I'm just going to repost this video incase you didn't watch it from above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0f_nFKVoyQ
I was only able to watch like 1 minute of this guy but it is clearly a position of blame the police which I believe is crazy because the information he spews is a social/cultural issue. I realize posting on here is futile but I hope everyone else can see several flaws in everything he says:
1. Huffington Post is NOT a credible source
2. There is a lot more people in USA than Finland/Denmark
3. Taze a terrorist/Shoot a bank robber - there is likely more backstory here than he leads on.
4. I didn't watch much more but other posts on here are quite insightful especially LOMAC who points out the definition of UNARMED VICTIMS. Stats can be used in a variety of ways and having quick opinions on complex situations is absurd.

Yes racism exists, pointing it out helps legitimize its presence. But it is no where near what it used to be and we are slowly making progress which will be a generational change not a short term correction.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
SiRVs up, dude

^just out of curiosity, what news source(s) do you consider 'credible', and secondly what makes it so?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #42
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

This just happened this week. 27 year old Chinese American soldier Kevin Yeung reportedly "committed suicide" while on duty patrolling in Colorado Springs. Again, there is no reports on mainstream media because nobody gives a flying fuck. Most likely tortured/humiliated by his mates and documented as suicide after they done with him.
His parents are seeking justice and sadly only a few Chinese media reported it.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #43
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 8,025 Times in 2,085 Posts
^
How do you come to that conclusion without knowing the facts?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #44
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

With racial tensions at all time high, I would like to express a word of caution to all Chinese working in the public service industries to exercise great cautions. Be very careful of your co-workers and superiors, as they would LOVE to put you into a difficult position. This goes to all the Chinese working in paramedics, policing, military, bus drivers, postmen, etc

Look, the mainstream don't care about your well-being. You might love Canada/America, BUT does Canadian/American love you? Do they appreciate you? Think carefully.

Nowadays the people in China don't care about Chinese-American (as they are considered Americans not Chinese). So you are stuck in the middle of both cultures. Unliked by both your Chinese and American counterparts. You got it tough.

That's why I mentioned earlier, Chinese Canadians are encouraged to move back to our homeland. Where you and your expertise will be much appreciated and no more racist bullshit that dominates the workforce.

Last edited by Gululu; 03-31-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #45
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,111 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
You might love Canada/America, BUT does Canadian/American love you? Do they appreciate you? Think carefully.
Huh...since when did the Chinese care about Canada/America? All you people do best is pillage land, resources and move on to the next place you haven't invaded yet without regards on the local people and their customs

Quote:
Nowadays the people in China don't care about Chinese-American (as they are considered Americans not Chinese).
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Quote:
That's why I mentioned earlier, Chinese Canadians are encouraged to move back to our homeland. Where you and your expertise will be much appreciated and no more racist bullshit that dominates the workforce.
That's why the working class gets paid peanuts right?
How bout you lead by example and leave and never come back.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #46
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,052 Posts
Quote:
This just happened this week. 27 year old Chinese American soldier Kevin Yeung reportedly "committed suicide" while on duty patrolling in Colorado Springs. Again, there is no reports on mainstream media because nobody gives a flying fuck. Most likely tortured/humiliated by his mates and documented as suicide after they done with him.
Considering there are roughly 3200 suicides every year in the USA, one single person isn't going to make the news. Sorry, but this guy wasn't any more special than the next person who offed themselves.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #47
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 18,415 Times in 3,973 Posts
Quote:
LOL TIL that newspapers report white people committing suicide and not Chinese.
You are truly special.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #48
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,499 Times in 415 Posts
Quote:
With racial tensions at all time high, I would like to express a word of caution to all Chinese working in the public service industries to exercise great cautions. Be very careful of your co-workers and superiors, as they would LOVE to put you into a difficult position. This goes to all the Chinese working in paramedics, policing, military, bus drivers, postmen, etc

Look, the mainstream don't care about your well-being. You might love Canada/America, BUT does Canadian/American love you? Do they appreciate you? Think carefully.

Nowadays the people in China don't care about Chinese-American (as they are considered Americans not Chinese). So you are stuck in the middle of both cultures. Unliked by both your Chinese and American counterparts. You got it tough.

seriously, where in the hell do you get all your info from? is this from personal experience?

that is quite the generalization you have. racism is everywhere, not just chinese. don't think that only your ethnicity is being targeted. this goes for public AND private sectors. imo, i think its worst in private sectors.

if chinese canadians were to be much more appreciated back at "our homeland" why do they flock into canada and not just stay at their "homeland".

you seriously baffle me.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote