REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Ontario to offer free tuition for students from low-income families

Quote:

The vast majority of students whose families make under $50,000 will receive free college and university tuition under changes to student aid made in this year’s Ontario budget that represent the most radical shift in decades in how the province delivers loans and grants to postsecondary students
For the first time, this budget opens financial aid to mature students regardless of how long they have been out of school and decreases the spousal contribution, further increasing the pool of students who might consider attending postsecondary.
I was reading about this happening to Ivy League students...totally wasn't expecting it here that soon. I wonder who's gonna pay for it

Ontario to offer free tuition for students from low-income families - The Globe and Mail
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

we already pay for post secondary tuition, it's called taxes for publicly funded universities.

They need to change the rules on how endownments and budgets work.

Universities constantly spending just so they can blow their budget so they dont have to return any funds.

Granted it does employ a fuckload of people at UBC.

It's like a no win.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Given the huge provincial finance deficit that Ontario is already in, I can't help but feel like this is just a good looking gesture the Ontario government threw in to soften the blow of an otherwise tax-increasing, fee-hiking provincial budget. IMO, they really do not have the financial means to support a program like this, and shouldn't have spent the money to do so. But helping the poor always look good to the general public, and helping the poor through university at the hopes of landing a better future looks even better. And thus we have this provincial freebie.

Gosh... I sound like a grumpy, cynical old man...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

What about people that don't come from low-income families but parents don't pay for their schooling?
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
then you take out loans
inb4 Maserati 'owners' with N signs get free edumacation at UBC
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
So we're going to provide free education to mainlanders that don't declare their income from abroad? Sounds like a plan.
Spoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
The article clearly states that their just combining existing subsidies and that the budget is remaining the same.

That said everything I read about Ontario's government makes me thank God for christy clark
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote